DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Differences in Beachtek XLR adaptors for GH4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/523925-differences-beachtek-xlr-adaptors-gh4.html)

Chad Hucal July 1st, 2014 01:02 PM

Differences in Beachtek XLR adaptors for GH4?

Hello,

I am putting together a GH4 package and need an XLR adaptor. I'm wondering if anyone knows which of the Beachtek options are better? I don't have the GH4 in-hand yet. Does it have build in AGC or limiting?

These are the options I'm looking at through B&H;

Camcorder XLR Adapters | B&H Photo Video

Any difference between the DXA-SLR $250 and the DXA-SLR Mini Pro HDSLR $300 in regards to working with the GH4? All I want to do is add an external Shotgun XLR mic, nothing out to monitors, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Les Wilson July 1st, 2014 03:22 PM

Re: Differences in Beachtek XLR adaptors for GH4?

You want a model that is not passive. i.e it has preamps. Check out the Juicedlink devices as well.

Chad Hucal July 1st, 2014 07:57 PM

Thanks for the input Les. I might go with this one.

JuicedLink option;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893485-REG/juicedLink_rm202_Riggy_Micro_2XLR_Without_Phantom_Pre_Amp.html
One thing that is confusing though is what cable it comes with. On the manufacturer website it says it includes a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (listed under Accessories). But on the B&H page, one of the first reviewers notes it came with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable so he had to buy a replacement.

I assume the GH4 has 3.5mm jack input?

Les Wilson July 1st, 2014 08:21 PM

You can't really trust end user reviews. Own this. Read the GH4 specs so you know.

The B&H website says the Juicedlink comes with" "9" (23cm) Length, 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS Stereo Audio Cable". I would contact B&H and ask them to clarify what it comes with and fix the review.

Colin McDonald July 2nd, 2014 02:54 AM

GH4 specs are in the Basic user manual (not the advanced one) p120

Quote:

Terminal
[REMOTE] φ 2.5 mm jack
[AV OUT/DIGITAL] Dedicated jack (8 pin)
[HDMI] MicroHDMI Type D
[MIC] φ 3.5 mm jack
Headphone φ 3.5 mm jack
Flash synchro Available
It doesn't state whither TS or TRS but references elsewhere (in the advanced manual) to recording with the optional stereo mic makes it clear that it must be a 3.5 mm TRS (stereo) jack.

Chad Hucal July 2nd, 2014 10:23 AM

Thanks for both your input. B&H replied to my email to say that the JuicedLink unit does come with a 3.5 to 3.5 cable.

I had already seen the GH4 specs that showed the 1/8 3.5 audio jack on the GH4, but since I'm not familiar with Panasonic (this is going to be my first as I'm selling my Nikon DSLR and Sony EX1 to afford the new Panasonic) I wanted a confirmation from a current user. Only because of this B&H listing for a cable for the Beachtek adaptors;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851851-REG/Beachtek_SC25_SC25_3_5mm_to_2_5mm.html
It says Lumix DSLR cameras have a 2.5mm jack. So that's why I wanted to confirm. I'm assuming now they meant smaller Lumix point & shoot pocket cameras? Either way, at least I won't order the wrong items now based on their descriptions and reviews.

Thanks again.

Les Wilson July 2nd, 2014 08:45 PM

It's great you nailed it down. Now you know you are ordering the right stuff. Also, by documenting it here, others may come along later with the same question and find an answer. Well done.

Be patient learning the Panny approach. Give yourself time to learn the features. In particular, pay attention to the record button behavior and how to manually focus. On the GH3, if the overlay displays had turned off (which they did after 10 seconds) and you pressed record, recording did not start. It only turned on the overlay displays. If the overlays had not turned off, then record started recording. Most people gave up on the record button and used the shutter button.

Chad Hucal July 3rd, 2014 10:53 AM

I did learn about the overlays disappearing, so good to know about the record button. Panasonic says the overlays disappear to avoid image burn-in on the oled screens.

I wasn't as active on this forum with my EX1 adventures, but I will try to do more with the GH4, both so I learn more and hopefully share info.

Dan Brockett July 9th, 2014 06:47 PM

If you have not ordered the Beachtek or Juicedlink yet, I would recommend checking out the Tascam DA60 over either. Half the cost and includes a recorder and better features. The Beachtek and Juicedlink are overpriced for what they do.

I have been using the DA60 with my GH4 for a couple of months now and it has performed admirably on a number of broadcast and studio projects so the quality is decent.

Mark Whittle July 9th, 2014 08:36 PM

Lumix GH2 has 2.5mm mic input & no headphone output.

GH3 & GH4 have 3.5mm.

John Nantz July 10th, 2014 10:42 AM

Dan -
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1854711)
If you have not ordered the Beachtek or Juicedlink yet, I would recommend checking out the Tascam DA60 over either. .

Just did a search for the DA60 and after looking at the pictures I couldn't figure out how that would work with a camera. At the bottom of the search list was the DR60 so I searched on that - looked much better. Is this the one?

Dan Brockett July 18th, 2014 01:09 AM

Sorry John, typo, I meant DR60. Sorry for any confusion.