GH4, ok what video lenses to buy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: GH4, ok what video lenses to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
As a previous Leica owner I can absolutely believe this. This is certainly on my wish list.
I just got it yesterday and it's now my favorite lens on my GH4.

Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #17
Trustee

Example video, handheld, using the GH4 plus the Nocticron:

Taken at dusk with an .8 ND filter to explore the bokeh when shooting with wide aperture, and the ability of the OIS.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Trustee

The Nocticron Lens Belongs in a Museum

In museums light is the enemy of artifacts, so they are dark. Perfect for a fast f1.2 lens. Handheld to test the OIS. Close-ups to test the bokeh and focus.

Dinosaurs, dioramas, lizards, lectures, gemstones, mummies, and even a ghost. Plus a trip to the museum store.

Shutter-priority at 1/60th.

Old August 12th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Trustee

GH4 + Nocticron in dark Grand Central Terminal:

Old August 31st, 2014, 11:40 PM   #20
New Boot

Well I used it to film my first movie short. I was using a small stage maybe 12' by 36' so the half frame sensor really bit me in my the b*tt. I used the pany 7-14, pany 15X and the pany 35-100X. Those Panasonic X lenses are nice. I should have gone with the Nikon 810 or Canon mark5 IIID. It was just too frustrating because I couldn't seem to get wide enough. I am also not a camera master. I was considering using a ENG camera because after you get it that's it, you don't have to worry about lenses your STUCK.
However I am willing to rent and use the GH4 again(right away).

I also blew it when I tried to focus a few times with the LCD screen and not the EVF. I shot in Cinema 4K at 24fps. 80% of the video I love. 20% I wish I could do over.

I also think that with this half frame sensor if someone's standing sideways their left arm can be in focus, and their right arm be out of focus.

Here is Trailer btw(314mb).

Here is part on Vimeo(36mb)
Michael Rangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

A 7-14mm not wide enough? Realy? 7mm is about fisheye. I hope you don't mind me saying but the video example you show and the comments you give show a lack of understanding how a dslr works, you think a m4/3 camera is difficult to maintain focus and that you would be better of with a full frame camera? You will be in for a big surprise :)

I think you are better of with a small sensor camera with a fixed lens that gives you front to back focus, dslr's require experience to get the most from.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:21 AM   #22
Inner Circle

If a 7mm isn't wide enough, I can't think of a video camera that would be wider. Most would be less wide. If there isn't enough room in the room to set the camera back from the action, it's time to reassess how the filming is to proceed.
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:58 PM   #23
New Boot

Oh, I thought that the 7-14mm was effectively a 14-28 because of the sensor. I thought just because its a micro 4/3 mount that doesn't mean it's been built for a half sensor.
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi:

Not sure what your term, "half sensor" means? An M43 sensor is much smaller than most other DSLR sensors, perhaps it would behoove you to take a look at this and physically compare the size of the sensors? http://cvp.com/images/uploaded/sensor_table.gif An M43 sensor isn't a half of any other sensor, it is 17.8 x 10mm. Also, are you shooting UHD 4K with the GH4? If so, the crop factor is larger than 2.0X, it is more like 2.3X so the actual FOV of the 7-14mm lens would be 16.1mm x 32.2mm when shooting UHD. When shooting people (in full frame 35mm FOV terms), avoid a FOV of wider than 28mm as the edges of the frame will distort faces and generally make people located toward the edges of the frame look really unflattering.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:56 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Here is a still from something I did on Friday with the Lumix 20mm lens. I was about 3 1/2 feet from the subject in a very tight space, maybe less. In my opinion I have plenty of room in the shot. A 7mm lens would have given me lots of image, too much in fact.

Your footage confuses me as I see a set but you seem to be very close in. Are you trying to avoid showing the theater? Theatrical productions are not cinematic with actors positioned to fill the stage for the live audience. Cinema and video makes people look far away so actors are frequently un-naturally close when filming. The audio needs help also. Don't use the GH4 camera mike. At least get a directional mike like a Rode.
Attached Thumbnails
GH4, ok what video lenses to buy?-clip-16.jpeg  
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:00 PM   #26
New Boot

Why didn't someone tell me that Trailer was so messed up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9cs...ature=youtu.be
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:00 AM   #27
Inner Circle

That's better but not by much. You have a nice camera to work with but perhaps it's a little too finicky for the level you are at right now. These DSLR cameras are not easy to pop out of the box and get filming complex projects right away. You might want to get somebody with some filming experience to help out with composition and focus. Observe them and learn how to do it yourself. There are some very good on-line courses for the GH series.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
You might want to get somebody with some filming experience to help out with composition and focus. Observe them and learn how to do it yourself. There are some very good on-line courses...
Excellent advice.

Kudos for attempting something, lots of people never get that far. I didn't watch the whole trailer but saw enough to recognize that at this time, your camera and lenses are not your limiting factors.
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rangel View Post
I was strongly considering the GH4(over A7s). My last dilemma was what about lenses. I will be shooting video primarily inside, tripod, with controlled tungsten lighting. I was thinking of Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA, and Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6 G Vario MEGA O.I.S. I thought that would pretty much cover it till I knew more about what I needed. Does that sound like two good lenses? Or if I'm on a tripod and want to zoom inside, just move the camera?

I thought the Sony(a7s) took almost any lens the GH4 was trickier because of sensor size.

BTW this is my first camera so I have a lot to learn.
I was thinking about getting the Metabones EF to MFT speedbooster and a set of Rokinon Cine lenses for narrative. Right now I'm using the Lumix 14 - 45mm for events. Also considering the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom OIS Lens for doing dance concerts.
Salvatore Privitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #30
New Boot

Salvatore, do you use the internal 4K? I shot my stuff with the internal 4K. Which I had to dummy down to send anywhere anyways. That 14mm is wide enough? How far away are you generally in these events, 'stands' or 'behind curtain'?

Theres a big article on that Speedbooster in B&H. They may make a new Speedbooster because of GH4.

How to Emulate Super 35mm 4K Video with the Panasonic GH4 | explora
panasonic-gh4?page=1

If there was no Sony A7s I probably would have bought the Gh4 already. I am trying to rent what I need to shoot then be done with it. I don't shoot for a living. But at the price I would like to have the camera so I could get more comfortable with it.
Michael Rangel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series