DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH4, ok what video lenses to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/524199-gh4-ok-what-video-lenses-buy.html)

Michael Rangel July 20th, 2014 11:17 AM

GH4, ok what video lenses to buy?

I was strongly considering the GH4(over A7s). My last dilemma was what about lenses. I will be shooting video primarily inside, tripod, with controlled tungsten lighting. I was thinking of Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA, and Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6 G Vario MEGA O.I.S. I thought that would pretty much cover it till I knew more about what I needed. Does that sound like two good lenses? Or if I'm on a tripod and want to zoom inside, just move the camera?

I thought the Sony(a7s) took almost any lens the GH4 was trickier because of sensor size.

BTW this is my first camera so I have a lot to learn.

Gary Huff July 20th, 2014 12:27 PM

Re: GH4, ok what video lenses to buy?

Have you looked at the 14-140? Especially the revamped model with the 58mm filter thread.

Michael Rangel July 20th, 2014 01:38 PM

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH? I think one reviewer said that lens made a low pitched noise. But I will say that does look like one lens that can do everything I need done. I am not doing photography just video so I want the best shot I can get, but I am also under a budget and have to use what I've got also.

Noa Put July 20th, 2014 02:18 PM

The 14-140 has a noisier OIS but if you plan to shoot on a tripod anyway you can turn the stabilisation off. It's a good lens for video, somewhat on the slow side but as long as there is sufficient light then this is not a issue.

Do you really need a 14 to 200 mm zoomrange for indoor shots? Olympus also has a nice set of lenses, often cheaper as they don't have stabilisation as that adds to the cost of a lens, if you shoot from a tripod only you are better of getting a Olympus lens.

Mark Williams July 20th, 2014 05:49 PM

The Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA, and Panasonic 45-175 G lens are what I have and I like them. Agreed that the 45-200 telephoto is overkill for indoor work. I also have the Olympus 60 2.8 macro that I use quite a bit inside and out.

Dan Carter July 20th, 2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Rangel (Post 1855827)
I was strongly considering the GH4(over A7s). My last dilemma was what about lenses. I will be shooting video primarily inside, tripod, with controlled tungsten lighting. I was thinking of Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA, and Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6 G Vario MEGA O.I.S. I thought that would pretty much cover it till I knew more about what I needed. Does that sound like two good lenses? Or if I'm on a tripod and want to zoom inside, just move the camera?

I thought the Sony(a7s) took almost any lens the GH4 was trickier because of sensor size.

BTW this is my first camera so I have a lot to learn.

Can't imagine shooting anything less than f2.8 interiors with the GH3/4. ISO will be severely challenged when zooming the lenses you mention. Have you considered the Lumix 12-35 f2.8?

The a7S and Sony 24-70 f4.0 is an entirely different low-light success story.

Best of luck.

Darrell Varga July 20th, 2014 06:38 PM

The best lens for the GH4 is the Panasonic 12-35. It is 2.8 throughout the focus range, wide enough to work in tight interiors without adding distortion, sharp and low profile. The optical stabilization is very good when needed on hand-held shots. A lower cost and faster lens is the Panasonic 20mm, an excellent focal length for interiors. I would not use any of slower zoom lenses mentioned.

William Hohauser July 20th, 2014 08:00 PM

Remember that these are not classic video lenses. The zooms are not par-focal so focus will not be held throughout the zoom. The exposure on Vario zoom lenses change by steps while zooming, not consistently like a video zoom. The most stabile lens, the 12-35, will have noticable exposure changes during a zoom even though it's 2.8 thru the range. It has to do with the construction of the lens.

Gary Huff July 21st, 2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1855875)
The most stabile lens, the 12-35, will have noticable exposure changes during a zoom even though it's 2.8 thru the range. It has to do with the construction of the lens.

I think people will be far more distracted by the "hesitating" zoom which is prevalent when zooming while recording with these kinds of lenses (vs a servo due to operator) than by slight exposure changes.

William Hohauser July 21st, 2014 09:11 AM

Possibly but the point is that these are not the versatile lenses that we are used to on video cameras. They may be better lenses for image quality but for quick filming they may not be ideal.

Dan Brockett July 21st, 2014 06:56 PM

My style dictates primes.

Panasonic M43 14mm F2.5
Olympus M43 25mm F1.8
Olympus M43 45mm F1.8
Nikon Ai 85mm F1.8 with Metabones Speedbooster

Zooms are handier but slower, heavier and more expensive. I have one client who does not like that I use primes so I may eventually rent the 12-35 3.8 for some of their shoots. Primes just work better for me on 80% of my shoots but occasionally, I really wish I had a variable focal length lens too.

Darrell Varga July 22nd, 2014 07:13 PM

I do not record zooms so any shift in exposure or zoom speed is irrelevant. I use the Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 as very good all-round lenses. They are not heavy at all and quite compact compared with full frame equivalents.

Alan Halfhill August 1st, 2014 07:16 PM

The 14-140 is a great lens. I am not noticing any noise with the lens. I am using this lens more and more. The IOS is better than the Lumix 35-100. I really like the range of the lens. Perfect for run and gun, plays, musicals, live acts, sports and travel. The newer lens is lighter and smaller.

This was shot with this lens.

Silverdale Whaling Days Fireworks. - FrugalFilmmakers.com

The GH4 does a Parade - FrugalFilmmakers.com

A lot of people are complaining about the price of the Lumix 42.5mm f1.2 lens. It is the most expensive lens I have bought in a long time including Canon L glass. But, I have to say it is worth it many times over. Just used it on the last 7 shoots. This includes B-Roll. With the other lenses there is no image stabilization and I like to shoot with out a camera rig to hold the camera. I did not think of this lens as a B-Roll lens but the image stabilization is superb and I love the creamy bokeh. It is my go to lens for A-Roll and now B- Roll as well. Thank you Leica and Panasonic.

Dave Partington August 2nd, 2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Halfhill (Post 1856983)
A lot of people are complaining about the price of the Lumix 42.5mm f1.2 lens. It is the most expensive lens I have bought in a long time including Canon L glass. But, I have to say it is worth it many times over.

As a previous Leica owner I can absolutely believe this. This is certainly on my wish list.

Paul Mailath August 2nd, 2014 09:15 AM

I'm not aware of any lens that doesn't fit on the GH4 as long as you have the adapter. I use a lot of Canon FD primes but there are adapters for a myriad of lenses, PL, Nikon, Canon, - here's a selection for you - this guy makes the best adapters on the market in my opinion, there's a lot of crap out there.

c7 adapters items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!