Anyone using the Tascam DR 60 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone using the Tascam DR 60

I have another question regarding the Tascam DR 60. If I plan on using it, should I still send out the GH4 for servicing the audio buzz or will the DR 60 resolve the issue?
Salvatore Privitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Trustee

The DR60 does not resolve the audio buzz in the GH4. That is still there and if you patch the DR 60 to the GH4 you could still potentially run into the buzz problem if you try to use the GH4 audio track.

I sent mine in for the "fix", they try to give it 3 day "turnaround" at the McAllen facility. They had mine for 3 business days.

I plan on using the DR 60 in dual mode with one track -6db lower than the main, but I'll also take the signal from an output and run it to the GH4 mic in and if that is good enough it simplifies things, otherwise I'll use the audio from the TASCAM and sync in post.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #18
Major Player

I would agree with the other posters on the DR60. I have had it a while now, and would not consider it for field use with batteries as it eats them. When I use it I *always* plug it in. I rely on my Marantz PMD 661 for those kind of field recordings. While the DR60 is a great little cheap recorder, I can see why the field pros rely on SD recorders. you can use Sony batteries with them, they last all day, and the recorders are rugged as you would hope. While we all love our cheap substitutes, and they often work fine where they fit, if you are going to need long battery life, low hassle, and superb sound floors, then save up and buy the real deal, SD.
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I plan on using the DR 60 in dual mode with one track -6db lower than the main, but I'll also take the signal from an output and run it to the GH4 mic in and if that is good enough it simplifies things, otherwise I'll use the audio from the TASCAM and sync in post.
I use this approach to feed a GH3 and G6 from the out jacks for interviews. Because camera preamps can introduce hiss and pumping, I typically use the recordings from the Tascam as the main audio in post. It's pretty clean.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys, for all your input (no pun intended). I think I'll send in my GH4 now because I have a few paying gigs in couple weeks. Also will order the DR60. I'm not doing any field work but will order the optional battery pack.
Old September 26th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
This is exactly how we use it, with the added bonus that the sync button (produces a fixed tone) makes it trivial to sync in post, even by hand.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
The DR60 does not resolve the audio buzz in the GH4. That is still there and if you patch the DR 60 to the GH4 you could still potentially run into the buzz problem if you try to use the GH4 audio track.

I sent mine in for the "fix", they try to give it 3 day "turnaround" at the McAllen facility. They had mine for 3 business days.

Hi Bruce,

Is there an official form that I have to fill out and where do I get it?

Thanks so much
Old September 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
I have had it a while now, and would not consider it for field use with batteries as it eats them.
I ran one for a day and a half powering a shotgun using Energizer Lithium AAs.

If you are going to mount the GH4 on top of it, get this cable.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series