Metabones EF to M4/3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 18th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Austinite

Metabones EF to M4/3

Dear Metabones,

Are you planning on have two adapters or only the speed booster?

EF to M4/3 speed booster with electronics
EF to M4/3 with electronics

Sincerely,
Philip Goetz
Purchasing & E-Commerce, Omega Broadcast
@omegabroadcast on twitter
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Metabones EF to M4/3

Its here. ;)

Officially announced – Metabones Canon EF Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds and Panasonic GH4 | EOSHD.com
Old August 26th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Can some one answer perhaps a silly question? Why can't Metabones make a Micro Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds speedbooter for people that have a collection of lumix lenses. I've asked on other forums and got a reply that it's impossible because a micro four third lens is designed to cover the the 4/3 sensor. So if that's the case then why is my lumix 14 - 45mm giving me 28 - 90mm field of view? It seems like an easy pass through electronic contact and would give us lumix lens owners a great advantage of still having a light weight system, faster lens and correct field of view.
Salvatore Privitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Privitera View Post
Can some one answer perhaps a silly question? Why can't Metabones make a Micro Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds speedbooter for people that have a collection of lumix lenses. I've asked on other forums and got a reply that it's impossible because a micro four third lens is designed to cover the the 4/3 sensor. So if that's the case then why is my lumix 14 - 45mm giving me 28 - 90mm field of view? It seems like an easy pass through electronic contact and would give us lumix lens owners a great advantage of still having a light weight system, faster lens and correct field of view.
They can't do native to native on M43, just like you can't take a Canon lens, use some sort of speedbooster and put it back on a Canon full frame body. It doesn't work that way.

Speed booster works by taking the additional light that would normally be focussed on the area of the sensor that would have been bigger then the sensor in the m43 body.

To clarify, a Canon lens is designed to fill a full 35mm frame whereas the M43 sensor is only a quarter that size (hence the 2x crop, half width, half height). By channeling the extra (normally lost) light from a full 35mm frame in to the smaller sensor size the sensor is effectively getting 'more light' projected on to it than it would if you were just using regular lenses. At the same time you're also increasing (spreading) the field of view because you are effectively reframing that light from a wider angle on to a smaller sensor.

If you were to put an existing M43 lens on such an adapter you could indeed get more light (gain a stop) but you would only be getting it to an even smaller area of the sensor, so you're not longer getting full coverage.

Your 14-45 lens on an m43 body is giving you an equivalent 28-90 field of view on a full 35mm frame, but it's not giving you a 28-90 field of view on a M43, it's giving you a true 14-45. In other words, if you were shooting a 35mm full frame you would need a 28-90 to see the same field of view as you're getting from the 14-45 on m43, but that does not make the lenses equal, nor would the m43 lens be able to project light to cover a full 35mm frame.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave for clearing that up. I guess it's like 16mm film cameras were as 25mm lens is considered normal compared to a 35mm camera were 50mm is considered normal view. So finally I get. I think I'll have to make another investment of several thousand to get what I want in a camera.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
So finally I get. I think I'll have to make another investment of several thousand to get what I want in a camera.
I think that money would be better spent to educate yourself on how cameras work. Seems like that would give your final image a greater benefit over a "better" camera.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary, I think I will educate myself on this concept of lens when it comes to M43. I've been in the field photography and cinematography for over thirty years and work at a film school. I bought this GH4 hoping I could get some decent film look out of this camera. I realize now that it's going to cost me more than expected to achieve the desired effect. I'll have to invest in the speed booster and some cine glass and not rely lumix lenses.
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
I've been in the field photography and cinematography for over thirty years and work at a film school.
And yet here you are asking a question that demonstrates an appalling lack of understanding on how the tech works. Which film school do you work for? Do you teach students at this school?

Quote:
I bought this GH4 hoping I could get some decent film look out of this camera.
And with your field photography and cinematography for over 30 years, you are unable to achieve this? I've only got 15 under my belt and I am turning out great imagery with the GH4.

Quote:
I realize now that it's going to cost me more than expected to achieve the desired effect.
If you have to spend more to achieve a "desired effect" of a film look from a large sensor camera, then I would say the biggest issue is your skill set and not your gear.

Quote:
I'll have to invest in the speed booster and some cine glass and not rely lumix lenses.
Something tells me that still won't fix the problem. Besides, I would think 30 years of experience would have taught you there's no such thing as a free lunch, so I don't see where the "Speed Booster" focal reducer and non-Lumix lenses automagically, in and of itself, gives you a 35mm motion film look.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks again Gary for educating me.
Old December 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Austinite

Looks like there is a speedbooster only. No regular EF to MFT yet... this is for all you 10-22 and 17-55 APS-C (crop) EF lens owners...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Major Player

Phil,

I use the 2 EF MTF attachments from fotodiox one is a mount that comes with the ND throttle and other with a aperture on it. Both work well. The ND throttle is amazing when you are trying to use long lenses as you can use the ND on the fly with nearly 9 stops to play with.

just dropped the idea to buy the metabones as they tend to be out of stock most of the times.

cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series