Suggestions for a mic for the GH4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 7th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Suggestions for a mic for the GH4

Want to get the Rode Videomic Pro but am not sure whether there's still that grounding issue. Also, there may be other options I'm not aware about. The Panasonic mic seems to be picking up a lot of handling noise and since I do a lot of handheld... Any recommendations?
Old September 7th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Suggestions for a mic for the GH4

I've got the Rode, as well known there is an issue with the screw that attaches the hotshoe to the mike itself. It works lose so easily like when carrying the camera about with the mike attached or even when inside a moving vehicle on rough terrain.

I also have a more expensive Shure VP83F. Better specced than the Rode, it works as a standalone recorder (to an internal micro SD card) as well as recording to the camera.
Built like a tank but as I now use a Fhugen cage much better to mount the mike to that rather than to the camera hotshoe.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Ronald. I wasn't aware of the issue with the screw... But that grounding issue has been resolved?

(As far as the cage is concerned- not sure if I want to go that route... How does it work handheld- wouldn't you need sidehandles??Plus I ordered a large eyecup for the GH4, wonder if I can still press it up against my eye with the cage attached...)
Old September 7th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Can I ask where you ordered the eyecup? I"m looking for a better eyecup then the original one. Btw I"m using a Tascam tm-2x, haven"t noticed any weird audio issues so far.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Major Player

It's a cheapo eyecup that was mentioned on DSLR-Newsshooter as a workable solution. Someone else told me he did not have succes with a similar device but for 4,- I was willing to take the risk ;-)

Universal 5 in 1 Eyecup Eye Cup for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Leica Sony DSLR | eBay

That Tascam looks pretty nifty- and very decently priced. You satisfied with the sound/operations? Why not a shotgun microphone?

Last edited by Jeroen Wolf; September 7th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Austinite

This mic takes a microSD card for on board (on mic) recording:

Shure VP83-F LensHopper
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
You satisfied with the sound/operations? Why not a shotgun microphone?
I wanted something small and not too pricey, just that I'd get better ambient sound then the internal mics, I have not had the time to perform any test how it performs compared to the internal mics but from what I hear it does sound decent enough. I use several external recorders to capture important audio throughout the day so the tascam is just for ambient sound.
Old September 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
It's a cheapo eyecup that was mentioned on DSLR-Newsshooter as a workable solution. Someone else told me he did not have succes with a similar device but for 4,- I was willing to take the risk ;-)
Does this particular model fit your gh4? Or do you have to modify it?
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
(As far as the cage is concerned- not sure if I want to go that route... How does it work handheld- wouldn't you need sidehandles??Plus I ordered a large eyecup for the GH4, wonder if I can still press it up against my eye with the cage attached...)
I have the original FHugen Honu cage (current version also fits the Sony A7 series as well as the GH3/GH4 and costs $150) which I've used a couple of times with the Rode Videomic on it rather than the camera shoe (too many cameras have suffered a loose shoe due to heavy accessories).

I simply gripped it by the side pieces, worked real well; the whole setup felt compact well balanced, and secure. Almost sold the cage but glad I didn't.

I also have the GB-1 Gearbox cage, the side pieces are spaced further apart and shaped like handles. Seems to give me quite a bit of stability handheld with more "real estate" on top for mounting things. At a current price of $95 it's almost a "no brainer". I have a Manfrotto 577 quick release adapter on the top of the bottom plate so I can slide cameras in and out as needed. The 501PL setup is compatible with my shoulder rig and both Manfrotto tripod heads.

GB-1: Photography and Cinema - Store · GB-1 GearBox Video Cage

Honu cage: Photography and Cinema - Store · Honu v2.0 GH3/GH4 and Sony A7/A7r/A7s Video Cage
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series