DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   How much are you paying for Shipment to Panasonic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/525207-how-much-you-paying-shipment-panasonic.html)

Salvatore Privitera October 2nd, 2014 12:13 PM

How much are you paying for Shipment to Panasonic?

Hi All,

How much is everybody paying to ship the GH4 to the McAllen Factory Service Center. I went to the UPS store and they wanted $67.00 for shipping and insurance.

Thanks in advance,
Salvatore

Stephen Brenner October 2nd, 2014 01:22 PM

Re: How much are you paying for Shipment to Panasonic?

You can figure your shipping costs via their website. Check out usps as well.

Vince Pachiano October 2nd, 2014 08:50 PM

What type of service were you quoted? Overnight, 2-day, 3-day, ground? That seems awfully expensive. Did that include them packaging it? Remember, UPS rates are partly based upon distance,
Also, how much is this used camera worth, in its present condition? I'm a little bit of a risk-taker, but if I had a properly packaged item, and a computer-generated shipping label, and I am already at the UPS store, I might be tempted to ship without insurance.

And since you are shipping half-way across the USA. This might be a case where I pay a little more for the shipping speed (2-day), and skimp on the insurance. If you only pay for Ground, your precious camera is gonna go in the belly of a UPS truck over the Interstate system. It's gonna get re-sorted several times along the way. Each connection involves unloading it from a truck, traveling over fast-moving conveyor belts, and into another truck.

Salvatore Privitera October 3rd, 2014 08:37 AM

Hi Vince,

I got a quote of $11.00 before I asked to have it insured. I asked to have it insured for the full amount of what paid for it. I just got the GH4 in July and didn't check the audio buzz until a few weeks ago. I think I'm going to send via the Postal Service.

Thanks,
Salvatore

Jeff Harper October 3rd, 2014 05:40 PM

Priority flat rate boxes are often a good deal.

Don DesJardin October 4th, 2014 08:07 PM

Fedex has priority flat rate boxes that your camera would fit in with additional insurance for probably under $15.

Bruce Foreman October 12th, 2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano (Post 1863475)
Also, how much is this used camera worth, in its present condition? I'm a little bit of a risk-taker, but if I had a properly packaged item, and a computer-generated shipping label, and I am already at the UPS store, I might be tempted to ship without insurance.

Used it may be, but the question in my mind was how much would it cost me to replace it if lost or damaged. I paid the full retail of $1,697.99 for mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano (Post 1863475)
And since you are shipping half-way across the USA. This might be a case where I pay a little more for the shipping speed (2-day), and skimp on the insurance. .

Well, I'm only half a state away from McAllen, as I remember I think I paid about $47.00 to ship mine UPS Ground and insured for the full value. It came back in fine shape and fixed. I forgot to remove the media card from it and that was still in place.

It is recommended to ship your camera by a fully "trackable" carrier.