Looks like I'm getting GH4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Micro Four Thirds system camera with interchangeable lenses.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 351
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Somehow I knew you would comment.....
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Well, someone has to tell the truth...:)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 351
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Somehow I knew you would comment.........
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
My intuition and heart tells me to go with the C100
To me it looks the only reason why you doubt between the gh4 and the c100 is price difference, based on what you expect from a camera I"m sure you will be disappointed if you get the gh4 and if your gut feeling tells you to get the c100 then you should, even if it burns a hole in your wallet.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
Posts: 396
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Well, someone has to tell the truth...:)
Truth can be a relative thing, and in most cases it is. Yes, I would listen to someone like Shane more than Dave Dugdale, or Caleb Pike, for crying out loud! Both of these guys along with the rest of the gang, seem to have some deep emotional scars they feel Canon has inflicted upon them, so of course like any dysfunctional relationship..... rejection is the only answer..... ha ha! That said, I do enjoy some of their reviews and they provide a great service to people like me,and others! However, I do recognise emotional frustration when I see it, and I separate the wheat from the shaft so to speak.

Somewhere in between the Canon bashing, and the relentless GH4 fanatics, I lost track of my own perceptions and feelings and started to question my basic visual sanity and looked seriously at the GH4 for the first time. My gut instinct from the first time I saw the GH4 footage was "digital video" image, and never really considered it for my next camera until I gave in to the peer pressure last week and tried to look at it with an open mind and seriously considered getting it..... and just be done with it.

Noa, I don't just listen to one guy like Shane, I've looked at every video review out there for MONTHS! I am truly agonizing over this decision. However, reading Shane's review simply resonated with my gut instincts and brought me back to the reason I never really liked the GH4 image all that much, and it's a hugely important issue for me! If I wanted a video image I'd by a Camcorder, but I want low light and SDOF. I don't want another digital image!
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
Posts: 396
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
To me it looks the only reason why you doubt between the gh4 and the c100 is price difference, based on what you expect from a camera I"m sure you will be disappointed if you get the gh4 and if your gut feeling tells you to get the c100 then you should, even if it burns a hole in your wallet.
Well yes, price is the all important issue. I have the money to buy the GH4 today! I have to wait a few more weeks to get the C100. After months of looking it is very tempting to just get the GH4..... NOW! You know, "buy it now" with one click button, for us impulse buyers.

The GH4 certainly has some incredible bells and whistles, no doubt about that, and that makes the process even more agonizing.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
Posts: 396
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Does it really matter what shane thinks about it? I often find it funny how easy people get influenced by what other people have to say and the more "important" they are, the more it must be true what they say. Cinematic is a overused word, just the word alone seems to make people think their work will be better. If you make crap films now on a iphone 5, you will make crap films on a red camera as well, but that Red does produce a cinematic image so it must be better, right? :)
I would substitute the phrase " the more important they are ''to the more skillful and knowledgeable they are". However, I don't think you need to be a professional to see the difference in the images. Will 99% of the public notice? I don't think so unless its blatantly bad video.

That said, I've learned a lot by people with a better eye than mine, and their ability to expound on the various differences.

And yes Noa, the RED is better than the iPhone 6.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 351
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

I really, truly, don't need any more lectures on "its not the gear, its the ability of the user" lectures. I really, really don't.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 351
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Good luck to you, Michael. I am wrestling with purchasing a C100 myself right now, so I can relate.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #25
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
After months of looking it is very tempting to just get the GH4..... NOW! You know, "buy it now" with one click button, for us impulse buyers.
If you need a second camera right now then you have to get what your budget allows, if not, then you have to save money until you can get what you want. Right now you are asking for advice on a camera that you can't afford so it's rather pointless to convince you to get a camera instead that you didn't like from the first time. :)I think you already answered your own question, just wait until you can buy the c100.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 351
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

I was actually going to submit a post about the relative merits of purchasing a C100 now, given my particular situation, in hopes of getting some good advice from folks that ACTUALLY OWN A C100.

However, I not going to subject myself to gratuitous comments and condescending lectures from folks WHO DON'T.

A shame. I will figure it out on my own.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

I think that Dave gave some very good advice: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...ml#post1864151
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #28
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,068
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
I was actually going to submit a post about the relative merits of purchasing a C100 now, given my particular situation, in hopes of getting some good advice from folks that ACTUALLY OWN A C100.

However, I not going to subject myself to gratuitous comments and condescending lectures from folks WHO DON'T.

A shame. I will figure it out on my own.
This thread was about getting a GH4 and guess what, I do own one, so I don't understand your point.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
Posts: 396
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you need a second camera right now then you have to get what your budget allows, if not, then you have to save money until you can get what you want. Right now you are asking for advice on a camera that you can't afford so it's rather pointless to convince you to get a camera instead that you didn't like from the first time. :)I think you already answered your own question, just wait until you can buy the c100.
Well I never said I NEED it now, and from the context of my posts I think that's obvious. I'm just pointing out the impulse to get something right away is seductive.... especially at half the price!

Your statement...... it's pointless to research the differences in cameras simply because I must wait a couple a weeks to buy it is ridiculous! Noa, with all due respect, you seem to personify the GH4 phenomena and get rather defensive and condescending to those of us on the fence and doing our research if we don't jump on the GH4 bandwagon. Perhaps this is what Richard is alluding to.

Like I said, there many very seductive features on the GH4, based on those alone I probably would click the "buy it now" button today. However, the "digital look" is something I'm struggling with, and is the number one reason I don't buy it today.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM USA
Posts: 396
Re: Looks like I'm getting GH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
Good luck to you, Michael. I am wrestling with purchasing a C100 myself right now, so I can relate.
Good luck to you as well Richard!

I've noticed the research and looking at different cameras is the best part. I used to sleep with my 5D3 a few months after I got it....... now it just stays in my camera bag. Whichever camera I get I want it to be a mad insane crazy love affair!

Don't let Noa get the best of you, your posts here have been tremendously helpful, as well as Dave's. I hope you keep us posted of more insights as you decide who to marry.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX G / GF / GH / GX Series

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network