DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH5 could have 4K 60fps and 8k recording. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/525458-gh5-could-have-4k-60fps-8k-recording.html)

Patrick Janka October 20th, 2014 02:05 PM

GH5 could have 4K 60fps and 8k recording.

I'm just going to leave this here.

GH5 could have 4K 60fps and 8K recording? | 43 Rumors

Dave Partington October 20th, 2014 02:47 PM

Re: GH5 could have 4K 60fps and 8k recording.

It's complete BS based on the idea that Panasonic are working on these things - though not necessarily for the GH5. In fact GH5 was never mentioned in the Panasonic interview that they are basing this on.

M43Rumors have a habit of putting this stuff up as click bait without any truth behind the claim.

Do we really think that Panasonic are going to go from a 16MP sensor in the GH4 to a 32MP+ sensor in the GH5 (required for 8K) in a single step and still maintain any sort of dynamic range etc? I think not, though I'd love to be wrong.

I can see higher frame rates coming, but 8K? I really don't think so.

Noa Put October 20th, 2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Janka (Post 1865498)

I know for fact these type of links are not appreciated here as they don't want to be associated with not support rumor sites that provide false information.

Patrick Janka October 20th, 2014 03:05 PM

I didn't take it seriously, just thought it was funny.

Bo Skelmose October 20th, 2014 03:45 PM

What else should they be working on? 50/60P would be the next natural step followed by 8K. Not in the next model but maybe later.

Jack Zhang October 20th, 2014 03:55 PM

I'd expect 4k60p in something like HEVC H.265 (Samsung beat everyone to the punch to H.265 4K recording)

What they need to fix for video though is skew. All examples of the GH4 in 4K are low motion scenarios. Try to do sports in 4K on a GH4 is equivalent to an early cell phone in terms of skew.

Patrick Janka October 21st, 2014 11:40 AM

Maybe there's something to this...

Sony Testing 8K Camera « NEW CAMERA

James Manford October 21st, 2014 11:55 AM

*yawn* ...

So bored off 4K and 8K news.

Wake me up when clients actually own a 4K TV ... when Sky & Virgin Media broadcast all it's channels in 4K, when Bluray ceases to exist and theres something called RED RAY in 8K or whatever.

Then i'll consider it.

Noa Put October 21st, 2014 11:59 AM

I have heard the next model can fly, just a rumor but you never know. :)

Bo Skelmose October 21st, 2014 12:43 PM

What do you dislike working with 4k James?
I love it. Now I can stabilize and zoom in post without the footage looks awfull. Even the 8bit 4K from GH4 looks great when converted to HD. I have always seen it as a great thing working with better quality than the broadcasters can transmit. I was often told in the 4:3 SD days that it was stupid to record in 16:9 and HD but now I can still use the footage I recorded years back. A great thing as many of my projects are some that I only do once in my lifetime. Right now I am filming a certain beetle through its hole life. Next year I am doing somthing else. I love to be ahead of the televisions at home :) --- in fact I need to be!

James Manford October 21st, 2014 03:27 PM

First and foremost, I can only speak of the Panasonic FZ1000.

I disliked the menu settings / ergonomics straight away (i'm not a panasonic guy)

The 4K footage itself was nothing special in comparison to my FS700 / PJ780VE's 1080p footage ...

You still need good lighting on your subject before you even consider cropping in to the image in post.

I need to invest in a new computer and more storage too if I want to start throwing 4K streams in to my NLE.

Basically I can't justify the total cost, plus the hassle of selling my FS700 / PJ780VE camcorders etc. My fingers were itching to give 4K a go ... so I went down the 'economy / value' route and tried out a FZ1000 but disliked it, so it's been returned.

As I said, when people at home start familiarizing themselves with 4K around and my clients are familiar with it ... only then will I consider investing in to it. Otherwise i'm pleased with 1080p

Noa Put October 21st, 2014 04:21 PM

You don't necessarily need more storagespace, the ax100 for instance has the same bitrate in 4K as my rx10 has in 1080p. Eventhough I do notice some minor lag while editing, my current 2 year old pc can handle 4K just fine, as long as I"m not doing 3 layers of 4k multicam, in my case there is no extra cost involved.

For multicam ceremonies at a wedding 4K has been a blessing for me as a solo shooter, the reframing option give me so much more control over my unmanned 4K camera, if I move into the frame during the ceremony, no problem, just crop a bit and reframe in post, want to bring in some variation between my camera's? also no problem, maybe I"ll go wide, or zoom in more tight, move a bit to the left, take that annoying photog out of the frame, maybe correct a crooked horizon, I l.o.v.e. editing a 4K image in a 1080p project.

Then you have the photoshoot, I prefer shooting that with my rx10 and shoot raw photos at the same time but the flexibility of shooting in 4K and just take frames out of your shots that have high detail once you print it on the dvd box is also a big advantage if you just want to focus on shooting video and worry about the photos later on.

But for other parts of the day, no, I don't need 4K, in fact my gh3 1080p matches my gh4 in 4K just fine in a 1080p project. 4K is not a requirement but depending on what you shoot the advantages can be something that can make your life a lot easier.