G6 or GH3 for low light (with no recording limit) - where to buy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

G6 or GH3 for low light (with no recording limit) - where to buy

So I've been thinking about getting a DSLR to record in low light (a dance at a wedding for example) and I've seen the GH3 or G6 seems to be a good idea to get, but only if they can be bought without the 30 minute record limit.

So, G6 or GH3?

And where can I order one from so that it comes without the record limit?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: G6 or GH3 for low light (with no recording limit) - where to buy

I could be wrong Paul, but I believe that DSLR cameras for purchase in Europe are restricted in recording time to avoid VAT. I believe that with no recording limit it would be classed as a video camera and subject to tax.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, you need to order outside the EU to avoid that recording limit, not sure though which countries you need ot buy from.

About low light performance, the g6 only has 3200 iso max but is cleaner then the gh3 at that same level, the gh3 can go to iso 6400 but gets quite noisy but not up to a point I would consider the footage useless, 6400 iso on the gh3 looks better then 3200iso on my first dslr I had, canon 550d.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Which way would you go Noah? G6 or gh3?

Anyone recommend a supplier for a non restricted model of either? Or do I need to haunt eBay and search for far east sellers?
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I"d buy the gh3, the g6 does have some advantages like peaking and you can use etc mode in 50p as well and is a great camera for the price,I only didn't like it's button layout and ergonomics compared to the gh3 and for whatever reason it's softer in 1080p 50P compared to the gh3. I checked using a resolution chart and the difference was obvious to the eye, not only on the chart but also in footage I shot using both camera's. Only in 25p it's equally detailed. Then you also have better codecs on the gh3.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I could be wrong Paul, but I believe that DSLR cameras for purchase in Europe are restricted in recording time to avoid VAT. I believe that with no recording limit it would be classed as a video camera and subject to tax.

Roger
That's a 14% import duty, not VAT, though of course VAT is then charged on top! As I recall it was to protect the french VHS industry back in the early 80s.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes it was to protect the video industri in europe. First of all Thomson - do not know if they exist anymore and make recorders
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I wish there was a simple firmware hack to disable the recording limit, it would make a big difference when recording ceremonies.
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Andreou View Post
For anyone interested we can supply GH4 without the 30 minute recording limit.
Andy
Hi, sorry if its been asked before but I cant figure it out, can the Panasonic GH4 record longer than 29 mins, continuous, providing of course there is a big enough card in the camera?
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

It appears to depend from which part of the world you buy it, mine has a recording limit.
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Paul, I'd suggest you invest more in the lens you'll be using in low light situations rather than the camera. Filming even on a GH4 with an f/2.8 lens can produce (very slightly) worse looking footage than a GH3 with an f/2 lens.

[Off topic] - Noa, sent you 2 mails again, check your inbox :D
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:04 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It appears to depend from which part of the world you buy it, mine has a recording limit.
It look like that to me too Noa, then I read somewhere it would record in 29min chunks, one after the other until the card is full.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
Filming even on a GH4 with an f/2.8 lens can produce (very slightly) worse looking footage than a GH3 with an f/2 lens.
Huh, where did you get that? My gh4 gives me better (less noisy) low light footage then my gh3.

checking my mailbox now...
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Major Player

You mean to tell me that the footage obtained using your 12-35 on your GH4 looks better than the footage obtained with your 12mm f/2 on the GH3?

I did this test before, but I just repeated it to be sure. Currently, in my room, at f/2.8 I need to be at ISO 3200 to get a proper exposure. When I took it down to f/2 (same lens), I could drop down the ISO all the way to 1600 to get the exact exposure back. Now... I know the GH4 is better in low light, but come on, it's not THAT much better :D unless maybe you shoot in 4k and downscale.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I misunderstood you, the 12mm f2.0 gives better results ofcourse when it gets dark but there is a definite difference when I shoot in 4K and downrez to 1080p where my gh3 clealry shows more noise at exact the same settings, 6400 iso looks cleaner on the gh4 (4k->1080p downscaled) compared to the gh3 with the same lens and settings.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series