GH4 Optimal Film Setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 5th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

GH4 Optimal Film Setting

There has been some buzz about Michael Medgyesi's experimental GH4 settings that may be worth looking into. Here is the sample video he shot with those settings:

Here is my use of it, this time attached to a Shogun in ProRes HQ 4:2:2 at 30fps.

Downloadable ProRes 422 UHD file available if you want to test out grading.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH4 Optimal Film Setting

Maybe asking the wrong person but in Medgyesi's article he mentions a Highlight/Shadow setting of -5/0 but also 0/0.

Is the "zero" setting the norm with the "minus 5" depending on the particular lighting circumstance at the time of shooting?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

i dunno about taking this seriously...

He goes on bashing flat profiling, but sounds to me like he either went to far with flattening his gh4 and got crap, and/or he just doesn't know a single thing about basic grading. does he know that premade LUTs exist?

And his skintones all appear overexposed, which he mentions is intentional in the article, but i can't recall the last professional that had the opinion of going 80ire+ on skintones unless for a specific style
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
And his skintones all appear overexposed, which he mentions is intentional in the article, but i can't recall the last professional that had the opinion of going 80ire+ on skintones unless for a specific style
Yes, I exposed this footage at 60 IRE for skin using the waveform monitor, but I know that Michael prefers using zebras set at 80. I think this stems from an ETTR way of thinking that is all about reducing noise, but possibly at the expense of picture quality. More testing is worthwhile, and it's always interesting to jump out of Cinelike D for a change and try something different.

Of course, if/when Panasonic adds Vlog to the GH4, it's game over for all the other picture styles when it comes to shooting video.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Is the "zero" setting the norm with the "minus 5" depending on the particular lighting circumstance at the time of shooting?
I'm not sure, haven't looking into what his findings were with the 0/0 setting. My video was shot at -5 Highlight, which would make sense giving the shooting scenario of being outside on a sunny (-ish) day.

I wish Highlight/Shadow was connected to the picture profile so I could do a shootout quicker with just changing one setting instead of two. I think the next step is to shoot again with the this and then the typical Cinelike D settings to see a difference.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series