Electronic Shutter setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Electronic Shutter setting

Can someone explain the difference between the Electronic shutter On & Off, other than one makes a louder clunk than the other?

I Get the Silent Mode setting and use that a lot for concert work (classical music) but never understood what the Electronic shutter mode does other than make a clunk (similar to a mirror going up on a SLR) or a quieter click.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Electronic Shutter setting

Nobody has the answer to this it seems
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As far as I can tell, the electronic shutter off allows you to have shutter sound and various beeps when some operations are carried out. Turning it on just seems to switch them all off. Perhaps some users like the reassurance of audio confirmation that something has happened, although I just find it annoying :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Here is a bit from my FZ1000 manuals

You can use either of the two shutters to take pictures: the mechanical shutter or the
electronic shutter.
¢1 The mechanical shutter sound cannot be muted.
¢2 Electronic shutter sound settings can be changed in [Shutter Vol.]. (P49)
Select the menu.
Mechanical shutter Electronic Shutter
Description
The camera starts an exposure
electronically, and ends it with the
mechanical shutter.
The camera starts and ends an
exposure electronically.
Flash ± —
Shutter Speed
(Sec.)
60 to 1/4000th 1 to 1/16000th

All exposures are started electronically and end mechanically by default as the electronic shutter does block some camera functions. If you go into "silent mode" then the electronic shutter is selected as the mechanical shutter is in fact mechanical so it cannot be silenced. Apart from silent operation the electronic shutter allows you a higher shutter speed (1/4000 vs 1/6000) but does inhibit some functions
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 03:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You are right Chris, I found last night that with the electronic shutter on, I couldn't use my external flash.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I just looked in the manual so I never tried it to be honest so thanks for that Roger!

I find that strange as if you are in a "quiet" place it will be indoors so flash might be necessary. I doubt whether I will need the silent shutter ..definitely not for video and 1/4000th seems plenty for stills ..My Nikons only go up to that too.

The manual never specifies what functions are disabled so it might be scary to do a stills shoot in silent and find out that what you were expecting to work doesn't!!!

Maybe it was designed for bird watchers so the shutter noise doesn't scare away our feathered friends???

Have you ever used it??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I was going to use the electronic shutter last weekend, but when I found I couldn't use the flash, I just turned off all the sounds on the mechanical shutter setting.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series