Lens for Panasonic GH4. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:52 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Lens for Panasonic GH4.

I'm a GH3 wedding shooter for 2 years now, and last month I bought a GH4 with the 12-35mm lens mentioned here. I did NOT want to buy that lens because I was afraid I was going to have low light issues with it at wedding receptions. However, the deal I got on it was too good to turn down.

Pros and cons? Well...

+ the stabilization on it is great, it's saving me from a lot of stabilization in post

+ versatility, as mentioned before - it's great in church, for example, because you can get a wide shot when something important is happening, then quickly zoom in all the way and get some good looking close-ups when something boring is going on that you know you won't include in their video

+ the GH3/4 actually looks and feels like a "serious" camera with this lens, as opposed to what it looks like with the Panasonic 14mm pancake lens on (a toy)

+ I have and tested both these lenses and apparently I am getting the same amount of light with both, even though the 12-35 is f/2.8 and the pancake is f/2.5, no difference whatsoever in the exposure meter

- a bit too much depth of field (full frame equivalent of f/5.6, remember!), so not that great for the first part of the day where you need a lens with a shallower depth of field to get those good looking shots of the rings and so on (I use the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 lens here)

- it makes you a bit lazy :) makes me not want to change lenses that often and instead of getting a better looking shot with my f/1.4 lens, sometimes I feel like saying "screw it" and just zoom in all the way to 35mm to get the shallowest depth of field that way and get the shot

Hope this helps somewhat.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:59 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
I did NOT want to buy that lens because I was afraid I was going to have low light issues with it at wedding receptions-.
Thanks Luc, yes, that does help, especially when I wouldn't know one lens from another :)

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:54 AM   #18
Major Player

I'm not sure whether I made that clear Anthony, but the lens turned out to be a decent performer in low light, better than expected. And with the GH4 you can just go ahead and shoot 4k if you need to go past ISO 3200 and downscale to 1080p later, it will look better.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:02 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
I'm not sure whether I made that clear Anthony, but the lens turned out to be a decent performer in low light, better than expected. And with the GH4 you can just go ahead and shoot 4k if you need to go past ISO 3200 and downscale to 1080p later, it will look better.
Yes Luc, you made it very clear, you explained it well.

Sorry for asking, but I just don't know :) and just to confirm,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-LU...ords=H-HS12035

Will I have auto focus with this lens?
Is there a built in stabilizer?

Thanks everyone for your patience :)

UPDATE:
Just read this review on Amazon, don't know how true it is!

...!The image stabilisation does not turn off when switched for tripod work.
This may not show at the wide end...but zoomed optically &/or digitally it jitters & shakes!..."

Just saw an update to the above statement..."Just got to make an update for this lens... a previous reviewer didn't like it because you cannot turn the Image Stabilisation off when using a tripod ?
Just need to let you people know.. there is a great big switch on the Lens Barrel for doing just that... no need to go into the menus or muck around, just slide the switch to off position when using tripod.. simple"..

So that's answered my question then, thanks.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; June 3rd, 2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add to my question
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Yes it has autofocus (but you won't be using continuous autofocus anyway), and so far I've never had a problem with the stabilization not turning off. The lens is solid. Expensive, but solid.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:50 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Luc, now, all I need is the £££ :)
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM   #22
Major Player

You can get a good deal on a new one on eBay: Panasonic Lumix G x Vario 12 35mm F 2 8 ASPH Lens for Micro 4 3 Black New 5025232681365 | eBay

I'm probably going to get that as I need a second one for my backup camera.

That tripod comment was nonsense. Just remember to click off image stabilization when on a tripod, steadicam, jib, or slider. I don't always remember to do that, but the footage generally comes out fine regardless.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 05:31 AM   #23
Trustee

Thanks Patrick, good to know.
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #24
Trustee

So, down to these two lens.

17.5mm 1.8 Olympus. Ian used this one in the link he provided in another post a few days ago.

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:1.8 Lens - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and this one a few of you recommended.

LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8

Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH.: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

I suppose you cant got wrong with these two :) ?
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #25
Major Player

You want to buy both? If so, don't. Go for the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 instead, exceptional lens at a cheap price. That 17.5mm will not be usable handheld, the Panasonic will. And the 45mm will get you a LOT of great looking shots that your 12-35mm will not be able to.
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
You want to buy both?.
Hi Luc, no, not to buy both at the same time, just to say from my reading into these forms those two look as if they would work well with the GH4 for weddings 90% of the time.... without changing lenses.

Perhaps I'm wrong :)

Thank you Luc.
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #27
Inner Circle

If you want to start of with only one lens then the 12-35 f2.8 is the best choice, if you want to add a second lens later it depends how you want to use it, plan to use it on a steadicam or gimbal then the 12 or 17,5 mm is a better choice, the 45mm is a great lens for talking heads at the reception, beautyshots during makeup or even during a ceremony on a locked off camera + you can handhold this lens because of it's build in stabilizer which is a big advantage.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you want to start of with only one lens then the 12-35 f2.8 is the best choice, if you want to add a second lens later it depends how you want to use it, plan to use it on a steadicam or gimbal then the 12 or 17,5 mm is a better choice,.
Hi Noa, its along those lines I was thinking of, camera & lens now, then add to what I have later.
That's sounds perfect then.

Thanks Noa and Luc.
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
you can handhold this lens because of it's build in stabilizer which is a big advantage.
Sadly this one does not have IS, but I remember you being excited about a very similar lens (maybe 42.5mm?) that does have IS. But it's more expensive, I paid $250 for my 45mm and I think I could have gotten it even cheaper, I just was in a hurry to get it at the time.
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Right, there are so many different lenses it's easy to mix up focal lengths :) I meant the new one from panasonic:

Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series