DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Lens for Panasonic GH4. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/528599-lens-panasonic-gh4.html)

Anthony McErlean June 1st, 2015 04:53 PM

Lens for Panasonic GH4.

I see Amazon UK have the GH4 (Body Only)

Panasonic DMC-GH4EB-K Compact System Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

but having never, bought a lens for a camera before, I wouldn't have a clue what lens to buy, so asking for advice.. again :)

What middle of the road lens would you recommend for the GH4, to use for recording weddings.
As you know, most wedding receptions can be quiet dark, so if this make a difference to choosing a lens.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Carney June 1st, 2015 07:56 PM

Re: Lens for Panasonic GH4.

If I were new to filming with the GH4 and had to pic a first lens for weddings on a budget, I'd get a 42.5mm f/1.7. Then I'd add an Olympus 12mm f/2.0 and a stabilizer for my second choice.

A 25mm f/1.4 is a great lens, but doesn't have enough reach to get up front from the back of the crowd. All the f/2.8 zoom options are not fast enough IMHO to work well with dimly lit wedding location generally.

Just my $0.02 for a place to start.

Cheers,
Pete

Gary Huff June 1st, 2015 08:35 PM

Plunk down for the 12-35mm Lumix.

Noa Put June 2nd, 2015 01:16 AM

If you shoot handheld and don't want to change lenses to often the 12-35mm f2.8 is the obvious choice because it's stabilized and has a usable focal length, 12mm is the minimum you need for shooting wide, especially when you shoot in 4K because that crops even further and 35mm is decent enough but not if you want to use it as static camera from the back of the church.
Only starting from reception f2.8 is not enough, you need at least f2.0.

If you don't shoot handheld the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a speedbooster might be a good choice, you will loose stabilization but this lens should cover shooting all day, even in candle lit only venues. I only don't have any experience with this combo so don't know about aperture controll and if the auto focus will work, maybe other owners can comment on that.

Pete's recommendation for the new 42,5 f1.7 and 12mm f2.0 is also a solid choice if you don't mind changing lenses, it will keep it within the price of one 12-35mm lens. Those 2 focal lengths should also allow you to shoot anything you need throughout the day and also cover very dark venues and because the 42,5mm is stabilized you could do some handheld shots as well. I have the 12mm and it's a very good lens considering it's mini size. The 42,5 is one I am planning to get as it's the only focal length I don't have yet between 25 and 75mm, it's stabilization, fast f-stop and low price are just icing on the cake :)

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 05:06 AM

Thank you Guys, as usual :)
I would like a lens that will auto focus and work well in low light :)
I doesn't have to have reach from the bottom to the top of the church.
It probably would be used as much on a tripod as hand held.
Cant see me changing lenses, so, if one lens would cover most, that would be ideal.

Gary, that lens looks good but a bit expensive for me just now :( £800 on amazon, unless I'm looking at the wrong one :(

Noa Put June 2nd, 2015 06:12 AM

That 12-35mm f2.8 is worth it's price but it's not fast enough for darker receptions, you can shoot handheld with a 12mm lens but you will have to deal with some microvibrations, 35mm is not suitable for handheld without stabilisation.

There is not much else choice if you want to have a stabilised fast zoom lens

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1888106)
That 12-35mm f2.8 is worth it's price but it's not fast enough for darker receptions

Thanks Noa, sorry, what do you mean by not fast enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1888106)
35mm is not suitable for handheld without stabilisation.

OK, I do intend to get myself a stabilizer a bit later.

Thanks.

Noa Put June 2nd, 2015 12:06 PM

I mean the f-stop, f2.8 won't be sufficient for very dark reception, f2.0 is what you need at least.

If you will be shooting from a stabiliser, like a gimbal or steadicam then I would suggest looking into that sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a speedbooster.

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1888126)
I mean the f-stop, f2.8 won't be sufficient for very dark reception, f2.0 is what you need at least.

If you will be shooting from a stabiliser, like a gimbal or steadicam then I would suggest looking into that sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a speedbooster.

Thank you Noa for your advice.

Patrick Janka June 2nd, 2015 01:41 PM

I shoot weddings, bar mitzvahs, quince's, etc. and my go-to lens for 85% of the shots is the 12-35mm f/2.8. To gain more light just boost up your ISO and/or make sure you have a good on-camera LED. I use the Neewer CN-160, available at Amazon for $30. It's super bright and comes with a clear daylight balanced filter and an amber tungsten balanced filter. I use the slim Sony F550 rechargeable batteries which last forever and are super light.

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Janka (Post 1888135)
I shoot weddings, bar mitzvahs, quince's, etc. and my go-to lens for 85% of the shots is the 12-35mm f/2.8.

Hi Patrick, thanks, just to know what lens your talking about can you please link to it, say on amazon.
I have one of those lights CN160 btw.

Thanks.

Patrick Janka June 2nd, 2015 04:01 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

I know you want middle of the road, but you really need this lens to pull off a wedding. It's so versatile. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy twice.

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Janka (Post 1888147)
[
You get what you pay for. Buy cheap buy twice.

:) Is this the same one Patrick?

Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH.: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Sorry if this is a silly question, Is a speedbooster needed for this lens btw and is it the same lens Gary also advised me to get?

Thanks Patrick

Patrick Janka June 2nd, 2015 04:26 PM

No, you don't use a speedbooster with native lenses. That's the same as my link and what Gary mentioned.

Anthony McErlean June 2nd, 2015 04:53 PM

Thanks Patrick.