To GH4 or spend more money? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #16
Contributor

Re: To GH4 or spend more money?

I'm fairly new to the GH4 but like it a lot. I have the Metabones Speedbooster .64X, the new one that gives a 1.5 crop factor. This provides the exact same depth of field characteristics as my Sony FS100 with its S35 sensor. Also, as a nice bonus, the Speed Booster adds a little over a full f-stop of light. I use my old manual mostly pre-AI Nikkor lenses and really like the look I get with them on the GH4. I have a 24, 35, 50, 85, 105, 200 and a 35-70 zoom. Apertures from f1.4 to f2.8 (except the 200 is f4).

I am liking the 4K also, especially for shooting interviews. Generally I use the 50mm f1.4 and stay static. If I want to zoom in for emphasis, I can do that when I edit the 4K in a 1080p timeline. Since the focal length of the lens never changes, the software zoom looks a lot more like a dolly shot than a TV zoom.

It's also true that 4K edited in a 1080p timeline looks better than 1080p in the same timeline.

Also, I use a Beachtek Ultra to give me XLR inputs and real knobs for audio control. It attaches to the bottom of the camera and comes with a set of rails that are removable if not needed. I take the camera's gain down to -12db and adjust to the proper level with the Beachtek, and the sound quality is excellent.

For run-n-gun situations I got the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 zoom and also the 14-140. The stabilizer on both lenses works nicely and a hand held shot at fairly wide angle feels a little more stabile than a similar focal length shot with my Canon 24-105 L zoom on my A7R.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series