DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   To GH4 or spend more money? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/529445-gh4-spend-more-money.html)

Peter Brinkman August 18th, 2015 11:40 AM

To GH4 or spend more money?

Ok,

Similar questions have been asked for hundred of times, but I'm getting a bit confused during my internet searches.
First thing I'm looking for a second camera besides my EX3 which I normally use for event reports.
The second camera will be used for more corporate stuff, nice dof, more film look and use with affordable gliders and rigs. So I read a lot of pro's and cons on the GH4. The price is off course a big advantage. But will I be disappointed?
For example, with the EX3 I have to get some distance to create a nice interview shot with dof. Will the GH4 do a better job with the right lense?
And what about the low light thing. Is this worse than on the EX3?
Or should I trade in my EX3 and spend more money on for example the Sony FS7?

Mark Williams August 18th, 2015 01:42 PM

Re: To GH4 or spend more money?

I am very happy with my GH4. The image quality is extraordinary. I have previously used the HPX170 and EX-1. You can view some of my GH4 footage on my vimeo channel.

Peter Brinkman August 18th, 2015 02:30 PM

Thanks Mark, nice footage. So in low light no difference compared to the EX1?

Mark Williams August 18th, 2015 03:15 PM

I can shoot the GH4 up to ISO 1250 with no problems.

Noa Put August 18th, 2015 03:30 PM

Mark, I think Peter wants to know if your ex1 is better in low light compared to your gh4 when you use a fast lens, like a f1.4 on it.

Noa Put August 18th, 2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brinkman (Post 1895484)
For example, with the EX3 I have to get some distance to create a nice interview shot with dof. Will the GH4 do a better job with the right lense?

Yes it will, the sensor from the gh4 is much larger and you can use lenses up to f0.95 for very shallow dof.

Bryce Comer August 18th, 2015 05:35 PM

I'll try to add something to the conversation if i can. I sold my EX3 & moved to the GH4. The low light performance will depend on what lens you have on the GH4. I no longer have the EX3 so can't do a direct comparison, but i do remember feeling like it was about the same using a slower lens like the 14-140mm f4-5.6. Of course, if you are using a fast lens like the 12-35 or 35-100 f2.8 or something even faster, then i would say the low light would probably be better than the EX3. This is all a bit of a guestimate of course as i can't so a side by side test. I nearly always had a bit of noise in my EX3 footage, something i only get if i am pushing the ISO above 1000 on the GH4. One thing i can say though, is that i probably get about 20% more usable footage from the GH4. The screen & focus aids are just that much better than on the EX3.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bryce

Noa Put August 19th, 2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

i do remember feeling like it was about the same using a slower lens like the 14-140mm f4-5.6
I'm pretty sure the gh4 coupled with a f1.4 lens is better in low light compared to a ex3. One thing for Peter to consider; the gh4 is not an easy camera to work with, like most dslr's, as long as you work in a controlled environment and have time to set up your shots then all is great but in other circumstances you certainly will miss the video functionality and ease of use of your ex3.

Ronald Jackson August 19th, 2015 01:23 AM

Any news on a Panasonic Af-100 4K/UHD replacement? Would do most if not more than a EX3 and in MFT.

Would need a decent power zoom as "standard".

I'd probably not be able to afford it being a pensioner hobbyist.

Ron

Noa Put August 19th, 2015 04:22 AM

the successor of the af100 may come, or it may not, who knows, you are better of looking what is available now and choose from that, compared to 10 years ago when I started shooting video we are now spoiled with choices, so many camera's to choose from and still people want even more camera's :)

Peter Brinkman August 19th, 2015 06:50 AM

Decided to go for it and ordered a second hand one with metabooster, wooden rig and other supplies. Can't wait to play with it ;)

Bo Skelmose August 19th, 2015 07:51 AM

You will not get disappointed if you buy a GH4. I have both the EX3 and the GH4. The GH4 is fantastic. Now I really can see the noise in the EX3 footage - there is none on the GH4. I use it for a lot of things also on a Ronon-m and on a slider. It has a perfect size too. You have a nice control of the DOF with that size of sensor. If the AF100 will get a replacement the GH4 will still be the best for a slider or a gimbal.

David Peterson August 19th, 2015 09:52 AM

Get a Sony PMW-F3, it will:
A) be a HUGE leap forward over your EX1
B) Yet you'll find it still to be a very similar camera to operate in many ways compared to an EX1, so you'll have a shorter learning curve
C) it can be found secondhand for only slightly more than a GH4

I've been shooting with GH1 cameras, and have heaps of micro four thirds gear, yet I went and got a PMW-F3 recently myself :-D

Noa Put August 19th, 2015 01:28 PM

Is the f3 not pl mount? Not sure what kind of lenses you need to get for that but it sounds expensive :)

David Peterson August 19th, 2015 07:11 PM

No, it is Sony FZ mount. Rock solid for then using any other kind of mount that you like on it.
PL is just what it ships with, as it was originally a nearly $20k camera thus aimed at the high end.

But I use mine with a Nikon F/G Mount, feels great, like a native mount!! (Except no AF)