4K PHOTO setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 9th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Trustee

4K PHOTO setting

I have been looking through the GH4 manual for some time and can't find the answer to this. What is the 4K PHOTO setting all about? I set the movie Rec Format & Rec Quality via the other menus, but can't work out what the 4K PHOTO item is all about, and there is nothing about it in the manual - at least not that I have found.
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4K PHOTO setting

I also find that confusing, but reading between the lines and seeing a couple of YouTube tutorials, suggests that the 4k photo setting relates to lifting stills from 4k footage in camera. You seem to be able to select different aspect ratios, 16:9, 4:3 etc. although I haven't tried it yet.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

OK just played around with my FZ1000 which has the same 4K photo options in the menu. It seems that turning on the 4k option and taking video, will record the video according to the aspect ratio you set in the 4K photo menu. Presumably this is to enable you to take continuous 4K video of a scene at say 3:2 or 1:1 ratio, then lift stills from any frame of video in camera at that same aspect ratio. I suppose if you were taking action shots and wanted to be able to pick any frame, it could be useful, rather than cropping from 16:9

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you Roger, I was beginning to work that out too. I am surprised there isn't more detail about this in the manual,but maybe I just haven't found it yet.
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

With the FZ1000, the 4K option was a firmware upgrade last October so it wasn't in the original manual.

The Lumix site has the specs as follows :

[4K PHOTO] mode is added which records 4K video exclusively for capturing a frame to save as a photo.
•Settings can be adjusted as below when entering this mode.

- Rec Format : MP4

- Rec Quality : 4K/30p/100Mbps [NTSC], 4K/25p/100Mbps [PAL]

- Luminance Level:0-255

•In addition to 16:9 aspect, 4:3/3:2/1:1 can be selected.
•Exif information is embedded to the captured image from the 4K video.
•Marking function is available enables marker setting on the designated point while recording video and users can jump to the markers when playing back the video to capture the frame they want.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #6
Major Player

The video will be recorded at the chosen aspect ratio set for 4K capture.
You can grab stills from 4K video without setting 4K capture. In this case the stills will be 16.9
Old July 4th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Major Player

To me it just seems like something a home user might use for a birthday. I messed with it, and If an experienced user wants a frame to print its easy to just use the normal video mode and export a frame in a video editor if you want.

At 1st The unlimited burst at 30fps sounded cool, but the shutter is just a sound effect, as you can turn it off.
its just recording video and you can scrub to find a frame to export.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series