GH4, Canon EF lenses, Metabones "Smart" Adaptor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Major Player

GH4, Canon EF lenses, Metabones "Smart" Adaptor.

Has anyone out there experience of this combination? I am interested in the "Smart" but wonder about the degree of automation it provides with EF lenses.

No autofocus, fair enough as I don't usually need this. Image stabilisation, but I invariably shoot off a tripod.

Auto exposure yes, with some caveats. I would very much like to be able on occasion to shoot in shutter priority mode but this might not be on.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH4, Canon EF lenses, Metabones "Smart" Adaptor.

I use this adapter extensively, but until you asked this question I always used it with the camera set to Manual Exposure in Creative Movie Mode so today I tried shooting in shutter priority mode. I do most of my wildlife filming with the Canon 100-400mm and that is the only lens I have tried so far in the shutter priority mode. I have not looked at any video taken that way--just observed how things looked on my 5" Ikan monitor. Considering this it looks like it does work, but the picture flickers when the aperture changes and you can hear a clicking sound when the aperture changes so it is not ideal. It has been awhile since I used the Canon 70D, but I know all of the EF lenses made the clicking sound when the aperture changed and I think they flickered also so this may be the way any lens that is not specifically made for video works when the aperture changes and not a shortcoming in the adapter. Also my camera does not display what aperture the camera is selecting. It just shows the shutter speed and the exposure compensation scale.
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard Hill View Post
Considering this it looks like it does work, but the picture flickers when the aperture changes and you can hear a clicking sound when the aperture changes so it is not ideal.
Sounds like you need to update the firmware on your adapter. There were updates specifically to address that issue. The latest firmware does enable autofocus, primarily for stills, as well. Not sure how well it works on the GH4.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for that. I didn't even know until now that there were firmware updates for the adapter.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I updated the firmware for both my Speed Booster and Smart adapter and have auto-focus, but it is very unreliable. It hunts a lot and seldom locks on good accurate focus. It works best in bright light with high contrast subjects. So far I have tried only the 100-400mm and a 50-250 STM lenses since the upgrade. In shutter priority mode the 100-400mm still makes a clicking noise when the aperture changes and the flicker is still there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series