Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 17th, 2015, 04:06 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!

There is already a 2.4 firmware update: "Improved V-Log L setting issue of firmware Ver.2.3"

Scared to update to 2.4 as they might have also fixed this loophole. Anyone else installed it?
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
There is already a 2.4 firmware update: "Improved V-Log L setting issue of firmware Ver.2.3"
Panasonic could have taken the high road, but they didn't, and instead decided to lied by implication that the zebras and histograms are messed up by using the Image App loophole (they aren't) and now by calling this "Improved" Vog L setting. This update is solely to close that Image App loophole. And who knows if they fouled something else up in doing that? I wouldn't update.

And, gee, thanks Panasonic for being insulting.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #18
Major Player

shame. shame. shame. (game of thrones fans will know).

so does anyone still have the v2.3 bin file and are willing to share it? pretty please?

edit: found it, here you go - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cswiu3a7bp...__V23.bin?dl=0

EDIT2: i did the update and it works! my question is, what LUT do we need to apply to this footage?

Last edited by Luc Spencer; September 17th, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Re the new firmware :)
Attached Thumbnails
Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!-adm-ackbar.jpg  
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post

EDIT2: i did the update and it works! my question is, what LUT do we need to apply to this footage?
Gh4 VlogL was intended to be a close match to the varicam 35 vlog so Panasonic's LUT for the Varicam can be used for the gh4.
The Varicam Vlog log to rec709 LUT is a good starting point, though it leans to the red a bit so a slight mid tones correction on a 3 way corrector should correct it to your taste.

On resolve, using the ARRI LUT also gave a pleasing starting point, it leads to the slight green/warm side, again a slight correction would fix.

Here is a link to download the Varicam log to rec709 LUT.
DOWNLOADS | VARICAM 35 | VARICAM | Panasonic

Old September 17th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I am surprised at the number of people who would revel in the act of stealing software and then call the owner dirty names for closing loop hole. Panasonic has the right to sell this update and you have the right not to buy it. Panasonic could have just waited to add this to the GH5 and charged $2000.00 for the "update". Grow up.
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grygier View Post
I am surprised at the number of people who would revel in the act of stealing software
Except it's not stealing, it's using it as it was released.

Quote:
and then call the owner dirty names for closing loop hole.
Someone called Panasonic a dirty name? What post was that?

Quote:
Panasonic has the right to sell this update
They do.

Quote:
and you have the right not to buy it.
We do.

Quote:
Panasonic could have just waited to add this to the GH5 and charged $2000.00 for the "update".
And they will.

Quote:
Grow up.
Not applicable, and thanks for being insulting too.
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
Gh4 VlogL was intended to be a close match to the varicam 35 vlog so Panasonic's LUT for the Varicam can be used for the gh4.
Thanks Ted, I got it. If only it weren't dark outside already, to see that improved dynamic range in action...
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
I am surprised at the number of people who would revel in the act of stealing software and then call the owner dirty names for closing loop hole. Panasonic has the right to sell this update and you have the right not to buy it. Panasonic could have just waited to add this to the GH5 and charged $2000.00 for the "update". Grow up.
Frank, with the risk of diving into the supernatural here, my opinion is that whenever something like this happens, that's how it was meant to happen. Meaning Panasonic's decision alone to charge money for this upgrade does NOT mean that they deserve money for it. From a Divine point of view. For atheists, let's just say it's the Universe not agreeing with Panasonic's decision of asking money, hence the loophole.

To give you a more comparable example, we as videographers may charge whatever we wish, whatever we consider "right" for us. If that amount is larger than what the Universe considers we deserve, stuff might happen. We might drop a lens on the floor and cause damage, maybe a possible client decides to go with someone else instead of us on a future project and we lose money that way, maybe the GH3 breaks down during a routine firmware update and we need to send it in for a repair [me]... the possibilities are endless. I know it may sound like a poor and bogus excuse, but over the years I have seen countless examples of this happen.

You can of course call it nothing more than a coincidence, that Panasonic just goofed up a little and overlooked that activation bypass and that we all make mistakes and that they still deserve to get paid for it. But, as Gary said, there is nothing illegal about what we're doing here, everything we've used to make it work we obtained from Panasonic directly.

And by the way, I'm sure a lot of GH4 users either have already bought the upgrade kit or will do so in the future. I have no doubts about that. But hey, some people who are more informed and active on forums deserve a break every now and then. Especially we Eastern Europeans who charge 350 Euros for a wedding.
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #25
Regular Crew

An honest person would have contacted Panasonic about their oversight before broadcasting to the world that the upgrade is"free".
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
An honest person would have contacted Panasonic about their oversight before broadcasting to the world that the upgrade is"free".
Has nothing to do with being an honest person, or a dishonest person, and it's not cool for you to try to paint your fellow board members in that light over something like this. That seems both petty and judgemental, and I think that says more about you than anyone else.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
I am surprised at the number of people who would revel in the act of stealing software
Eventhough it was not intended, Panasonic made it available for everyone to activate and use, nobody stole anything from them, it was their mistake.
I have installed v-log now, for free, only because I want to see what the fuzz is about, log footage is just not for me but now at least I get the chance to play with it for a while without wasting my money until I probably get so frustrated because I don't know how to use and colorcorrect it properly, it will be removed from my camera when Panasonic releases a real firmware update where they don't need to lie about it's contents as it is obvious right now that the "improved firmware" is only to close the loophole and they would have been better off just saying it as it is.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Sure, Panasonic made a mistake, and because they are a big impersonal corporation it is easy to treat them with disregard - but what if it was a close friend of yours? How would you explain doing something that is obviously completely against their wishes?

I would hope, at the very least, that those of you who have installed v-log without paying for it will, after you have "played" with it, either pay for it or stop using it.

I very much doubt this will happen however. Such is the modern age of the great self-serving internet...
Mark Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
Sure, Panasonic made a mistake, and because they are a big impersonal corporation it is easy to treat them with disregard - but what if it was a close friend of yours?
That's simply a terrible analogy. Do you send Panasonic a Christmas card? Do you call Panasonic on its birthday? What if it was a close friend of yours?

See? Silly.

Quote:
I very much doubt this will happen however. Such is the modern age of the great self-serving internet...
Oh please, then go be self-righteous somewhere else.
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Your reply is totally predictable.

There is no way you are going to change your mind. But clearly you also don't respect other people's opinions. Instead you call me names and tell me to go away.

So now we know what kind of guy you are don't we? Maybe not the best guy to take moral advice from.
Mark Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series