Gx8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 17th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gx8

Hi,
Have played around with the new toy a bit now but can't seem to find a way of getting decent footage of propeller aircraft. The blades appear to be turning at 5 rpm & that simply does not look right at both 4 K @25p & 1920 @ 50p. Is this a problem that can be overcome ?
Thanks for any advise
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Gx8

At what shutterspeed are you shooting?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Noa,
thank you for replying. It's at 60.
Old October 17th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you shoot at 50fps your shutter should normally be at 1/100, if you shoot at 25fps it should be 1/50 for normal motion blur. That is not an obligation because sometimes you need to adjust the shutter if you get horizontal stripes in your shot caused by indoor lights, cheap lights can often force you to deviate from the general rule just to get the banding away. Higher shutter also freezes motion more, like when you shoot a fountain of water where you can see every single waterdrop fall at high shutter speeds.

I"m not sure as I have not tested it but you also might get rolling shutter distortion and using a "normal shutter" might not have the effect you are after, I found below video with more info about this and maybe a solution to your problem:

Old October 17th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Noa,
Thank you for this very interesting & informative reply. I will be flying in the morning & will experiment with what I just learnt.
kindest regards
Old October 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Noa,
I just checked some footage & found that the helicopter blades are just perfect at 25p 4K 60 as is the propeller of a C208 however, on a Dash 8 it looks like the propellers are at standstill. On the smaller piston AC the blades go backwards & forward.
I tried to attach pics but it doesn't work.
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

This is one of those examples where the general shutter rules don't apply for whatever reason, it's like when I shoot under cheap led lights and I get horizontal banding eventhough I am at the "right" shutter, I sometimes have to go from 1/50 to 1/40 or 1/60 to get rid of the stripes.

The only thing you can do is to try different shutterspeeds on the spot and check in your viewfinder when the propellor appears to be turning at a normal speed.
Old October 18th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Trustee

This will also be dependent on the speed of the propeller - hence why you're getting mixed results from different aircraft.

Record the propeller as the ignition starts and it throttles up to full speed and you'll see this effect clearly - the propeller will seem to speed up, slow down, stand still and even reverse direction when in reality it should be speeding up the whole time.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi John,
I did exactly that today. I shot up through the top panels of the chopper during cruise & the blades showed that perfect hint of movement at 100 shutterspeed & 50p. The main rotors are doing 360 rpm & the tail rotor a hell of a lot more. All show up as they should. Will ask my friend to gradually wind up the fan of the Dash 8 & see how the varying rpm show up at different shutter speeds.
Once I learn how to post pics on DVinfonet I will.
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series