GH4 V-Log and noise issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Major Player

GH4 V-Log and noise issues

The VLOG seems to have aLOT of noise in it, even when I set the ISO higher, especially indoors with artificial lighting. Ahas anyone been able to fix this or reduce it to a bare minimum?
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH4 V-Log and noise issues

Brian,

I turned NR in the V-Log setting to +2. I personally would ignore the advice of exposing at higher ISO's to reduce noise. That just limits your options on exposure and pushes your exposure range past the ceiling.

Just keep the exposure within the 80 IRE max and set your ISO with the range you need. I just shot some interviews at ISO 400, on a Canon EF 1.4 at almost wide open. If I squint I can see a little macro blocking in the blacks, but I just lowered them slightly and it looked fine. You might try setting the NR setting higher to your liking. It worked for me.

Also, I shot in ProRes 4:2:2 in 10 bit. I haven't shot anything in 8 bit.

That's my two cents, Cheers.
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: GH4 V-Log and noise issues

Im mostly shooting 1080 at 200mb, not sure if that makes a difference. haven't done 4K yet with the Vlog. Will try your settings and let you know.

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series