GH3: best option for XLR audio inputs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

GH3: best option for XLR audio inputs?

What do you recommend as an XLR input adjunct for the GH3? I know there is the DMW-YAGH for the GH4, but I don't think it works with the GH3 (?)
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH3: best option for XLR audio inputs?

What about the Beachtek units Bill?? They are nicely made and you can get models that go under the camera like the Panasonic unit or ones that clip on the hotshoe and also give you extra accessory mount points

B&H have a nice selection
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:30 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
What do you recommend as an XLR input adjunct for the GH3? I know there is the DMW-YAGH for the GH4, but I don't think it works with the GH3 (?)
The DMW-YAGH is over expensive in my opinion, but then it handles video out as well and I think more geared for studio recording. As Chris says the Beachtek work very well; thinking of buying 1 myself. There are other options like Tascam that do audio recorders - check out their DR-70D.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the dr60 which can send recorded audio into a camera and record at the same time to it's own sd card as well, the quality that goes into the camera is not as good as what is directly recorded onto the tascam though. I think the dr70 does the same but is much less bulky then the dr60.

The DMW-YAGH should have worked on it's own internal batteries to be any success but it doesn't, you need a external powersource for it to function and I"m not sure if it will work on the gh3, I just saw that it has come down in price from 2000 dollar to 500 now in just one year, I"m sure they had to do that because it didn't sell well.

If you only need XLR connectivity then a simple beachtek will do just fine.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Here's a vote for the Tascam. It works. Is cheaper than the correct Beachtek (the cheaper models don't work well with the AGC of the GH3). And it records. Given the state of audio electronics these days, Beachtek is oddly producing expensive, out of date hardware that work well with camcorders but not with many DSLRs. I use the Tascam and it's a great unit.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

sound devices mix pre-d and keep audio levels at minimum i.e.1 in order to reduce negate agc
Ade Towell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
The DMW-YAGH is over expensive in my opinion, but then it handles video out as well and I think more geared for studio recording. As Chris says the Beachtek work very well; thinking of buying 1 myself. There are other options like Tascam that do audio recorders - check out their DR-70D.
The DR-70D looks great, but it appears that the only output is line level, and I'm not sure of the output is mixing all audio sources into a mono signal or keeping them separate. Does anyone know?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It seems that the DR70 has only two outputs, a headphone and a line out. The DR60 has three outputs, two line outs at difference impedances and a headphone out. I have this model and with a Sescom line splitter I can send the audio to two cameras.

The DR70 is interesting in that it has built-in microphones that I would assume are a decent step up from the camera microphones.
Old November 26th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #9
Major Player

If you don't mind a little soldering there's always the Irig pre hack.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I used to mount my Zoom H1 on my GH1 and run the line out into the mic jack, when I upgraded to the GH4 I also got the H5, I can do the same thing, requires a ring to work properly, but its the cheaper solution for me.
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
The DR-70D looks great, but it appears that the only output is line level, and I'm not sure of the output is mixing all audio sources into a mono signal or keeping them separate. Does anyone know?
A menu option allows you to choose between mic or line out. Also in the menu for each output you can choose left, right or centre.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi there
I've been using the Juiced link Riggy-Micro RM 202 on my Canon EOS 60d and it really is very good.
Small light (smaller than the Beachtek) with good clean audio... I read before buying the audio was better too.
Check out this review on DSLR Video shooter site..:
This not the exact same model I have as I wanted the smaller unit to put on a rig...

This then would work great with a GH3.

cheers
Gareth
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #13
Major Player

i've been happy with the tascam 70d, i don't typically use it with the gh3 but the nice thing is that it has those extra inputs in case you need them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series