DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New lenses for Panasonic G7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/531272-new-lenses-panasonic-g7.html)

Michael Silverman February 28th, 2016 10:51 PM

New lenses for Panasonic G7

For the past two years I've been shooting weddings with two Canon C100 Mk1's and a Canon 70D. I've never been thrilled with the 70D because it's poor in low light (compared to the C100s) and the image is much softer than the C100s. I saw the G7 on sale from B&H for $600 with a $100 gift card so I decided to get it to replace my 70D.

I'm excited to use the G7, but I'm very new to the M43 world and I don't know what to do in regards to lenses. My current setup for ceremonies is two C100s on each side with a Canon 70-200 f/4, and a 70D in the middle of the aisle with a Canon 85 f/1.8. We often film in very dimly lit churches where I will need shoot at 3200 ISO on my C100s while wide open at f/4. When this is the case, I can open up the 85mm prime to around f/2.0 on my 70D and then I only need to bump up the ISO to either 640 or 800 to match the exposure of the C100s. at 800 the 70D has very little noise as well so I can match the exposure an noise level pretty well.

Now that I'm switching the G7, I'm aiming to shoot in 4K for most or all ceremonies so that I can shoot fairly wide and then zoom in later in post. I was looking at getting a Metabones adaptor for $400 and using my Canon 28 f/1.8 for most ceremonies, but then I read that the AF isn't great when shooting video using the Metabones adaptor. I always have an assistant monitoring this camera and I tell them to use the "Push AF" on the 70D since it's very accurate and easy to use.

Can anyone can comment on the speed and accuracy of the AF when using the Metabones EF adaptor? If it's not good then it's not a good solution for the way we shoot so I've got a couple other options I've thought about.

My next idea is to go for something like the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 since I've read very good reviews of it. However, my concern is that if I'm at f/4 and 3200 on my C100 will I be able to expose the G7 footage so that it matches the C100 in brightness and has equal or less noise? (the C100 has very little noise at 3200 ISO). I don't want to add denoiser to the footage since some of these ceremonies are really long and it will take much longer to export.

If it's pretty likely that a 2.8 lens won't work for these dimly lit churches, then the other option is to go with a couple of primes such as the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7. Depending on how far back my assistant needs to be, I'll use the appropriate prime so that he can get a shot of the entire wedding party and also leave me the option to zoom in 100% for a tighter shot. If this is the option I go with, please comment on whether or not these would be a good pair of primes to go with or if there are some better (possibly cheaper) options.

Noa Put February 29th, 2016 03:24 PM

Re: New lenses for Panasonic G7

The g7 is usable up to 6400 iso, for wider shots the 15mm f1.7 is a great lens as it has a iris ring on front and the 42,5 f1.7 is an awesome stabilized prime. I would only use native m4/3 lenses from panasonic or olympus for the best autofocus.

Pete Carney March 1st, 2016 09:05 AM

Re: New lenses for Panasonic G7

I will concur with Noa that the 15mm and 42.5mm f/1.7's are my go to lenses for nearly everything now.

I picked up the 15mm used for $280 and the 42.5mm new last fall for $299 when it came up on sale. Amazing images for the price on my GH4 !!! I've found they both perform very well wide open and I tend to keep them there with a circular polarizer and ND filters if needed.

I've found that f/2.8 on the zooms like you said are just not quite shallow enough depth of field or fast enough for the type of image I like. I always have one of the primes on there unless I'm doing some long range wildlife stuff it seems.

I have a passive metabones for my older OM lenses and it is a rare occurrence that I bring it out now a days. If I'm trying to do something really artistic I'll use it with my 50mm f/1.4. I don't like the metabones on my 24mm f/2 at all. The 15mm f/1.7 just looks way better and is a tiny bit wider.

For those getter done, in the heat of the moment action shots I just like the native primes better than anything.

Just my $0.02

Cheers,
Pete