How do you grade yourGH4/ G7 footage? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: How do you grade yourGH4/ G7 footage?

Ok, so the myth of the better color space once the footage is downgraded to 1080 has been destroyed.
As far as sharpness, I really don't care increasing the sharpness at all, it's sharp enough. My problem with all those cheap 8 bits cam, I found a G 7 for $450, is not the sharpness but the color space. There is a local access TV station where I live that let us play with a RED Scarlet and I simply can't stand how little latitude I have with the G7. I've actually learned how to love the stills it produces with vintage lenses. I'm playing with some older Nikkors, but for video I've found out that it simply can't even come close to what a Canon XF 305 can do while recording to an outside recorder in 4:2:2, sure the G7 is 4K
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

If latitude is so important to you and the ability to grade the footage why don't you buy a Black magic camera and shoot raw?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
My problem with all those cheap 8 bits cam, I found a G 7 for $450, is not the sharpness but the color space. There is a local access TV station where I live that let us play with a RED Scarlet and I simply can't stand how little latitude I have with the G7.
What are you doing to the footage exactly? Adding saturation? Adjusting contrast?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Larry, now I remember our discussion again from a while ago about the black magic camera's :) In that case just disregard my last suggestion, last thing you said about the G7 was that it had "more then enough quality for you to tell the stories you care about" and now that's not possible anymore because of the colorspace? What did you expect from downgrading 4:2:0 8 bit 4K to 1080p, that it would become gradable like raw footage?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:52 PM   #20
Major Player

I just got a G7, and it feels like you really have to nail your exposure on camera in 4K 100mbps My best results came from exporting the sequence as tiffs, then importing all the frames into light room. Then I could bring down the highlights and shadows a bit more than effects in premiere. Then re-exported and back to after effects, then exported as a Cineform 10bit video. then adobe media encoder for a youtube version.

Not something to do for just homevideos but if its something worth wild.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:11 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Would you not be able to do the same in resolve? I have tried it but looks to complicated to me but it would save doing those roundtrips between different programs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series