Breendonk fortress at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 26th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Breendonk fortress

In Breendonk, Belgium you"ll find the best conserved concentrationcamp in Western-Europe. It's not exactly a place you go to for fun but to be remembered how gruesome war can be. It's a quite immersive experience as you get a audiorecorder with some numbered buttons when you start the tour and every photo you see with a face is numbered and has a story, you just press the number on your audio device and you get the matching story. I didn't want to take a tripod, slider etc with me as I found that a bit too inappropriate so just my gx80 with a 12mm f2.0 and a 25mm f1.4 and shoot handheld. All voices you hear where recorded on location as there where also films playing showing how a day at Breendonk looked like. I choose to make it b/w for obvious reasons and shot in 4K with detail dialed down and added back in post, didn't see any sign of aliasing in 4K which was the case in 1080P.

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Breendonk fortress

Very nice Noa! The piece is well shot and put together in the edit. Haunting soundtrack and you captured the eerie mood of that place.
Must be nice to get away from the wedding gigs for a spell. Well done.
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thx :) These short trips that I do are a great moment to experiment and I can use that experience at my weddings, the only condition is that I at least can walk around a minimum of 2 hours so I can gather enough footage to make a short impression. That little gx80 has become one of my better investments for either my personal work and especially my weddings where it gets used the entire day.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Very well done, Noa, and way too ugly for my stomach. Powerful stuff. Bit of a contrast versus shooting a wedding (or is it :-))

A question if I may: I continue to come across reports that the EVF is problematic. What's your thoughts especially when shooting in bright sunlight now that you have shot enough to really get to know the camera. Truly appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Bit of a contrast versus shooting a wedding
I wonder if that location ever get a request for a wedding photoshoot :)

A problem with the viewfinder is when you place your eye exactly in the center of the viewfinder the edges of the frame are more blurry, when I move my eye slightly to the left or right the edges get more sharper, it's something you get used to but the viewing angle of the viewfinder is limited.

Otherwise it's a very clear and bright viewfinder but it doesn't cover your eye when shooting outside, but even then I managed to shoot outside in bright sunlight. Also the lcd screen was still usable in those conditions. Ideally you would attach a loupe onto the lcd screen.
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Trustee

Love this Noa, well done...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thx :) I actually wanted to take my black magic pocket camera with me but everytime I look at that thing I get tired knowing how much more effort it takes to shoot and edit. The gx80 is such an effortless camera to use.
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Noa, I might just go ahead and get one.

I was wondering how you were getting on with the BMPCC. I know exactly what you mean and consequently I don't even look at it anymore. It's going on Trademe. I shall probably get what it's worth - not a lot! What a waste of money that was.
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I was lucky that I was able to buy the pocket cam at half price, new price was then 1100 euro and I paid 500, I see now it has gone down in price to 1000 new so I probably will be selling it soon for the same price I paid for it, will trow a extra battery for it so the new buyer is still getting a good deal. I will however take it with me one more time the following days for a personal shoot just to convince myself I am making the right choice. :)
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Half-price is good. No such joy for me.

I just attempted to place an order for a Lumix GX85 with B&H (the GX80 available here in PAL New Zealand has a max 4k frame rate of 25p while the NTSC gX85 does 30p - to my eyes there is a difference - and with the NTSC version I don't get the motion artifacts when viewing on my 4k monitor). Problem is when I go to check out I'm informed no can do because of restrictions on shipping Lithium Ion batteries yet the fellow at B&H chat says 'no problem', and now they are closed. No instant gratification for me today!
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:44 PM   #11
Trustee

Really moving piece Noa. Very well put together. You are getting great results from the GX80. Thanks for sharing.
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series