Sony A6000 or RX10ii & I buy Panasonic G7! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old November 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony A6000 or RX10ii & I buy Panasonic G7!

started a thread on the sony sub-forum but it probably should now be moved to the panasonic g/gh side of the block.

sony->panasonic sage:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-rx-...-420-8bit.html

the G7 with 14-42mm kit lens will be here in a few days and then i will officially be in m4/3 land.

the black friday price was just too good for me to ignore.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.production
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony A6000 or RX10ii & I buy Panasonic G7!

Hi Rob--

Congrats on your new G7!

I haven't been following your thread, but was curious what you were wanting to do with your G7?

I recently rented out a GH4 kit with a Panny 12-35mm lens for a wedding project. I go into this wedding with just 3 days to handle the GH4 for the first time...and long story short, I was amazed and completely impressed the way it handled!

I used Adobe CS5 (on a somewhat fast and robust desktop) and it handled the footage sorta okay-ish. Meaning, I was able to import, encode, and export to Blu-Ray. (But playback was very jarring, very pixelated.)

Anyway, I came away from the GH4 experience definitely wanting one (at least a used one :) But will also be looking at other Panny MFT options.

Best,
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Major Player

jeff-

thanks for the thumbs up.

i do a lot of web media for not-4-profits.

very often the material can be confrontive and the interviewees are usually not "pros".

i wanted to create a REALLY non-intimidating interview kit that did reasonable in non high key lighting and/or natural lighting and offered some opportunity to broach 4k acquisition.

for the $400-ish black friday sale price, i thought the g7 offered a better opportunity than an sony a6000 or a sony rx10ii (the former has a aps-c sensor and no audio in/out while the later has a 1" sensor and 3.5" audio in/outs)

with a m4/3 sensor, i should do better in various lighting conditions than the rx10ii.

and with 4k acquisition onto a 1080 timeline, i should have a decent image compared to the a6000.

i'm looking forward to the march/april 2017 release of the gh5.

if all goes well, the g7 could be a wonderful b camera to a gh5.

i'm glad your gh4 experience was so positive.

presently, you can find a used gh4 for less than $1k.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Yikes! Just checked the G7s specs and it said it doesn't have continuous recording like the GH4. I'll need that for live events.

The G85 has continuous recording, so that's another option on my list.

I'm also looking forward to the GH5...so I can buy a used GH4 :)

As a side note, I paired the GH4 with a Canon HV30 miniDV cam to use as a wide, master shot of the ceremony. Yeah, kind of what you expect with that pairing of an HDV format to a very stellar 4K camera. But with a little color correcting (and a bit of "dumbing down" of the GH4 footage), it was workable.

Best,
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

All of these photo cameras have 29 minute limit built in so manufacture can avoid paying some governmental charge for video classification. Panasonic made a tactical decision with GH4 to separate themselves. You have to be careful you don't lose track of time and the camera stops recording.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Pete--

Yep, when I shot that wedding a few weeks ago, I purposefully rented the GH4 partly because of the continuous recording option. The ceremony was just under a tad 25 minutes, so the 29 record time limit on other DLSRs would have been no problem at all. But of course, I wouldn't have known that during the wedding day (even though we asked several times how long the ceremony would be. Better safe than sorry, eh?)

I have been looking, researching for a dedicated video camera, just to get back into video production. And lo and behold, I'm seriously thinking about either a mirrorless or a DSLR. (But the continuous recording option would be a very big part of my decision.)

The other nerve-wracking thing about shooting that wedding with the GH4 (aside for not having any experience with a GH4) was that it only had 1 SD card slot...no dual recording for safety. So I was a bit on pins on needles with that!

Best,

Last edited by Jeff Anselmo; December 2nd, 2016 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added material that seemed relevant to post but may only be important to me :)
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It's hard making decisions because they all have their drawbacks but I would say the Gh4 is at the top of the list for mirror less cameras for that type of work. The best you can do is have a second camera filming a safety wide shot. But that's weddings for you, unpredictability and pressure!
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Major Player

4k + mirrorless = heat issues.

at least on most of the sony mirrorless cameras that i have explored.

i felt the larger body panasonic did a better job of getting rid of the heat and thus avoided the dreaded heat warnings and eventually shutdowns.

the sonys are either full frame or aps-c sensors.

the gh4 & g7 are m4/3 sized sensors.

the 1" sensor cameras don't seem to generate the kind of heat that would cause a shut down.

these cameras usually don't have any time limits on their recordings.

and some might have dual card slots-i'm not sure.

but all of them will probably not do as well in lower light situations due to their small sensor size.

good-cheap-fast: you only get to pick two (famed triangle hung up in coppola's edit suite when they were cutting apocalypse now)

for now, the same rules apply, you only get to pick two: heat-sensor size-time length-dual recording.

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
4k + mirrorless = heat issues.

at least on most of the sony mirrorless cameras that i have explored.
Only sony seems to have issues with that but not panasonic, neither my gh4 or my gx85 have a problem shooting in 4k, have not experienced any overheating yet in continuous recordings.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The Sony A7s I don't think has heat issues but it's a lot more expensive. The smaller apc cameras A6 series can have issues. In addition I've read some terrible user reviews of both of these Sony cameras dying and not being able to handle the smallest amount of rain. Also reports of terrible customer repair/service which Sony farms out to a 3rd party. That really cooled my interest. I wouldn't buy those cameras without an extended warranty. Theses tiny cameras aren't intended for longevity and commercial use.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series