DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533350-vlog-l-panasonic-rec709-lut.html)

Mark Rosenzweig January 2nd, 2017 09:36 AM

Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT

These are the colors you get when you shoot with Vlog-L and apply the official Panasonic REC709 LUT. This was shot in ProRes HQ on the Shogun Inferno and the LUT was applied in Resolve with no further adjustment in color:

Jay Massengill January 2nd, 2017 10:37 AM

Re: Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT

What lens were you using for this test footage?

Mark Rosenzweig January 2nd, 2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1925617)
What lens were you using for this test footage?

Lumix 100-300mm.

George Dean January 2nd, 2017 02:19 PM

Hi Mark,

Nice test. What/where is the "official Panasonic REC709 LUT"? Is this the V709 Varicam?

Thank You.....

Mark Rosenzweig January 2nd, 2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Dean (Post 1925628)
Hi Mark,

Nice test. What/where is the "official Panasonic REC709 LUT"? Is this the V709 Varicam?

Thank You.....

The LUT is supplied by Panasonic specifically for Vlog L for the GH4. Here is the link:

About extended function of V-Log L for DMC-GH4 | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Jay Massengill January 2nd, 2017 03:54 PM

Nice bokeh with that lens.

So the monitor on the Inferno gives you good confidence about your exposure when shooting in V-Log L? Are you also using the waveform on the camera?

Do you have a photo of your setup with the camera and Inferno for shooting out in the field?

What is your white balance procedure on a rainy day like this one in the test?

Thanks for the info and your examples.

George Dean January 2nd, 2017 04:13 PM

Thank You Mark for the link.

Months ago when I installed the VLog L in the GH4, I already had some LUTs and since have downloaded and tried others, as well as, making some of my own. I didn't remember this specific LUT, because apparently I failed to scroll down the page!!!!

Thank You Again, I'll try this one out.

Mark Rosenzweig January 2nd, 2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1925638)
Nice bokeh with that lens.

So the monitor on the Inferno gives you good confidence about your exposure when shooting in V-Log L? Are you also using the waveform on the camera?

Do you have a photo of your setup with the camera and Inferno for shooting out in the field?

What is your white balance procedure on a rainy day like this one in the test?

Thanks for the info and your examples.

The Inferno has a waveform and zebra stripes and other exposure aids. I actually shot this video for HDR, and shot ETTR, but given the cloudy skies I decided there was not much point in rendering in HDR. I had a great deal of exposure latitude. AWB was used, as all the scenes were evenly lit and it looked accurate on the monitor (which also shows the VLog L with a Panasonic LUT).

The camera was mounted on a tripod; I handheld the Shogun, attached by an HDMI cable to the camera. I find it easier to shoot and move around this way.

Jay Massengill January 3rd, 2017 06:47 AM

Good info. Thanks for your tests and explanations!

Mark Rosenzweig January 5th, 2017 09:24 AM

This is another example of VLOG L and the Panasonic REC709 LUT, this time in very contrasty settings (bright sun and shade), with a lot more color:

Mark Rosenzweig January 6th, 2017 07:43 PM

In snow.

Steve Burkett January 9th, 2017 02:27 PM

I played around with vLog a year ago but gave up as I found grading it a nightmare. The LUT suggested here has been a godsend. Applied to some of that footage I shot back then and finally I have something I can work with. Look forward to trying out things further especially when the GH5 comes around and I can shoot 4:2:2 10 bit.

Mark Rosenzweig January 10th, 2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1926171)
I played around with vLog a year ago but gave up as I found grading it a nightmare. The LUT suggested here has been a godsend. Applied to some of that footage I shot back then and finally I have something I can work with. Look forward to trying out things further especially when the GH5 comes around and I can shoot 4:2:2 10 bit.

Even better, the Vlog L REC709 LUT can be applied *in camera* with the GH5, so you can see better what your video will look like in the field, at least as a start.

Dan Gunn February 25th, 2017 10:10 AM

Viewing VLC videos

Help! I can not view these video samples. I see a black or white screen with the VLC icon. I do have VLC installed on my computer and I use it.

What gives?

Piotr Wozniacki September 23rd, 2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1925647)
The Inferno has a waveform and zebra stripes and other exposure aids. I actually shot this video for HDR, and shot ETTR, but given the cloudy skies I decided there was not much point in rendering in HDR. I had a great deal of exposure latitude. AWB was used, as all the scenes were evenly lit and it looked accurate on the monitor (which also shows the VLog L with a Panasonic LUT).

The camera was mounted on a tripod; I handheld the Shogun, attached by an HDMI cable to the camera. I find it easier to shoot and move around this way.

Mark - unlike with S-log, with V-log L you should never ETTR. Use WFM and pay special attention that you never ever touch the 80 IRE or you will clip whites in an unrecoverable way. You should instead expose to Middle Gray, with those target values:

0% reflectance (black): 7.3 IRE
18% reflectance (middle gray): 42 IRE
90% reflectance (white): 61 IRE
absolute clipped superwhite: 80 IRE

Piotr