New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 21st, 2017, 12:05 AM   #256
Trustee

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
If you want something to track sports with the Sony AX53 camcorder I think is a better choice. I have both the GH5 and the AX53 and the AX53 has a better stabilizer, smaller sensor so depth of field is wider and 20x zoom. Auto focus of both is not too different if you switch OFF the Custom settings on the GH5. Of course it costs half as much as the GH5 without lens too. AX53 shooting XAVC-S 50/60P gives a nice image.
Good advice, but i think Steve was actually being facetious in his comments. :) He's not really looking at the GH5, just drawing attention to some scuttlebutt.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:38 AM   #257
Inner Circle

You have to give him the benefit of the doubt, as much as he has shown how much he dislikes anything Panasonic the GH5 might change his opinion. But with good autofocus being his highest priority I have to agree with Ron where a handycam with a smaller sensor and deeper dof would be a much better choice to shoot his soccer games with.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:59 AM   #258
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You have to give him the benefit of the doubt, as much as he has shown how much he dislikes anything Panasonic the GH5 might change his opinion. But with good autofocus being his highest priority I have to agree with Ron where a handycam with a smaller sensor and deeper dof would be a much better choice to shoot his soccer games with.
This is a long thread; have you forgotten the earlier discussions. Didn't you bring up Mums using the 80d to film football and not liking the results. I'm just assuming Steve is following on with the same... well let's call it banter. :)
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:21 AM   #259
Inner Circle

Have you forgotten that your being "sort of detrimental to him" started this discussion? :) I just joined in for the fun of it.
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:45 AM   #260
Inner Circle

Also, I ordered the GH5 and should be here next week so I can help answering any more questions Steve might have about the camera, even if he never plans on getting one.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:08 AM   #261
Trustee

Quote:
Have you forgotten that your being "sort of detrimental to him" started this discussion? :) I just joined in for the fun of it.
Hardly given what happened. I just quoted your previous football comment as I was reminded of it when Steve suggested the GH5 be also used to film football for their Mum's. Still, it could be a coincidence. Perhaps the World is full of people buying cameras to film football for their Mummy's pleasure. :)

So you finally caved in and ordered a GH5. I knew it wouldn't take long. :) Despite a few niggles, some blown way out of proportion, often to act as clickbait by vloggers; it's a camera with a lot to offer. I'll be interested in your thoughts on it when you have had a chance to work with it.

Incidentally I saw the video that supposedly highlights a moire problem. I'm trying to decide if it was a deliberate spoof of a bad vlog video. If it was meant to be serious, it's hard to take any of its conclusions seriously. Comments were disabled on the video too, hardly a good sign. Filming in 4K, I've not seen any moire in excess of say the G80 or GX80. The lack of low pass filter does make it more likely than say the GH4, but again, nothing that I've noticed. I've certainly not felt I've seen more moire since using it and only in extreme cases.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:31 AM   #262
Inner Circle

Wasn't planning to get the gh5 until end of this year and to use my g80 as main camera until then but after using it at the last wedding I"m only moderately enthusiastic about it, I don't know what it is but it has a softer image in HD and 4k then my gh4, on big screen it's not really noticeable but when I place them side by side it's more clear.

The biggest issue I have with it is that a few shots I made looked kind of soft, I could not see if the focus had shifted to the front or back of the subject, the footage was just a bit blurry which was something I didn't see in my viewfinder. I always prefocus by half pressing the shutterbutton which then locks the focus so no additional autofocussing is going on. Have not experienced this on my gx80 which still remains my favorite camera to use.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:50 AM   #263
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Good advice, but i think Steve was actually being facetious in his comments. :) He's not really looking at the GH5, just drawing attention to some scuttlebutt.
I think you may have a serious self conscious issue Steve that needs sorting out with a psychologist. If you read it correctly it was a serious comment in regard to all reports on you tube, Now you seem to look at any comments i make as facetious so scuttlebutt out mate...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:56 AM   #264
Trustee

Quote:
Wasn't planning to get the gh5 until end of this year and to use my g80 as main camera until then but after using it at the last wedding I"m only moderately enthusiastic about it, I don't know what it is but it has a softer image in HD and 4k then my gh4, on big screen it's not really noticeable but when I place them side by side it's more clear.

The biggest issue I have with it is that a few shots I made looked kind of soft, I could not see if the focus had shifted to the front or back of the subject, the footage was just a bit blurry which was something I didn't see in my viewfinder. I always prefocus by half pressing the shutterbutton which then locks the focus so no additional autofocussing is going on. Have not experienced this on my gx80 which still remains my favorite camera to use.
To be honest, I wasn't too sold on the G80. I often preferred to stick with the GX80. I'm keeping with the camera as the colour matches well with my GX80 and GH5. I can't say the footage is softer though, but there is something about it that doesn't quite work with me.

I plan to get another GH5 towards the end of the year, and then I'll sell the G80.
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:17 AM   #265
Inner Circle

The G80 I mainly got because I had a very good deal on it, ordered it in the UK and got a free batterygrip and free 64gb sandisc card, if I counted the pricedifference as well on the body only between the UK and Belgium I made a 500 euro profit. Going to continue to use it though, mainly because of it's better audio and as b-cam for guest reactions etc.
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:25 AM   #266
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
I think you may have a serious self conscious issue Steve that needs sorting out with a psychologist. If you read it correctly it was a serious comment in regard to all reports on you tube, Now you seem to look at any comments i make as facetious so scuttlebutt out mate...
Steve and I will behave from now on, as a sign of our good will we have answered your question, I told you where to find good info about the autofocus and Steve has mentioned something about the so called moire issue. If you need to know more just ask!
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:35 AM   #267
Trustee

Perfect now thats a serious reply not a baby one cheers Noa
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:44 AM   #268
Trustee

Quote:
Steve and I will behave from now on, as a sign of our good will we have answered your question, I told you where to find good info about the autofocus and Steve has mentioned something about the so called moire issue. If you need to know more just ask!
Yeah the free battery grip I got makes it a good camera to have around, but also a good one to sell. What perhaps ticks it in the sell category is the 29 min clip limit. I have two GX80s and they serve me well alongside my 2 GH4Rs and if I have 2 GH5s, the G80 becomes superfluous.
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:51 AM   #269
Trustee

Quote:
Maybe I did jump to hasty conclusions. I'm biased perhaps after our last exchange. Still the GH5 is hardly news anymore and this is an old thread. Steve would do better to start a new one in the GH forum or the Events one if seeking genuine advice from others.

As to my own behaviour, I've added Steve to my ignore list now, so this will prevent further unpleasant run ins. For the best I think.
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:23 AM   #270
Trustee

Thats better Steve sarcasm just does not suit fellow professionals especially when you refer me to another forum member (Ron) who was helping with advice. Just hope Ron does not take notice of Chinese whispers that make a person look bad or sides one against the other... Cheers
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series