New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 21st, 2017, 05:29 AM   #271
Inner Circle

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Quote:
Thats better Steve
Just that you know, being added to a ignore list means he cannot read your reactions anymore while logged in so responding to him is kinda pointless.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:55 AM   #272
Trustee

Human nature will seek to see what i say lastly...End of story i am a big boy its now gone
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:02 PM   #273
Inner Circle

Been checking out the moire problem you mention and it was below video you where referring to?

I think there are 2 things going on here; he is shooting regular frame rates and then high frame rates, maybe up to 180fps in camera as he mentions it almost at the end of the video, every time he is shooting a normal frame rate I don't see any moire but everytime he mentions "vfr" in his image my guess is he is shooting at 180fps which is known for it's lesser resolution which most likely is causing more artifacts like moire and aliasing.

There is probably a reason why he disabled comments because by now many would have asked for more specifications about his vfr footage and they probably would have start calling him an idiot because he has no clue what he is talking about.

Old April 21st, 2017, 12:07 PM   #274
Inner Circle

About autofocusing, have you seen the video I referred to? Below one shows the best info so far

Old April 21st, 2017, 12:08 PM   #275
Wrangler

I just naturally batch ignore all Steve's on the internet... :D

Anyway, back to the GH5 or the penalty box. Seriously...

I got ours last week and have to say...

This sucker is really well built! If it wasn't in a DLSR form factor and had some proper audio inputs, it would be a serious contender in the pro video cam world as opposed to a weird niche that they have with the MFT sensor size.

And when I say it's really well built, I mean... it's the first Panasonic I've ever owned that's felt equally or better built that Canon, Nikon and Sony. I'm impressed! It feels quite a bit more chunky than the GH4 as well, which is a bonus. The GH4 was decent but this thing is a small tank!
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:13 PM   #276
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Been checking out the moire problem you mention and it was below video you where referring to?
Yeah that's the one doing the rounds. Click bait for a vlogger. I could post a similar video about any camera; doesn't make me right, just cos it's online. Take any camera and balloon small issues out of proportion is alas one of the many things the internet excels at.

Last edited by Steve Burkett; April 21st, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:21 PM   #277
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I got ours last week and have to say...This sucker is really well built!
Got mine this afternoon, also positively surprised by the build quality, the joystick is a very nice addition.
Eventhough I just took a few testshots I find that 1080p is looking very good, almost looks as detailed as 4k.
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:46 PM   #278
Trustee

There was some discussion on DpReview how the GH5 being larger than the GH4 negated the small size advantage of the Micro 4/3's systems. Now most of those comments were by those who probably had no intention on owning the GH5. However I think the larger size works in its favour. It does feel a more professional camera in your hands. Nicely balanced and fits comfortably in my hands.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:22 AM   #279
Trustee

Quote:
About autofocusing, have you seen the video I referred to? Below one shows the best info so far

https://youtu.be/YlvFQM1GHW4
Correct and that is good and i hope it sorts itself out but then i look at this video
in particular the flower situation at 11 minutes on wards. Auto focus really is not a major problem to be fair as i am mainly manual but it sure does help in the wedding day as for general running and gunning throughout the day for 12 hours and as we all know how stressful the day is without having extra issues.
There are some fantastic attributes to this camera and i hope the little problems sort themselves out and i for one may look at it again.
This was a good test also and a fair one,
Moire problems seem to be just the one guy so i think thats not major at the moment, hey but all cameras have faults thats why the manufacturers keep bringing them out for us to keep updating unfortunately...I am sure all will be well soon with the few teething problems, everyone will use the good attributes of this camera to their best ability because thats what its all about, the story the framing the lighting the end product.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:48 AM   #280
Inner Circle

Quote:
Moire problems seem to be just the one guy so i think thats not major at the moment
The moire problem is because of the very high frame rate, I don't know the technical reasons behind it but every camera that I have seen with a HFR capability looses on image quality once the frames/sec goes up and that also goes together with other artifacts. Just look at the Sony rx10II high framerates and see how bad the image starts to deteriorate when moving up to 960fps

I don't even see a reason to complain about this feature actually because it's just another great feature added that you can take advantage from, from what I have seen up to 120fps looks very good and if you shoot at higher frame rates just watch out for very fine detail like bricks and walls in the background.

Quote:
This was a good test also and a fair one,
Not exactly, that's why I pointed you to the best one yet that was made later because other users where getting better results, at the end of that second test both Max and Jospeh admitted that they met eachother halfway so meaning that Max got better results but still not on par with what Sony and Canon are offering. The panasonic is not a set it and forget it camera, personally I feel they have made it too complicated but when set up right you can get usable results, even Casey Neystat has been spotted shooting himself with the gh5 in a few of his episodes (and probably paid by Panasonic to do so) and those ones looked ok to me but latest I heard the a7rII and a6500 have become his main camera's while he was using canon 70d and 80d before.

One feature not many talk about and which I love is the 3 preset focus points you can make, so you can prefocus on 3 different objects and save those settings and then switch between those points by tapping a corresponding number on screen, in that way you can nail focus transitions time after time, you can even let the camera refocus on another object outside the frame while panning and have it in focus when you have it in frame and all of that with a super smooth transition at a speed you can select. I plan on using this during the weddings I shoot for some of the more creative parts.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 03:54 AM   #281
Trustee

Quote:

One feature not many talk about and which I love is the 3 preset focus points you can make, so you can prefocus on 3 different objects and save those settings and then switch between those points by tapping a corresponding number on screen, in that way you can nail focus transitions time after time, you can even let the camera refocus on another object outside the frame while panning and have it in focus when you have it in frame and all of that with a super smooth transition at a speed you can select. I plan on using this during the weddings I shoot for some of the more creative parts.
I really need to look into this and see how to set this up. Being a bloke and British, I have naturally not looked at the manual once, despite owning the camera for almost a month.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:02 AM   #282
Inner Circle

Just remember you can't zoom the lenses while they are set or you will loose the positions. The lenses are not parfocal. Get the advanced manual off the internet as it is more comprehensive than the paper one that came with the camera.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:16 AM   #283
Inner Circle

Do you have a link to that manual?
Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:44 AM   #284
Inner Circle

The link is on page 124 of the paper manual that comes with the camera. Digital Camera LUMIX?User Support | Panasonic Mine is a PP designation yours in Europe may be different.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM   #285
Inner Circle

Thanks, the manual that came with my camera only has numbered pages up to 123 and I don't see any link in there, also not sure what pp means because my manual says it's for DV-GH5L or DC GH5M and none of those is in that dropdown list, I just took "pp" which was standard.

edit: found the model number in camera, it was under "online manual", "url display" and there it said dc-gh5 eg

Last edited by Noa Put; April 22nd, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series