New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:21 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
One thing we do need to check up for this camera: can it actually record the promised PCM audio rates to file or is it recording to AAC? The XLR adapter touts 96khz/24bit, but can that actually be recorded to file?
The pdf presentation ( page 39 ) says LPCM recording to MOV only when XLR1 is attached, so no MP4 or AVCHD is my understanding from that. Audio will record to MOV and MP4 except at 100Mbps which is then AAC ( page 25 ). Looks like AVCHD does not have a LPCM option only Dolby AC3 or AAC.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:34 AM   #107
Inner Circle

There must be a limitation on 96khz/24bit within the MOV only limitation... Might be troublesome for some NLEs like Magix Vegas which probably won't know what to do with a GH5 MOV until the software is patched.

I'm willing to bet you can't do 10bit 4:2:2 internal and 96khz/24bit PCM at the same time.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:28 AM   #108
Inner Circle

Quote:
There must be a limitation on 96khz/24bit within the MOV only limitation... Might be troublesome for some NLEs like Magix Vegas which probably won't know what to do with a GH5 MOV until the software is patched.

I'm willing to bet you can't do 10bit 4:2:2 internal and 96khz/24bit PCM at the same time.
Table on page 25 shows High Resolution audio being available MOV only for 10 bit 4:2:2 . Remember 10 bit 4:2:2 UHD 60P is not available for internal recording and is only on the HDMI output to something like a Shogun Inferno. All UHD 60P internal recording is 8 bit 4:2:0. However 30P UHD is available for internal recording at 10 bit 4:2:2 in MOV with High Resolution audio with the second announced firmware update in the summer you then have a choice of 150Mbps Long GOP or 400Mbps all Intra. Also MP4 is always AAC. AVCHD is always Dolby AC3.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:43 AM   #109
Inner Circle

Ah, so you can't use 96khz/24bit over HDMI for 10bit 4:2:2 60p. In the very least they should allow 48khz/24bit for that mode.

In fact, I think the HDMI should in the very least do 2ch 48khz/24bit.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:58 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ah, so you can't use 96khz/24bit over HDMI for 10bit 4:2:2 60p. In the very least they should allow 48khz/24bit for that mode.

In fact, I think the HDMI should in the very least do 2ch 48khz/24bit.
NO. You cannot do UHD 60P 10 bit 4:2:2 internally at all it is always 8 bit 4:2:0 internally. UHD 60P only available on HDMI in 10 bit 4:2:2 and then only if you do not record internally. Both these option do include the high resolution audio. You can have HD 1920 x 1080 60P 10bit 4:2:2 with high resolution audio internal after the summer firmware update. Either 100Mbps LongGOP or 200 Mbps All Intra. You should download the 86 page pdf as it has all the information. Embargo was lifted on 4 Jan. I think I got it from a thread on DVXuser forum.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:39 PM   #111
Inner Circle

Yeah, that's what I meant, 96khz/24bit over HDMI in the HDMI only mode for the camera.

Now it's all up to the Shogun Inferno to support that over it's HDMI input. No SSD recorder on the market currently supports 96khz/24bit over HDMI.

Edit: Just saw the PDF. It says (GH5 MOV only) for the 96khz/24bit mode on the XLR1. No indication whether that can be passed using HDMI in the HDMI only mode.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; January 23rd, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:34 PM   #112
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant, 96khz/24bit over HDMI in the HDMI only mode for the camera.

Now it's all up to the Shogun Inferno to support that over it's HDMI input. No SSD recorder on the market currently supports 96khz/24bit over HDMI.

Edit: Just saw the PDF. It says (GH5 MOV only) for the 96khz/24bit mode on the XLR1. No indication whether that can be passed using HDMI in the HDMI only mode.
LPCM is only MOV. The HDMI output appears only to have a restriction at UHD 60P 10bit 4:2:2 with no internal recording. Also the Inferno over HDMI can record 8 channels 48Khz at 24bit so I am sure it can manage 2 at 96khz 24bit. I cannot see a spec on this though. Will have to find more info on that as that is likely the setup I will get.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 02:26 PM   #113
Trustee

will be waiting for the new canon 6dii, love canons colours and the auto focus better than Panasonic especially the dual auto focus. nothing can beat the 70d/80d, so full frame with 4k coming will be sound, just saying thats my preference.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #114
Trustee

I pre ordered a GH5 so when this turns up I'll let ya know about audio.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:05 PM   #115
Major Player

With the exception of orchestral type classical music where more than one pieces of musical instruments are played for the recording I think 48 KHz, 16-bit LPCM would be fine. From my experience, the type of microphone, the placement, the quality of the preamp (either on board the camera or external) and not least the skill of the soundman in the more difficult shooting conditions, make so much more difference in sound than other factors. In most cases you can tell the differences in terms of audio characteristics/quality from those recording hardware by listening to carefully encoded MP3 files or AAC files (such as on YouTube) using adequate monitoring devices such as a good pair of headphones or carefully set up sound monitoring system with various speakers for anything more elaborate than a single mono or stereo tracks.

Just hope that optional XLR adapter comes with an adequate built in preamp that does at least on par with those built into their pro-level XLR camcorders.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #116
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
will be waiting for the new canon 6dii, love canons colours and the auto focus better than Panasonic especially the dual auto focus. nothing can beat the 70d/80d, so full frame with 4k coming will be sound, just saying thats my preference.
Thanks for that insight. However what makes you think the 6D mark ii will have full frame 4K when even the 5D Mark IV doesn't have this. Instead making a pigs breakfast out of its 4K implementation. Colours and auto focus are indeed Canons strength, which is alas the only good thing you can say about their video features in their DSLRS.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #117
Inner Circle

+ you can be sure Canon will cripple the camera in other video related area's to protect higher end models, like give it just enough moire, make the image softer or leave out functionality that is critical for video use. For video they have made clear that you need to get into their c-line of camera's to get everything you need.
Not only Canon does this, Panasonic also cripples anything below the GH5 just enough to make you want their flagship, like unusable audio on the gx85, no headphone in to monitor your sound on the g80 or make button integration or placement just awkward enough so it can become it bit frustrating.
But that doesn't mean you can't do great things with these camera's, you just need to work around their limitations and get the best out of their strengths. For the canon that will be autofocus and color and for panasonic ibis and the small formfactor.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #118
Major Player

I also like Canon's video image but to be realistic the best you can hope for on the next 6DII or whatever is maybe a flipout screen which is a defining feature of most Canon's lower end DSLRs to facilitate video shooting. Other than that it can't do better than the 5DIV that traditionally has always sat one level up above the 6Dx in price and performance.

Panasonic has a simpler job with the GH5. They can go full tilt with it within the limitation of sensor size and form factor because there is no longer anything like the dead AF100 class of cameras to protect. Other things they are offering in 4K are geared towards different, and mostly higher end types of video shooters.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #119
Trustee

The new 6dii is heavily reported to be having 4k but if it comes great if not i will still get it, flip out screen, dual auto focus, touch screen. full frame, that will do me just fine.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #120
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
The new 6dii is heavily reported to be having 4k but if it comes great if not i will still get it, flip out screen, dual auto focus, touch screen. full frame, that will do me just fine.
I think heavily rumoured rather than reported; where previously the rumour was that it was not getting 4K, subsequent and more recent rumours have suggested it may well be getting it in some capacity. This could mean at best heavily cropped as per the 5D mark iv and not using the fullframe sensor. It could also theoretically mean a time restriction such as seen in the Fujifilm X-T2 where it has a 10 min limit. Just speculation mind.

Of course, not saying the new 6D Mark II won't meet your needs. Just that my own list 10 bit 4:2:2 recording, 4K at 50p, 5 axis stabilisation for smooth hand held shooting, Log Profiles, focus peaking, highlights monitoring, dual card slot, and non cropped 4K so that I get the full field of view from my best lenses.

Yep whilst pretty demanding of me, the above will definitely do me just fine. :)

Last edited by Steve Burkett; January 24th, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series