New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 15th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #91
Trustee

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Thanks Noa, Iv'e been looking at that and seems the one. How about something longer? the 35-100 f2.8 is that worth it. I'm so lost with these lenses and the Micro Four Thirds.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #92
Inner Circle

Re: Vlog L

Hate to break it to ya, but another "4K HDR" YouTube channel just stole some of your videos and are reposting them with monetization enabled.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #93
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Thanks Noa, Iv'e been looking at that and seems the one. How about something longer? the 35-100 f2.8 is that worth it. I'm so lost with these lenses and the Micro Four Thirds.
I don' have the 35-100 so can't speak for that lens, some other lenses worth mentioning that I use at weddings:
Panasonic 42,5mm f1.7: stabilized, very small, light and inexpensive, does feel a bit plasticy and cheap but has the best price/performance you can find for a prime lens. The Panasonic Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 is also stabilized, better build and of higher quality but a lot more expensive.
Olympus 75mm f1.8: one of the best lenses in the Olympus line up, "expensive" but a very high quality piece of glass, build like tank.
Olympus 12mm f2.0: Looks like a toy lens because it's so small and light but is one of my best wide lenses, it has blazing fast autofocus when you press the shutterbutton, even when it's dark, stays on the steadicam all day long, it's rare I miss focus with this lens.
Olympus 40-150 f2.8: Again one of Olympus high quality lenses, very solid buildquality, excellent glass and a 80 to 300mm f2.8 full frame equivalent reach which is unheard of for that price, only annoying part about Olympus zoom lenses is that the zoomring turns the other way, manually focusing is a bit tricky as the ring requires a very gentle touch for finetuning your focus. The panasonic 35-100 f2.8 is smaller and lighter but does not have the same reach.
Olympus 9-18mm f4.0-5.6: not very useful in dark venues but for the occasional very wide shot it's a very good performer and again very small and light.

Another lens that is on my wishlist:
Panasonic 7-14mm f4 or the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8, the Olympus is the better lens and has better build quality, is more expensive and the focus rings turns the wrong way which can be annoying but both lenses have a very good performance, none of them will disappoint.

Other that that, about any lens in existence will fit a Panasonic camera, just get the right adapter for it. Also something to think about, if you buy a M4/3 lens you get stuck into that system, those lenses will not fit any other camera that doesn't have a m4/3 mount.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:08 AM   #94
Trustee

Thanks Noa, fantastic info right there and I appreciate the time and effort for this.

When I sold my 5D I was about to grab a GH4 and that never happened due to the A7s, so I purchased an A7s and lenses, two lenses and been really enjoying this. I have the first A7s so no internal 4K and extra frame rates, It's funny and sad to say this, the A7s I have is now almost old news now, it works great etc... although some clients want the A7s M2. Don't start me on that one....

Anyway, I'm gonna give the GH5 a go, get a basic kit and see how it goes.

Thanks again mate.

Oh, just want yo say that I''m keeping my Sony A7s kit, it works and looks great and don't really want to part with this setup yet.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #95
Inner Circle

Hi Simon,

I have been using the Olympus OM-D 1 MK i for a couple years now for my stills. Excellent setup and I do not miss my 5DMK2 or IDX.

The lens collection I have is all Olympus.

7-14, 2.8 Pro; Very nice sharp glass. Little more distortion then I would like, so I do not use that much.

12-40, 2.8 Pro; My go to lens and stays on the camera all the time. Sharp and just right for most shots.

75, 1.8 ED, MSC; fast,sharp, and great for street photography and portraits.

40-150, 2.8 Pro; excellent lens, sharp, very well built as are all of their pro lens. This is a go to when I need any reach. Also have the 1.4 x extender which slows it down but stays pretty sharp.

300, 4.0 Pro, I was thinking of getting this but If I switched to GH5 I would go Panasonic glass to match the OS, unless Olympus OS works in the GH5.

This is a nice set but not sure if they are right for the GH5. As with Olympus OMD-1 MKII the GH5 has 5 axis stabilization and matches it with their new glass. I would think since you are starting out buy the Panasonic glass with the OS in the lens that connects with the GH5, 5 axis stabilization. I do not know if the GH5 will connect with the Olympus OS glass as said above, but that is a big question. I will not believe marketing on this only end users testing. But, I have to say the Olympus lens I own easily match the Canon L glass I use to own in quality.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #96
Trustee

Thanks Paul, more great advice, really dig that mate, cheers.

My very first camera was a Panasonic and I still have this, I have to let it go as the thing is low res 4x3 but man, I loved those colours outa that thing and that is what has brought me back I think.

Anyway, I'm gonna have one foot in Sony and one in Panasonic for a while as sus it out, things move to fast to invest in a final system these days, well for me anyway, I change every few years. One thing I have learnt to hold onto are, lenses.... keep them, they come in handy when you change you mind and go with a new system.

Cheers, Simon
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #97
Inner Circle

Sounds like a good plan Simon,

Keep posting what you find with the GH5. Also in the mind of three cameras two Sony one Panasonic all the time plus my POV's, and stills. Look forward to keeping my gear smaller. Not like the PMW500, F800 days.
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #98
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I do not know if the GH5 will connect with the Olympus OS glass as said above, but that is a big question. I will not believe marketing on this only end users testing. But, I have to say the Olympus lens I own easily match the Canon L glass I use to own in quality.
I don't expect that the gh5 will be any different from my gx80 or the g80, the sensor stabilization will stabilize any lens you put on it, from what I understand only a few panasonic lenses are currently compatible with panasonics improved dual ibis 2 but that will certainly change with firmware updates, Olympus lenses will not benefit from that but my experience with my Olympus lenses is that the sensor stabilization alone looks like it performs just as well a dual ibis, I can handhold a 75mm (150mm full frame equivalent) very steady.
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #99
Inner Circle

Noa,

As for Olympus OS lens working on the GH5, we do not know until it is tried. That was my point, I was not going to guess, it has to be tried.

My OMD-1 MKI 5 axis stabilization is excellent. I hand hold the 40-150mm lens at 150 with the 1.4x on all the time with very sharp pictures. And having tried the 300 OS Olympus lens it is a huge step up, much better then just the sensor 5 axis.

I think the 5 axis stabilization is the next step is making hand held shots work. I have owned gimbals, but do not like them and do not use them anymore. Hoping the GH5 and other cameras will keep pushing the technology of 5 axis options.

Fun to follow this camera, and see who takes it one more step.
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #100
Inner Circle

ah ok, you mean a stabilized olympus lens, I was not even aware Olympus had stabilized lenses. The info I have read so far is that currently it only works well with a selection of panasonic stabilized lenses
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #101
Inner Circle

No worry, Olympus came out with this 300mm lens and will be adding more to match their OMD-EM1 MKII.

Amazing piece of glass.

M.Zuiko ED 300mm f4.0 IS PRO | Olympus
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #102
Trustee

I'll come back when the GH5 turns up here in Australia. I'm seeing almost 3k for the GH5 in Australia, man we get hit here.

Keeping in small these days is a must now Paul, my back is stuffed after using shoulder mounts for the last 15yrs.
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #103
Inner Circle

Cool, look forward to your input.
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #104
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
I'll come back when the GH5 turns up here in Australia. I'm seeing almost 3k for the GH5 in Australia, man we get hit here.
$3600 tax in with the XLR adapter here in Canada, but i'll most likely get one, after the 400Mbs update :)
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:05 AM   #105
Inner Circle

One thing we do need to check up for this camera: can it actually record the promised PCM audio rates to file or is it recording to AAC? The XLR adapter touts 96khz/24bit, but can that actually be recorded to file?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series