First Impressions of the GH5 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 7th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

Hopefully I will have my GH5 next week and can check myself a few things. Auto focus and the issue of audio being delayed at the start of record. In view of the several autofocus example above I think Max either has a bad unit or continues to set it up incorrectly . None of these videos just use the standard auto focus either, always the customs settings.
I believe PhotoJoseph was also recording internally as he gave instructions on HDMI output settings so that he could record 60P internally and 30P externally as his recorder could not record UHD60P. So yes he was recording internally as well as externally.

EDIT: Just read that he did only record externally and I must have mistaken his HDMI settiing incorrectly. We will see what else emerges. Still I will check myself next week !!!

Last edited by Ron Evans; April 7th, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Having read the manual several times now waiting for my GH5 to turn up there are so many parameters that can be set that I am beginning to think Panasonic should have provided presets in the movie mode that completely control all settings. Also provided a lot more explaining how to set up.

This will be my first Panasonic bought for UHD60P only. I normally shoot 3 or 4 camera multicam all with Sony video cameras and they are all in manual focus !! However 3 of them will be set with touch focus as needed and that is how I will use the GH5 too. So for me hunting is not an issue as the GH5 will be in manual focus but getting it to lock on touch focus will be. We will see hopefully next week.
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #63
Trustee

It just amazes me that people will ignore all the evidence of good GH5 CAF and focus solely on Max's test. I posted 4 examples of good GH5 CAF, 2 of which mirror what he did and it couldn't be more obvious my results were 180 from his. I also did a candid mall video, shown below, because I've shot in this same mall with my A6300 and it often failed, focusing on the background and ignoring the subject or simply not holding the subject when it did focus. Although there was a bit of hunt in a couple of clips, there was nothing like the outright failures I have gotten with my A6300.

For those that have any interest in objectivity, all I used in the 4 videos I've posted, was central area focusing with all other AF settings at default. I never bothered with speed or responsiveness. I think some are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

But hey, people will believe what they want to believe. It's fascinating to see.

Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I believe PhotoJoseph was also recording internally as he gave instructions on HDMI output settings so that he could record 60P internally and 30P externally as his recorder could not record UHD60P. So yes he was recording internally as well as externally.
To be honest, I watched PhotoJoseph's video and the autofocus is plain unusable, there is a constant hunting going back and forth or missing focus. I might have used it if it was good and only in situations where I can reshoot but how it looks no, no thanks, not for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

But hey, people will believe what they want to believe. It's fascinating to see.
I just checked the first shots of the film you posted and all I see is a pulsating focus, just check the background and that might be ok for you but would be unacceptable to me.
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #66
Trustee

Noa, I used CAF. If I had done that with the A6300 I would have gotten similar results or, more likely, the A6300 would have ignored the subject and focused on the sign as has often happened to me. With that said, most people would focus on the subject and not the background. The subject was fine.

However in reality, most of us don't use CAF with any camera of this ilk. In a shot like that, if I was doing it 'for real', I would have used lock on AF and would have entirely eliminated the hunt. Totally. If not using MF, that's how I would have shot that scene. But that wasn't my intent for this or any of these tests.

My point in the video was a) to show how much better the results were than Max (no comparison, his were a total blurry mess) and b) to see what the worst case scenario was using CAF.
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #67
Inner Circle

I"ll have to see it myself once I get my gh5, but it's not a feature I am looking forward to unless it proves to be spot on with tracking a subject that walks towards me, that's the only reason I would use it, if it is any good.
Old April 7th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #68
Trustee

Do you often shoot someone walking towards you?
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #69
Trustee

Quote:
Do you often shoot someone walking towards you?
Only if they're threatening me. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Yes, at every wedding that I shoot, the most critical moment is when the bride and others walk towards the altar where I am standing.
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Just picked up my GH5 this afternoon so have only just had a quick look at it. Heavier than I though as this is the first time for me moving from video camcorders. It is about the same weight as my FDR-AX53 I think. Did a quick auto focus check. With Custom AF " OFF " continuous ON , the focus moves a little slower than the AX53 but gets there and changes just fine from real closeup to about 15 feet away in about the same time as the AX53. Playing with the custom settings I can get all the same issues that have been reported !!!

Over the weekend I will shoot some comparitive video against the FDR-AX1 in UHD 60P , the only reason I got this camera. Will test auto focus of both too as I know the Sony is not good as it tends to decide what it want in focus !!!
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #72
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Just picked up my GH5 this afternoon so have only just had a quick look at it. Heavier than I though as this is the first time for me moving from video camcorders. It is about the same weight as my FDR-AX53 I think. Did a quick auto focus check. With Custom AF " OFF " continuous ON , the focus moves a little slower than the AX53 but gets there and changes just fine from real closeup to about 15 feet away in about the same time as the AX53. Playing with the custom settings I can get all the same issues that have been reported !!!

Over the weekend I will shoot some comparitive video against the FDR-AX1 in UHD 60P , the only reason I got this camera. Will test auto focus of both too as I know the Sony is not good as it tends to decide what it want in focus !!!
Ron, I think the more you stay away from the custom speed & sensitivity the better. I'm getting the best overall results by just using the central area focus. If your subject isn't in motion, lock on AF is best.
Old April 7th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #73
Trustee

I'm far from an expert, but one thing I noticed about that video is the deep depth of field, likely the result of a small aperture, Combine that with lots of people moving within the focus area and it's no wonder there's hunting going on. These are shots that IMO call for manual focusing.
Old April 7th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ron, I think the more you stay away from the custom speed & sensitivity the better. I'm getting the best overall results by just using the central area focus. If your subject isn't in motion, lock on AF is best.
Yes, in my application I will actually always be in manual focus anyway. Though would always like to set with touch focus. I haven't yet played with all the focus controls but agree that with Custom off it behaves much like any camcorder I have, just a little slower than some of the Sony's but able to direct the focus point rather than have the camcorder decide what it wants to focus on !!! I like the peakiing that I am used to as well as zebra. As mentioned by at least one other on the DVX forum I would like to see all the parameters while it is in record. Something most camcorders do even if some parameters are in auto and others in manual.

Lots to play with and will take some time to full understand.
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #75
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I'm far from an expert, but one thing I noticed about that video is the deep depth of field, likely the result of a small aperture, Combine that with lots of people moving within the focus area and it's no wonder there's hunting going on. These are shots that IMO call for manual focusing.
Paul, if I had been shooting that video for real, instead of testing the limits of CAF, I could have easily have chosen either MF or AF lock. Both would have done the job nicely, without a hint of hunting.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series