First Impressions of the GH5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 17th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

10 bit 4K doesn't suck .....

Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
10 bit 4K doesn't suck .....
If it would have been 8bit 4K the end result might have been just the same, we only know for sure if this was shot with 2 camera's side by side, one in 8bit and the other in 10bit and then to show of the difference. I"m not saying 10bit doesn't make a difference, for particular applications it does but I would like to see real world examples, like the video that was showcased, and then make a side by side comparison to see if all that excitement about 10bit 4K is warranted.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #18
Inner Circle

My interest in UHD 10 bit 4:2:2 is that I feel the image will be better when cropped in to get a 1920x1080 output which is really my sole interest in UHD. For the full image taken to DVD or Bluray I doubt whether one could see much difference on an 8bit TV as there is already a big change in resolution and colour depth. Will find out myself in April ( I hope )
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #19
Trustee

10 bit 4:2:2 in my mind is for heavy grading. Ideal obviously for when shooting in the log profile. For footage where you're not planning to grade or grade very little, then it seems a lot of space on a memory card for little gain. I'm working on a project right now for a Broadcast Company where I would love to have been able to shoot the whole thing on 10 bit 4:2:2 just to give me that extra flexibility. I had to shoot some stuff today on vLog, though am keeping my fingers crossed it'll grade well in post. It's annoying when you have an ideal camera in mind for a shoot and it's not out yet.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I thought someone at a trade show reported that they didn't noticed much of a difference in image quality. I have a feeling this will be a case of the stats looking more impressive than non log workflow with minimal editing.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #21
Trustee

For most people they won't see a difference from 8bit to 10bit and 4:2:0 to 4:2:2, however if your shooting for broadcast (TV) 4:2:2 is a minimum and this is where I'm excited and waited a long time for a small camera that has both 10bit 4:2:2. Now I can travel with a small backpack anywhere, shoot like I'm a photographer and have the bit rates in a compact rig, love it.

I have the A7s, great little camera, lacks in internal 4:2:2 for me and has become redundant in a Broadcast World unless I strap a recorder to it, which is a massive hassle for me.

Looking forward to the GH5.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:17 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Is there any NEW official news from Panasonic when the camera will be available in stores, especially in Europe? At one time it was 15 March, then 20 March....
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #23
Trustee

I've seen a lot of conflicting dates. The only thing that seems for sure and I take that even with a pinch of salt, is end of March. I'd really like to have this camera for the 12th April, as I have a very big Wedding to film and I'd want to make good use of 4K at 50p. It would be nice to have it by the time I go to Ireland for a Wedding on the 25th, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old March 10th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #24
Inner Circle

If you have to wait as long as I had to wait for my pre-ordered g80 then you"ll be lucky to start shooting in 4 months.
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #25
Trustee

I got my G80 early October, soon after release. So I'm optimistic about the GH5. Fingers crossed. :)
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #26
Trustee

Well to my utter surprise, I got mine delivered literally an hour before I was heading off to a Wedding yesterday in Essex. Mind it was a close call. I got the call Thursday at 7pm to take payment. Asked for an AM next day service and then the delivery van broke down Friday first thing, so was advised of some delay. A frantic call to the delivery firm and they were kind to make me first visit of the day once they were running.

If I made one of those awful unboxing videos, it would have lasted 30 seconds. Long enough to confirm all was there before it was packed with my gear. Started using it as soon as I arrived for the Wedding. Couldn't wait. :)

First impressions. Love having auto ISO with manual (finally), love 4K at 50p which I used for the Brides entrance, confetti, reception entrance and first dance. Definitely smoother auto focusing when in 50p. Much heavier to hold. Menus took some time to get use to. Literally finding my preferred settings on the fly, though my experiences with the GH4 and GX80 helped there.
The new custom menu is great, laying down my most used menu items in 1 place. Battery drains faster than the GH4, but that's to be expected.

And no crop. Much improved on the GH4. I'm now travelling to Ireland for another Wedding today and then will spend a few days visiting, so hope to become more familiar with it and have a tonne of footage by the time I return. However yesterday was a great start. Bit more a baptism by fire than I had with the GH4, but it held up well.
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Got mine too, feels great to hold it for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
First Impressions of the GH5-gh5.jpg  
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #28
Trustee

You guys are very lucky, still waiting here in Sydney.... gota be soon for me.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I got mine weeks ago, I must be blessed. I think I got a special version they send out to all Panasonic believers.
Old March 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Major Player

"no crop" ? Surely the standard MFT 2x crop? Maybe no 4K 2.3X crop?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series