DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH4 Remote app (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533490-gh4-remote-app.html)

Pete Cofrancesco January 27th, 2017 01:09 PM

GH4 Remote app

I occasionally revisit the viability of controlling and monitoring the exposure of a camera in theatrical performance from 15-30' away.

Anyone use it in such a way? I've googled and read varying opinions from years ago. Some say it doesn't work good at a distance, you can get intermittent connection if you're in an area with many other similar phones, and at worst the app can cause recording errors or the camera to lock up. Any of these last two would be disastrous during filming a live event.

How reliable/stable ? Ease of use? The usefulness of exposure monitoring?

Kent Jakusz January 30th, 2017 09:13 AM

Re: GH4 Remote app

I have considerable experience with the remote app for the GH4. It works great but the further, 15' or more, you get the less reliable it is. Sorry but the range is very limited.

All the Best

Pete Cofrancesco January 30th, 2017 10:45 AM

I assume if you brought a Wi-Fi router range wouldn't be an issue? My understanding it connects directly or over a Wi-Fi network.

Roger Gunkel January 30th, 2017 10:55 AM

I haven't got the G4, but I'm pretty sure it works the same as the FZ1000, which generates it's own wifi signal which you then log into with your phone, pad or what have you. So the range is limited in the same way as with a GoPro etc.

Roger

Chris Harding January 31st, 2017 07:13 AM

The Panny cameras generate their own wifi signal so you cannot connect to any sort of hotspot or router sadly ..Yeah a couple of metres is all you will get ...sorta ideal to use if you are a birdwatcher in a hide but I doubt whether one could strut around in a theatre expertly controlling cameras. Pity cos my 4G wifi hotspot can easily make 50' or more in full power mode ..we often have a cam and encoder on the beach and the wifi unit on a pole way up in the air 50' away and it works like a dream.

Pete Cofrancesco January 31st, 2017 08:24 AM

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I have Panny UX90 and assumed it would work the same way. The UX90 can be controlled either peer to peer or over WiFi network unfortunately you can't monitor what the camera is shooting.

Ed Kukla February 9th, 2017 06:00 AM

I have a GH3 and it connects directly to my Ipad Air...BUT when I pan, there is a LOT of lag making monitoring extremely difficult. I am trying to use the camera on the end of a pole for a few elevated shots with the tablet as monitor/control but it is very difficult to use well.

I also found that if I am near a powerful wifi transmitter, that causes my tablet to loose connection to the camera.

Pete Cofrancesco February 9th, 2017 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info. That's why I asked I'd rather find this out now rather learning this while covering an event.