GH4 Remote app at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Inner Circle

GH4 Remote app

I occasionally revisit the viability of controlling and monitoring the exposure of a camera in theatrical performance from 15-30' away.

Anyone use it in such a way? I've googled and read varying opinions from years ago. Some say it doesn't work good at a distance, you can get intermittent connection if you're in an area with many other similar phones, and at worst the app can cause recording errors or the camera to lock up. Any of these last two would be disastrous during filming a live event.

How reliable/stable ? Ease of use? The usefulness of exposure monitoring?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH4 Remote app

I have considerable experience with the remote app for the GH4. It works great but the further, 15' or more, you get the less reliable it is. Sorry but the range is very limited.

All the Best
Kent Jakusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I assume if you brought a Wi-Fi router range wouldn't be an issue? My understanding it connects directly or over a Wi-Fi network.
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't got the G4, but I'm pretty sure it works the same as the FZ1000, which generates it's own wifi signal which you then log into with your phone, pad or what have you. So the range is limited in the same way as with a GoPro etc.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Panny cameras generate their own wifi signal so you cannot connect to any sort of hotspot or router sadly ..Yeah a couple of metres is all you will get ...sorta ideal to use if you are a birdwatcher in a hide but I doubt whether one could strut around in a theatre expertly controlling cameras. Pity cos my 4G wifi hotspot can easily make 50' or more in full power mode ..we often have a cam and encoder on the beach and the wifi unit on a pole way up in the air 50' away and it works like a dream.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I have Panny UX90 and assumed it would work the same way. The UX90 can be controlled either peer to peer or over WiFi network unfortunately you can't monitor what the camera is shooting.
Old February 9th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #7
Major Player

I have a GH3 and it connects directly to my Ipad Air...BUT when I pan, there is a LOT of lag making monitoring extremely difficult. I am trying to use the camera on the end of a pole for a few elevated shots with the tablet as monitor/control but it is very difficult to use well.

I also found that if I am near a powerful wifi transmitter, that causes my tablet to loose connection to the camera.

Last edited by Ed Kukla; February 9th, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info. That's why I asked I'd rather find this out now rather learning this while covering an event.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series