DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   (little brother) to go with my GH5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533978-little-brother-go-my-gh5.html)

Simon Denny April 24th, 2017 04:32 PM

(little brother) to go with my GH5?

I need a second camera (little brother) to go with my GH5. I have been using Sony cameras for years so I know their range very well and with the Lumix range I'm lost, however gaining knowledge every day.

I'm in Tokyo for a few more days so thought I should have a look at a second camera, don't need anything to expensive like the GH5 so was thinking of the G7 or G8. I like taking street photography and this second camera also needs to shoot decent HD video or 4K.

Does anyone have info on these two cameras, G7 or G8 or is there something else I'm missing in the Lumix range.

Cheers, S

Noa Put April 24th, 2017 04:37 PM

Re: (little brother) to go with my GH5?

If you don't need a audio input in the camera to plugin in a microphone and if you are ok with mediocre incamera audio the gx80/85 is an excellent camera.

Simon Denny April 24th, 2017 04:45 PM

Thanks Noa, audio I forgot about that, yes I need an audio input.

Noa Put April 24th, 2017 05:05 PM

Then the g80/85 is next in line :) unless you want to be able to monitor your audio trough headphones.

Simon Denny April 24th, 2017 05:12 PM

Yeah, that's what 'm looking at now, Noa are the g80/85 batteries the same as the GH5?

Chris Harding April 25th, 2017 02:37 AM

Hi Simon

Do you need interchangeable lenses? I'm using the FZ2500 for all my video now ..Awesome zoom features, ND filters, Leica 25-480 zoom and audio input and it has a headphone jack too! It will do from MP4 at 5mbps right thru to 4K cinema (and UHD of course) up to 200mbps and Variable Frame Rate from 2fps to 120fps

They are worth a look at the price here!!!

Noa Put April 25th, 2017 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1931156)
Yeah, that's what 'm looking at now, Noa are the g80/85 batteries the same as the GH5?

No, they are smaller in size.

Simon Denny April 25th, 2017 06:07 AM

Thanks Chris, Noa for the advice,

Had a good look today in store at some Lumix cameras in Tokyo, was about to pull the trigger on a Lumix gx8 then thought about if the camera was a Japanese version or English version, wasn't sure so put the credit card away.

Steve Burkett April 25th, 2017 06:50 AM

I'd 2nd the choice of the G80 - it was called on release the GH4s little Brother by some, but equally applies to the GH5 too. Colours match better with the GH5. Same size sensor and will allow you to swap your lenses on both. The only downside is that they take different batteries and there's a clip limit. It's worth considering the battery grip too.

Simon Denny April 25th, 2017 04:29 PM

Thanks Steve,

I have been looking at the G80 and this looks good also.
Cheers, S

Just want to add, I thought the G8 was a recent Lumix camera and looking at the announced time line of Panasonic cameras it say the G8 was announced in 2015, this is quite old these days.

Simon Denny April 25th, 2017 04:56 PM

Can you guys confirm that the G80 does 4:2:2 internally to SD card please, seems some say it does while others say via HDMI.

Cheers, S

Duncan Craig April 27th, 2017 02:21 PM

I'm really interested in a G80 and while I'm looking at forums, reviews and the PDF manuals I have a few more question if someone here can help please.

Video related questions first...

- Will a LANC controller work in the G80 to start stop recording?

- Does it have all the usual manual controls. So you can set the shutter speed, with a locked down ISO and iris. Or if required, use auto ISO to adjust the brightness, then use exposure compensation while recording if you need it. Does the ISO look smooth as it changes?

- While filming in 25p can the shutter speed be set to 1/60th to help when filming screens and projectors?

- Does the camera mic input provide plug in power to mini jack electret microphones?

- Has anyone considered/managed to buy an Australian or Hong Kong version of the G80. As this would be PAL/NTSC and free of the record time limit?

- The G80 has less crop than the GH4 while filming in 4k? Not much different, but it's a little wider I think. But I've read that the crop changes when you use an HDMI screen or recorder, is that right. How much change is there?

Does this change in cropping happen in 1080p when using HDMI? The 1080p bitrate is very low so I think an external recorder would be very useful when filming in 1080p.

Is there a digital crop-in/zoom function when filming in 1080p?

And lastly a stills related question...

- Can you use a finger to hold the flash up at the celling and create bounced flash like the a6000. The Sony works really well like this and still meters perfectly.

Thanks folks.

Simon Denny April 27th, 2017 06:45 PM

While I was in Tokyo, I couldn't find a G80/g85 in any of the stores. Plenty of G7,G8 and of course GH5.

Bryce Comer April 27th, 2017 07:58 PM

I don't believe the G80/85 shoots 10bit internal.

Bruce Foreman May 1st, 2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1931156)

No, they are the DMW BLC12B, same battery for the G7, GX8, and will also fit any GH2's still around. They are smaller than the GH4/GH5 batteries and probably do provide less run time. I have the G85, US version of the G80 and got it with the offered 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 "kit" lens. Very satisfied with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1931225)
Can you guys confirm that the G80 does 4:2:2 internally to SD card please, seems some say it does while others say via HDMI.

No, it does 4:2:0 to the internal card, but should do 4:2:2 to an external recorder through the HDMI port. However they omitted the anti aliasing filter over the sensor and that gives a slightly sharper image. Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1931352)
While I was in Tokyo, I couldn't find a G80/g85 in any of the stores. Plenty of G7,G8 and of course GH5.

It's sold as the G8 in Japan.