When Oh When A Panasonic 1.4X T.C.? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 30th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #1
Major Player

When Oh When A Panasonic 1.4X T.C.?

I have the " Leica" 100-400mm, a nice little lens, but it needs a 1.4X TC. I've mentioned this on a couple of occasions to Panasonic reps in the UK and they agree that it does.

Anyone out there see or hear any news of a TC? I have the Olympus one for my 40-150 but incompatible (surprise?) with Panasonic lenses.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: When Oh When A Panasonic 1.4X T.C.?

Have you tried the ETC mode? That should give a you considerable extra range.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Major Player

I tend always to shoot 4K, and the ETC for that, on my GH5, is 1.4X which not bad but another 1.4X via a teleconverter would be very useful.

All the 100-400, 80-400 Canon/Nikkors have the option of a TC or two. Easy enough one would think for Panasonic to follow suit.

Ron
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Ronald,
I have thus far held off upgrading to the GH5, for no other reason really other than the fact that i don't have anything pressing that would require it.
I am however, looking to upgrade at some point, & with the recently announced GH5s, i'm wondering if that would be a better option. Certainly, from my point of view, the only reason i would maybe look at the GH5 over the new GH5s, would be for the IBIS. Like you, i do a lot of work with long lenses. The Nikkor 80-400, & Nikon mount Tamron 150-600mm are lenses i use regularly for wildlife. I couldn't hope to hand hold these lenses & get any footage at all, so only use them on a very solid tripod with fluid head.
Knowing you use long lenses on the GH5, can you tell me how it goes with the IBIS? I saw a video of a guy using a GH5 with a Canon 70-200 f2.8 with IS & the results of his tests were that the IBIS was not as good as using the IS on the lens. I realize the Nikon mount lenses have no power for IS but just wondering if the IBIS is able to keep up when using such long focal lengths when it is say windy, or there is a small bump on the tripod or something.
Thanks,
Bryce
Old January 10th, 2018, 05:42 AM   #5
Major Player

I hardly ever shoot handheld Bryce, and when I do it's with the 12-35.

I do use IS on occasion when using a long lens off a tripod. Windy conditions. Either the IS on the lens or in-camera as well which I guess is IBIS. Okay provided limited or no panning.

Quality of the video head as much a factor as IBIS for me. If I cart my "Vinten Vision 6" outfit with me a lot better, but a lot heavier, than my usual and far more portable "Gitzo 2540LLVL/Miller Air" outfit.

I mainly video from inside my old Landrover off a short tripod and a (old) "Sachtler DVS 6B" head.
IS here on occasion eg when the wind rocking the car but I don't notice any difference via in camera or on lens stabilisation.

Ron

ps no GH5S for me, low light generally not an issue and in fact I'd prefer a GH5 with built in ND filters for the kind of stuff I shoot.

Last edited by Ronald Jackson; January 10th, 2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: postscript
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Thank you Ron for the detailed response. So it sounds like OIS on the lens is more effective than the IBIS especially with a good tripod & any panning movements. I love the idea of better low light capabilities in the new GH5s especially since i am using slower glass. I try to film as much as possible around the golden hour so it would be of great benefit i think. I have managed to find somewhere in my searching the internet, that the crop factor of this new sensor is roughly 1.9x so i would be giving up a little "reach" for the extra sensitivity.
While the GH5s might just be a slight improvement over the GH5 for filming, maybe even more of a step sideways, i think it would be a huge step up from my GH4??
I'm not entirely convinced though, & am not committed to buying anything yet.
Thanks,
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series