Panasonic GH5 firmware requests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Panasonic GH5 firmware requests

Ok, I’ve had the GH5 for a few days now and things I would love in a firmware update.

When in movie mode and using either A, or S I would like to see the values of what either one is doing when using the camera in semi auto for these modes. Also when using auto ISO I would also like to see what value this is at when in auto ISO.

Also the above when combined with using AE lock I would like to see the auto values rather than not knowing what values these are at.

Why, well if I use the GH5 in movie mode S and then let the camera ramp the f stop up and down and I don’t really want my f stop to get any higher than f8 on some lenses due to the image becoming soft at higher f stops, like wise I might not want f2.8 I might want f4 etc… I could then make a change by adding a ND filter etc...

Sony implemented this and I loved this feature when using small cameras, it's just easier for me.

Last edited by Simon Denny; May 2nd, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic gh5 tutorials

Absolutely agree. I will use the GH5 unattended controlled by the WiFi app and there are a few more things I would like in addition to knowing what the parameters are whether in manual or auto. I get peaking when in pause but it goes away on the app when in record...Why ? As it is still there on the camera. Like you I want the camera in semi auto but will intervene if I think it is going outside the range I want it to be in. I am used to seeing this on almost all my Sony camcorders and would like the GH5 to operate in the same way. Show the parameter with a little A beside it when in auto for example. Likewise I like a function to stay on when I switch it on ( peaking ) whatever the mode until I switch it off.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:24 PM   #3
Trustee

I wonder how one goes about requesting firmware Ideas to Panasonic, any know? could be worth a shot.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would make a separate thread called "panasonic gh5 firmware requests" and post your requests there, this thread however I would only use to post tutorials, tip and tricks or anything that would help to better understand how the the GH5 works.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I took Noa's advice and have split these posts -- separate topic, separate discussion thread -- and pinned to the top as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Re: Panasonic GH5 firmware requests

Thank you Chris.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Great Idea Noa and thanks Chris.

Cheers, S
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Here is one for Panasonic: give the opportunity to magnify the screen for critical focusing WHILE the camera is recording. Now it only works when the camera is in standby.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:17 PM   #9
Trustee

Another function which should be available I think.

When in auto ISO and in manual A/S in movie mode I would like the camera to tell me where I am in regards to exposure am I under or over exposed.
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Ok, I’ve had the GH5 for a few days now and things I would love in a firmware update.

When in movie mode and using either A, or S I would like to see the values of what either one is doing when using the camera in semi auto for these modes. Also when using auto ISO I would also like to see what value this is at when in auto ISO.

Also the above when combined with using AE lock I would like to see the auto values rather than not knowing what values these are at.

Why, well if I use the GH5 in movie mode S and then let the camera ramp the f stop up and down and I don’t really want my f stop to get any higher than f8 on some lenses due to the image becoming soft at higher f stops, like wise I might not want f2.8 I might want f4 etc… I could then make a change by adding a ND filter etc...

Sony implemented this and I loved this feature when using small cameras, it's just easier for me.
Add another person wanting this feature. Seems bizarre it doesn't show you what the camera is doing with the automatic part.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Another function which should be available I think.

When in auto ISO and in manual A/S in movie mode I would like the camera to tell me where I am in regards to exposure am I under or over exposed.
When you are in auto ISO the camera sets correct exposure as far as it is concerned as it is moving the ISO to get into correct exposure depending on how you have set the exposure area up. I shoot in shutter priority so far, with auto ISO and use AE shift to set exposure based on zebras etc. Just like my Sony's I find it overexposes by about 0.7 to 1.0 to my taste. But I would like to know what value its using !! The value is in the file as I can read it with the transfer application. Like you, I would like to see it displayed on the camera and in the WiFi app too.
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Trustee

Yep that's correct about shooting in S mode and I also under expose using AE shift by a 3rd, however there is still no reference if the shot is over or under exposed other than looking at the scene, oh you could use zebras although I tend not to anymore on these small cameras.
What I have noticed is shooting photo mode using S one can see the auto values, I discovered this late last night and will explore more today and do a comparison against move mode v photo mode shooting a movie.
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #13
Trustee

Ok, If are like me and want to know what's going on when you are in S mode with ISO, and f stop in movie mode you can't in this mode mode. You have to be in photo mode and select S which I like to keep my shutter the same (PAL 50) If you depress the shutter slightly you'll see the f stop and ISO settings however they will disappear in a few seconds. I also use the AE lock engaged (turned on) in the menu and the hit the AF/AE Lock button on the back and this will hold those settings.

Adding one more gotcha ya, when you press the record button all this info disappears, so It's only useful when setting up a scene.

Panasonic, can you please make this possible in video mode please and keep the info in view while recording.

Cheers, Simon

Oh also while your in photo S mode you can also use the AE shift which I use and under expose by a 3rd, this I have carried over from my Sony A7 cameras.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:46 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi

I might be wrong on this, however I thought whatever photo mode we are in, if a video recording is triggered the exposure is always fully automatic, so shutter/aperture will be changing. Just because the shutter is set as 1/100th in photo mode doesn't mean it's set as that when a video is started.

Only when selecting the Video mode option and selecting S from the video menu do we get to fix the shutter speed (or aperture etc).

I think the exposure settings you are seeing on half shutter press when in photo mode are just those applied to the picture if taken.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes Phil, that is my understanding too. So if you want control in video mode you have to be in creative video on the dial. The mode then is set in the menu. When in this mode and shutter priority the WiFi app does show the iris value but not ISO/Gain if set to auto gain. PC transfer application will show what the values were as they are in the file.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series