audio-problem with GH5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 9th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

audio-problem with GH5

a friend has problems with audio from his GH5.
When he transfers the video-files from his memory-card to his PC and NLE (Edius 7.5) he has at the beginning of all audio-files a gap of 0.7 sec ,with no audio

Has anyone a solution for this problem?
Thanks
Old July 9th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: audio-problem with GH5

No, this is alas a standard annoyance of Panasonic cameras. Audio cuts in slightly later than the start of the video. There is however a simple solution to the problem. Start recording 1 second before you need to use the footage.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

My GH5 does the same. About 7 frames from video starting. As Steve says just start recording early !!!
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Trustee

You need to "pre-roll" for several seconds before calling "ACTION", and also let it run for several seconds after calling "CUT" in order to insure editing "room" at the beginning and end of each clip. If you're not working with a crew where you need to "call" the commands, simply start the camera and let it run for 5-10 seconds before trying to follow anything, and let it run over for about the same before stopping the camera.

This pretty much takes care of the 7 frames with no audio problem.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

...or, if you're serious about getting good audio, stop capturing in-camera and use the old-school film method and capture to an external recorder (even a Tascam DR-40 with a decent XLR boom or lav produces amazing audio) and you eliminate this problem forever. Syncing in post is not rocket science nor difficult. When a clapper isn't available have someone snap fingers twice in front of the camera and you can sync to that - quickly.
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your suggestions.

The problem, that all audio files have a gap of x images, at the beginning and end of the clip, is old.

My own Video-Camera Sony HVR-V1E with external recorder HVR-DR- 60 has had this problem from beginning.. My Question to Sony Europe in England has been answered so:
Certain Video Editor-Programms do not show this error, but other do. Sony (Japan) knows no solution.

I've don this:
as advised, start earlier and turn off later.
or
Takes with the V1E HDV camera, are recorded twice, first on a internal HDV- tape, and also on the external recorder. (works like a hard-disk)

When the clips are imported in my Edius 8.xx, the files from the DR-60 (as M2T) have all a 4-10 f/s audio-gap at the beginning or the end.

When I import the same clips from the tape, to Edius, **there are no audio gaps!**

(translated with Google Translator)
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
...or, if you're serious about getting good audio, stop capturing in-camera
The gh5 has a xlr adapter that is made for the camera for those who are more serious about getting good audio, you can plugin a sennheiser avx and get the convenience of recording higher quality audio right into the camera. That the camera misses a few frames of audio at the start of a recording I don't see as an issue though, I never use a shot from the very first frame in the edit, aways cut of a few or more frames from the start of a clip anyway.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

There are issues with the GH5 XLR adapter, just as with the older YAGH GH4 adapter:

1. It's pricey. For less than the cost of an adapter you can get a *dedicated* external recorder, like the Tascam DR-05 or DR-40 and you can use it for MORE than just the GH5. That also gives you a LOT more control over the file type and audio resolution than the adapter allows.

2. It's adds extra bulk to the camera, which would be better suited for adding an external monitor instead.

3. By taking up the top-spot on the hot-shoe it prevents adding other more useful accessories - unless you've caged-up the GH5 body and are properly rigging it for filmmaking.

4. You still have the audio lag issue.

If it were a $50 add-on I'd say sure, that's worthwhile to have a dedicated XLR input. But for the asking price you're far better off and have far more freedom of usage in putting those dollars towards an external recorder.
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I like the XLR attachment for many reasons but for me having attached to the GH5 is an advantage. I use my GH5 on a tripod , unattended and control from the WiFi app on my tablet. Close enough to change levels if I have to but once I have them set I do not touch. I know the audio is in sync with video so not worrying about sync afterwords or clock drift between the two recorders as my shoots are always close to an hour for each clip. All the audio recorders I have ( Zoom H4 and H16 ) go out of sync with any of my video cameras in that time. Audio delay is no issue for me as I start the cameras maybe 1 minute before a need for the edit and also run several minutes after. I have channel 1 attached to my NTG2 and get a line feed from the theatre for channel 2.

The only downside for me of the XLR unit is the inability to have an input on channel 1 that feeds both channels but have one a different level to the other for a safety record level. I can do this with all my Sony camcorders but not this GH5 XLR unit. On the Sony's I can also set channel 1 to auto gain control and channel 2 to manual at a lower level. This is how I would like the unit to work when I have just one mic attached to channel 1. So far that is my only complaint.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Make sure to use 64GB+ cards cause files aren't split every 4GB. If this is a common problem, the solution is to not allow the camera to split a continuous take into segments.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Syncing with an external recorder will give you those extra few frames at the beginning but you will have the issue of clock sync between the camera and the recorder to deal with. Seems like a silly solution rather than start recording early. One solution is to use an external recorder like the Shogun Inferno that will record 3 sec before start trigger for you and has its own XLR interface too.

As to splitting clips, that will only occur with AVCHD what ever the card type you use or FAT 32 card format . Spanned clips across the cards are not a problem as the clips close properly and audio is in sync and full when it goes to the second card. The issue is only at the start of record and for about 7 frames. Not a problem.
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
...or, if you're serious about getting good audio, stop capturing in-camera and use the old-school film method and capture to an external recorder (even a Tascam DR-40 with a decent XLR boom or lav produces amazing audio) and you eliminate this problem forever. Syncing in post is not rocket science nor difficult. When a clapper isn't available have someone snap fingers twice in front of the camera and you can sync to that - quickly.
Tascam DR60mk2 is dirt cheap, and is what I'd recommend as the bare bare minimum for your boom op / recordist to use.

Which Sound Recorder to buy? A guide to various indie priced sound recorders in 2017 – David Peterson

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series