Gh5 firmware 2,0 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old October 1st, 2017, 10:51 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Gh5 firmware 2,0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I have found that the 10bit 150mbp/s CODEC breaks like a cheap wine glass when using VLog in it. When normalizing VLog to rec709 the shadows macro block quickly and blue sky gradients block up pretty nasty. Even motion studders too much.
Sorry but that is just nonsense, the 10 bit V-Log 4:2:2: works fantastic!

Quote:
It has the burden of twice the chroma resolution and arround 40 times more color palette
10 bit versus 8 bit only requires 1 1/4 more data and tests have shown that 10 bit actually compresses more efficiently than 8 bit. 4:2:2 versus 4:2:0 is indeed twice as much color information but with respect to 4:4:4 it is only a difference of 1 1/3.

Quote:
So far, the 400mbps holds strong.
Since the 400Mbs is All-Intra the 150Mbs long GOP should not be too much behind because a long GOP encoding compresses much better with the same quality. It depends a bit on the footage which one will give a better result.

The prime advantage of an All-Intra encoding is that your editing will be snappier because there is less CPU load.

I would suspect that in most cases it will only give a marginally higher quality.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 11:34 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I don't know if it would treat it as Rec.709 or not. I would say that, from what I've read, it seems that the end device needs to support HLG. So if you're just planning on going to YouTube, as long as you keep HLG intact throughout the chain, it should be fine. UHD Blu-ray or other devices using HDR10 or Dolby Vision, not so much.
I read somewhere about a few days ago that there are only four TVs that handle HDR and only two that handle HLG. A SonyTV was one for HDR but not listed as an HLG TV. A month ago I bought the latest 65" high end model ***900 Sony HDR smartTV. Does that mean I cannot correctly see video shot with HLG and video I get from somewhere that is all HLG? Could I shoot HLG on the GH5 camera and later convert HLG to HDR in post production for an HDR master output file? Maybe a plugin for Premier Pro or Resolve? I also just read that this model Sony TV I bought will not upgrade later on through firmware to have Dolby Vision. :-(

Last edited by Alex Anderson; October 2nd, 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:47 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
Could I shoot HLG on the GH5 camera and later convert HLG to HDR in post production for an HDR master output file?
HLG is an HDR format, just its own format. If you want the most compatibility for any HDR standard, you should film in Vlog-L.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:44 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanx Gary. I was wondering what would happen if I tried to view an GLG file on my Sony TV that is not listed for HLG, but it is an HDR TV. Would it play correctly? Would it look correct? I do not have a GH5 yet so I can't try it out.

I have been doing quite a bit of research the last few days on this subject and I am trying to understand 4k HDR and HLG and learn a workflow from shooting thru post to deliver.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:13 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I tried playing 4K HEVC for HLG (the new low-bitrate version included in the update) clips on my 2016 LG OLED HDR TV via the USB stick option and the TV could not play them back. These were clips straight from the GH5. Kinda disappointing. Note that HEVC clips captured on an iPhone in iOS 11 play back fine on the same TV.

So score it Apple: 1 Panasonic: 0
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:51 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Sorry but that is just nonsense, the 10 bit V-Log 4:2:2: works fantastic!
It worked like crap for me too, producing totally unusable footage with intermittent blocky artifacts even before grading. Congratulations on having had a different experience, but you can stop pretending right now that other people haven't had problems. After two days of testing I gave up and simply started shooting 8bit for everything.

In my testing so far, version 2's 10bit ALL-I is free of these problems (as one would expect).
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:12 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Schuldt View Post
It worked like crap for me too, producing totally unusable footage with intermittent blocky artifacts even before grading.
I would like to see this footage, because you also said it messed with the motion, which it wouldn't do at all. So what else could you be mistaken about? Perhaps you underexposed it.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:13 AM   #38
Inner Circle

You do realize that all the EVA1 short films that are out where shot in full Vlog in the same LongGOP codec, right?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:30 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
I... but you can stop pretending right now that other people haven't had problems.
Why don't you Dropbox some straight out of camera footage that demonstrates your claim of "totally unusable footage"?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 12:05 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I would like to see this footage, because you also said it messed with the motion, which it wouldn't do at all. So what else could you be mistaken about? Perhaps you underexposed it.
Heh? Where did I say it "messed with the motion"? You're confused. Also, this stuff was actually borderline overexposed, as it was shot in noon-day sunlight with some areas against a white stucco wall. Happy to put clips up, in fact I'd privately written to offer samples to one of you holy-defender-cowboys who earlier demanded footage but received no response, curiously.

At work right now, will upload samples when I get home tonight.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:27 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Heh? Where did I say it "messed with the motion"? You're confused.
Yes, pardon me, getting confused with the others saying the same things.

Quote:
in fact I'd privately written to offer samples to one of you holy-defender-cowboys who earlier demanded footage but received no response, curiously.
As opposed to FUDers? Again, the three EVA1 shorts were all shot full Vlog in LongGOP. So you could even point to instances where the codec breaks down there.

Right now I'm working with Clog2 footage that is breaking down, which is 400Mbps Intra, so it happens, it's not the panacea.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM   #42
Regular Crew

As promised, a couple of links to 10bit DCI 4K test clips shot back in early April. These are straight from the GH5 (be sure to download them to see, the Google Drive video is highly compressed). Note the blocky artifacts that can be seen particularly on the white stucco wall to the right. I'd seen similar blocky artifacts on an earlier indoor test, but that was in low light so I assumed low light was the problem.

After these tests in broad daylight I concluded that there was some kind of issue with the codec on either the Panasonic or Apple (FCPX is my NLE) side. All my 8bit tests were clean, so I've shot nothing but 8bit since. I believe both of these were shot using the Cinelike D profile:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...TMzX21SRVdtbGc

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B...ew?usp=sharing

Also note: I have not had time to test 10bit 150mbps with firmware version 2. I have no intention of using it, in fact, as my 10bit 400mpbs ALL-I testing has gone well. So the above links are essentially academic, but when others complain of issues with the original 10bit 150mbps, these tests are what make me believe them.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:15 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Thank you for the clips. That isn't codec breakdown, that looks way more like corruption of the information being written to the card. I would be surprised if these are the same cards that you're using to record the 400Mbps Intra footage too. Would that be incorrect?

What kind of cards were you using to record these clips?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:39 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
There is something wrong with that footage.

First of all it is not correct V-Log L footage as the code value ranges are completely off, second the video range is limited instead of full as it should be with V-Log L. Also the video is not 24p but 23.97p.

On further inspection on the metadata using exif tools all the Panasonic specific items are not available and there is a lot of Apple specific data instead.

Are you sure this is straight out of camera?
I am pretty sure it is absolutely not!
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:55 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
First of all it is not correct V-Log L footage as the code value ranges are completely off, second the video range is limited instead of full as it should be with V-Log L. Also the video is not 24p but 23.97p.
Steven said it was Cinelike D. Also, the GH5 adds the ability to record DCI 4K in 23.98.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series