DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Cheapest dual IS lens for the GH5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/534910-cheapest-dual-lens-gh5.html)

John Vincent November 7th, 2017 12:44 AM

Cheapest dual IS lens for the GH5?

From what I can tell, the older 12-60mm has dual 2.0 stabilization and is the cheapest way to
get that creamy smooth stabilization.

Anyone have any real world experience with this lens and the GH5 (or have any other suggestions)?

One of the things I'm looking for is a fast (say 1.8) wide (15mm or less) prime w/ dual IS, but apparently that doesn't exist yet - am I right on that?

Thanks for any help!

Gary Huff November 7th, 2017 08:51 AM

Re: Cheapest dual IS lens for the GH5?

Dual I.S. or the version 2 of it found on the GH5?

John Vincent November 7th, 2017 04:47 PM

Version 2.

Robert Lane November 14th, 2017 09:42 PM

Not exactly in-line with your question, but my opinion is that relying only on IBIS or lens IS is a waste of time and money. I've been using MF lenses and IBIS turned OFF with a unit very similar to this:

EC1: EC1 Beholder 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer with Encoders

Using a handheld stabilizer (and personally I think this single-handle type similar to the OSMO rig is much more logical that the two-handled beasts that can wreck your arms in minutes) gives you a world of *freedom* to choose whatever lens you want - at least up to a 28mm - and get a superbly stable shot, if you know how to *move* properly.

I've used IBIS with ultra-wides (24mm and lower) with "ok" results, but similar shots with the gimbal is just gorgeous.

I'll never rely on IBIS/IS ever again.

Noa Put November 15th, 2017 03:16 AM

I use IBIS all the time when I shoot handheld with very good results, it's the main reason I also got the g80 and gx80 as b-cams next to my gh5. I used a 12-35mm f2.8 v1 before as my goto lens but switched it for a 12-40 f2.8 olympus because I had issues with the panasonic lens, I got some jitter in the image with dual ibis that is not there on my olympus lens using ibis alone. My 42,5mm f1.7 which has inbuild stabilization and activates the dual ibis is very solid while shooting handheld, I can get very stable shots out of it, especially when using the new is lock mode on the gh5.

You only have to be careful with very wide lenses as the ibis can create a wobbly effect that can be too obvious to ruin the shot.

With the new "is lock" mode I can even get almost tripod like shots with my 75mm f1.8 prime for a short while which is perfect for those nice closeups from guests at a ceremony or reception.

I am aware the dual ibis 2.0 would be give me better results with some lenses but I"m perfectly happy what the ibis alone and the is lock mode provide.

John Vincent November 15th, 2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1938573)

Robert, I feel ya, but a couple of things....

One, those gimbals are very pricey (at least in my world). I've shot five features and the grand total of time I needed stedi-cam smooth is probably under 2 minutes for all of them combined (usually on sticks or a dolly). So for me, that's a lot of dough for what would be a very specialized shot.

Two, that in-body/in-camera IS gives you flexibility & portability. Let's you travel light. So too it gives you plausable deniability when shooting in a place that either doesn't allow shooting or requires a permit (having a gimbal, even a small one, screams "I'm making a movie!").

Don't get me wrong, I want one, but the budget just won't let me justify it.

Noa - doesn't the latest GH5 firmware eliminate the jitters on the v2 dual IS?

Rob Katz November 15th, 2017 09:41 PM

what if you need to use very long lenses for wildlife...300mm or 400mm or longer?

think any ibis system really works at those lengths?

think any handheld gimbal system will work at those lengths?

i welcome any and all thoughts.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions

Noa Put November 16th, 2017 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent (Post 1938591)
doesn't the latest GH5 firmware eliminate the jitters on the v2 dual IS?

My 12-35mm was the first gen lens, not the new one that enables a better stabilization in combination with the camera sensor stabilization, the lens worked fine most of the time but sometimes introduced jitter that was clearly visible on a big screen. Unfortunately "most of the time" is not good enough for me :) so I decided to get the Olympus 12-40 instead and had no issues since, the sensor stabilization alone is already very effective.

John Vincent November 17th, 2017 04:23 PM

I dream of the Oly 12-40mmm....

Only reason I haven'g gotten it is a) it's a little slow and b) I'm not sure how well it'll stabilize handheld w/ the GH5.

For some reason, there's not a lot of samples of the 12-40 & the GH5 on youtube (at least not that my bonehead can find).

Aldon Davis December 3rd, 2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Not exactly in-line with your question, but my opinion is that relying only on IBIS or lens IS is a waste of time and money. I've been using MF lenses and IBIS turned OFF with a unit very similar to this:

Using a handheld stabilizer (and personally I think this single-handle type similar to the OSMO rig is much more logical that the two-handled beasts that can wreck your arms in minutes) gives you a world of *freedom* to choose whatever lens you want - at least up to a 28mm - and get a superbly stable shot, if you know how to *move* properly.

I've used IBIS with ultra-wides (24mm and lower) with "ok" results, but similar shots with the gimbal is just gorgeous.

This seems like a bit of a misunderstanding of the different roles of lens and body stabilisation, and external stabilisation.
IBIS for video really gets used for smoothing out micro-judder and small imperfections. It's perfect for making hand-held footage look smooth and useable (i.e. - no judder - it still looks hand -held!). It's also great for monopod shots, which are generally 'almost stable'.
It's not, nor is intended to be, a competitor for gimbals or other external stabilisers. If you want smooth dolly-like movement you have to stabilise the whole camera, not just the few millimetres around the sensor.

Paul Cronin December 11th, 2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Robert,
Great link I might give this a try. Do you own this one?
Adding a GH5 and selling my Olympus OMD EM1 but keeping all the great Olympus Pro lens. Could be a nice added tool for a lot of my handheld on the water shots.