DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   $249 Z Camera E1 4K and DCI 4K Videos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535044-249-z-camera-e1-4k-dci-4k-videos.html)

Mark Rosenzweig December 3rd, 2017 09:00 AM

$249 Z Camera E1 4K and DCI 4K Videos

First, a return of the camera to its roots - Shenzhen:

Lumix 14-140mm Lens.

Roger Gunkel December 3rd, 2017 09:09 AM

Re: $249 Z Camera E1 4K and DCI 4K Videos

£699 in the UK, body only.

Roger

Mark Rosenzweig December 3rd, 2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1939206)
£699 in the UK, body only.

Roger

Odd.

I could buy @ $249 and start my own arbitrage business with UK customers.

Mark Rosenzweig December 3rd, 2017 04:10 PM

DCI 4K graded zlog:

True 24.00 fps.

Bruce Dempsey December 3rd, 2017 06:06 PM

Sure blew away my false preconceptions of Shenzhen. For some reason I envisioned factories with puffing smoke stacks and huge warehouses and grunge. lol sure got that wrong.
So what is this all about Mark? Do tell more svp

Mark Rosenzweig December 4th, 2017 03:52 PM

High-contrast sunny setting: graded zlog DCI 4K:

Bruce Dempsey December 4th, 2017 05:23 PM

Wonder what kind of rig that was shot from? was not on a tripod.
What do the experts here say about the worthiness of the footage?

Mark Rosenzweig December 5th, 2017 02:06 AM

Bruce Dempsey December 5th, 2017 07:36 AM

wish i could find a deal in canada

Alex Anderson December 6th, 2017 10:42 AM

Mark, great looking video and a great price for a 4k camera. How is the autofocus on this camera? Will it continuously track a person for focus? How is the low light/available light in dark scenes hold up? Any chance I can get a download of the original files off the camera so I can look close and try some color grading?

Alex

Mark Rosenzweig December 6th, 2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 1939300)
Mark, great looking video and a great price for a 4k camera. How is the autofocus on this camera? Will it continuously track a person for focus? How is the low light/available light in dark scenes hold up? Any chance I can get a download of the original files off the camera so I can look close and try some color grading?

Alex

Thanks. I have uploaded an original, straight from the camera, ungraded DCI 4K Zlog clip from the Zhejiang Campus video to Vimeo. You can download the original, by downloading the "Original" file, not any of the other resolutions (you may have to put a .MOV extension on the downloaded file). If you want some other clips from the videos, let me know.

The link:

AF performance is on par with that of the Panasonic cameras; I would not use any of them to track focus. Low-light is about the same as the Panasonic GH4, pretty decent.

Bruce Dempsey December 7th, 2017 07:17 AM

Well I couldn't resist and got one on order.
looks like a fun cam

Mark Rosenzweig December 7th, 2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1939325)
Well I couldn't resist and got one on order.
looks like a fun cam

It is fun, but you must update the firmware to .30 (easy). Don't even try using it with older firmware. And you have to get used to using the buttons, even for changing aperture, shutter, ISO. Two buttons are assignable (I use one for ev adjustment and the other for focus magnification), and check focus when you can by using the button for focus magnification. Push button to focus using AF is also very useful. The quality of the results continues to impress me, from this little thing.

Alex Anderson December 7th, 2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1939311)
Thanks. I have uploaded an original, straight from the camera, ungraded DCI 4K Zlog clip from the Zhejiang Campus video to Vimeo. You can download the original, by downloading the "Original" file, not any of the other resolutions (you may have to put a .MOV extension on the downloaded file). If you want some other clips from the videos, let me know.

The link:

Z Camera E1 Original Ungraded Zlog DCI 4K Clip on Vimeo

AF performance is on par with that of the Panasonic cameras; I would not use any of them to track focus. Low-light is about the same as the Panasonic GH4, pretty decent.

Found it. Thank you, Mark. Can you upload the same type of ungraded clips with people in the scene and some normal (not slo mo or timelapse) motion?

Mark Rosenzweig December 8th, 2017 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Anderson (Post 1939333)
Found it. Thank you, Mark. Can you upload the same type of ungraded clips with people in the scene and some normal (not slo mo or timelapse) motion?

I will do that. Right now, though, I am in China shooting video and cannot upload anything to YouTube or Vimeo. So, a few days.