When NOT to Use V-Log L: GH5 and Ninja Inferno at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

When NOT to Use V-Log L: GH5 and Ninja Inferno

I'm wondering if there is any context when shooting an indie feature where it would be a bad idea to use the V-Log L profile when capturing to a Ninja Inferno. Assume grading in post is not an issue.

I'd heard something about low-contrast scenes/cloudy days being red flags for this kind of profile, but not sure that person knew what he was talking about or if he was referring to issues with in-camera capture of V-Log.

I'd just as soon use V-Log L for everything with a LUT for monitoring purposes, but would like to know if there are contexts where I should be using something like Cine D. Thanks in advance!
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: When NOT to Use V-Log L: GH5 and Ninja Inferno

Nope, recording 10 bit V-Log is the best!
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 06:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Well, you are in true 10bit with that camera so grading is generally a "safe" sport to play.

However, only record at the MINIMUM ISO for VLog. If you are on a scene with VLog and you are wide open and running 1/60 or even possibly 1/30 shutter and STILL cant expose a stop to the right? I know its tempting but never leave that base ISO (0db). Instead, just go back to a brighter rec709 profile.

Remember, VLog and SLog COMPRESSES the brightness of your recording. They take the light comming in and SUPRESSES your brightness at a certain ratio.

This goes completely against your goal in low light situations where you might want all the light you can get. In this case Vlog and SLog are fighting the very thing that you want more of....."light". Also remember that ISO/gain have nothing to do with actual "light" at all. ISO/gain are not true "exposure" concepts and do NOT apply to how your image sensor sees light. Gain/ISO is something that an image processor does to a signal long AFTER "exposure" was completed.

If you can get proper exposure at base ISO without adding any gain and you are at a good shutter speed than VLog should be fine for that shot.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Rule of thumb: Low Light and V-Log don't mix. Imagine if you had a giant bucket, and the amount of light only filled it 1/4 of the way...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series