Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 10th, 2018, 03:49 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide.

I never shoot in log profiles, I agree with Keith if you don't have enough experience shooting and editing in log it's best to stay clear from it, the standard or natural profile are just fine for most uses.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #32
Major Player

I disagree with you because today I have just tried many tests shooting as "Hybrid Log Gamma" and then applying "Primary Color Corrector" filter as "Natural" profile and then modifying a bit it colours.
These are my testas:
www.dropbox.com/s/mmxb58pm07eudti/1.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/uz9wysqwf40w2jz/2.mp4?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/k7albsu3sv4b42v/3.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdys6hkhh42brmh/4.mp4?dl=0

1 and 3 with "Hybrid Log Gamma" and "Primary Color Corretion"
2 and 4 "Natural"

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; July 10th, 2018 at 06:19 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 05:37 AM   #33
Inner Circle

I hate to say it but you just proved my point, I only looked at 3 and 4, you turned the sky in .3 into cyan and you blew the highlights but if you are happy with that then who am I to tell you any different.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 06:06 AM   #34
Major Player

ahaha, you are right. I noticed it. The clip was a bit overexposed. Now I have just modified it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7albsu3sv4b42v/3.mp4?dl=0
The sky was bad but th color of the houses is much closer to reality. Anyway I thanks you for your suggestion. But you can not refute saying that 1 is worse than 2. ;)
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #35
Trustee

Log is better than other profiles for many scenarios, especially vLog where the colour science is slightly better. It's more forgiving on high contrast scenes, so outdoors, very sunny shots, it shows it's worth. That said, it's easier to screw up in edit and needs practise and understanding and monitoring ideally to bring out it's best. Natural and other camera profiles are safer. Though I've never been happier with them myself and am loving using vLog this year after experimenting with HLG. Thanks to a lot of very talented people, I have a number of LUT to choose from to give my footage a distinctive look. So am experimenting with different looks and styles and grades i never really was able to do before.

Short answer, you want the best footage, shoot log and !earn to grade. If you want an easier life with less risk, choose Natural or any of the other profiles.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series