DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/535560-variable-nd-filter-quality-need-help-decide.html)

Arthur Abramov March 13th, 2018 05:50 AM

Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide.

What is the difference between brands, Tiffen and Hoya & ect.?

What do you guys use on your lenses?
I'm using a sigma 18-35 1.8.

Steven Schuldt March 15th, 2018 03:24 PM

Re: Variable ND Filter Quality? Need help to decide.

I don't use variable NDs generally, as many can create issues (while shooting anamorphic, for example). The best ND filters I've found are from Breakthrough Photography:

https://breakthrough.photography

John C. Chu March 18th, 2018 06:30 AM

As an enthusiast, there are a ton of inexpensive variable ND's out there and I think it is worth buying a cheap one to try out and see if it works for you.

The thing about variable ND's and the cheaper ones, is whether or not there will be a color shift and whether it will show an "X" or uneven filtration at maximum ND. Usually backing off the ND and stopping down the aperture will avoid it.

I assume the pricier ones will address those concerns.

Vishal Jadhav March 25th, 2018 03:05 AM

The variable NDs are useful for sure as you would like the aperture to be enough to create a right DOF.

I have used Variable NDs and still use them, on wider lenses like the 12-35 i use a TIFFEN 77mm Variable ND as i found that most of these have a bit of color shift on the outer end near the edges at higher value so using a bigger ND than you need avoids it, i found it very useful when shooting mid day too.

This is a example of what i shot with the ND last year and it was around 11am onwards

its surely useful

Simon Chan June 30th, 2018 10:59 AM

Hoya Solas Variable NDX. No colour shift, no polarizing effect and maintains sharpness. It out perform even fixed NDs.
Never thought it is possible a variable ND can overcome these issues. This is the new gold standard for NDs variable or fixed.

Adriano Moroni June 30th, 2018 01:55 PM

I have a Hoya ND fixed filter and I made many tests, then I evaluated the quality of the image with a big monitor. I have to tell Hoya mixes the colors and degrades the definition but it is enough imperceptible. I think it's hard to say that a variable ND filter is better than a fixed one. But if you say so maybe you did the tests too. I wanted buy B&W BW1075251 Neutral density but if you say that Hoya ND variable filter is even better than the fixed one, I will think about it.

Simon Chan June 30th, 2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1944999)
I have a Hoya ND fixed filter and I made many tests, then I evaluated the quality of the image with a big monitor..

Not this one
http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/produ...densityfilter/

This is the one
http://solasndx.hoyafilterusa.com

Only just came out a few months ago so not many around and they are not cheap.

Cary Knoop June 30th, 2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav (Post 1942431)
The variable NDs are useful for sure as you would like the aperture to be enough to create a right DOF.

I have used Variable NDs and still use them, on wider lenses like the 12-35 i use a TIFFEN 77mm Variable ND as i found that most of these have a bit of color shift on the outer end near the edges at higher value so using a bigger ND than you need avoids it, i found it very useful when shooting mid day too.

This is a example of what i shot with the ND last year and it was around 11am onwards

Sudan - Last Male Standing - YouTube

its surely useful

Nice!

Great GH5 shirt by the way.
Why doesn't Panasonic send me one? ;)

Adriano Moroni June 30th, 2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Chan (Post 1945000)
Not this one
HOYA | The Difference is Clear

This is the one
Solas NDX – The Sharpest – Most Color Consistent – No Compromises

Only just came out a few months ago so not many around and they are not cheap.

I understand, it is the best ND variable filter. Out of curiosity: do you use ithe variable ND filter with lens hood. Did you buy the filter with the same size of the lens or larger?

Cliff Totten June 30th, 2018 05:01 PM

Have used a few but the SLR Magic is the best I have seen. No X pattern and is ultra sharp. It has a ring lever and hard stops. Google them.

Simon Chan June 30th, 2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1945002)
I understand, it is the bess ND variable filter. Out of curiosity: do you use ithe variable ND filter with lens hood. Did you buy the filter with the same size of the lens or larger?

No lens hood. I use a matte box if needed. I get the largest 82mm and use step up rings.
Solas are generally not available outside USA.

Simon Chan June 30th, 2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1945004)
Have used a few but the SLR Magic is the best I have seen. No X pattern and is ultra sharp. It has a ring lever and hard stops. Google them.

I have the SLR Magic MkII it is as sharp as the Solas but like most variable ND it is vulnerable to polarisation. It allows you to change the angle of polarisation but it is a pain when you shoot in field and does not completely remove it, you just move polarisation from one area to another. It also shift to warm as you dial up the density. It only goes up to 6 stops which is not enough for me. There are times when I need to shoot at ISO 1600 to get an extra stop of highlight on a Blackmagic camera and 6 stops is simply not enough.

Adriano Moroni July 1st, 2018 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1945004)

Do you mean this one?
https://www.amazon.it/SLR-Magic-Refl...agic+ND+filter

Then .... if I have a Leica 12-60mm lens 62mm, it is better I buy a larger ND variable filter (for the problem of vignetting) or 62mm is better?
I think you don't use lens hood, right?

Adriano Moroni July 1st, 2018 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Chan (Post 1945006)
No lens hood. I use a matte box if needed. I get the largest 82mm and use step up rings.

It is nice to use matte box, but I can't use it. I need a very practical thing when I travel.

Simon Chan July 1st, 2018 01:39 AM

You can buy a screw in lens hood that goes on to the front of the filter.