GH5(S): HLG v. V-LogL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 16th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GH5(S): HLG v. V-LogL

Have been playing around with HLG and various LUTs (https://www.leeminglutone.com). Really enjoying the ease/speed of workflow, the flexibility, and the rather impressive results (note: I do not currently have an HDR monitor, and have enabled highlight clipping in FCPX).

At this point my best sense regarding use of HLG for more than hobbyist stuff looks like:

1) If you don't have the time/tools/talent to grade V-LogL properly, consider HLG.
2) If you want/need to preserve slightly more color data than V-LogL, consider HLG.
3) If you're dealing with a lot of low-light situations, consider HLG.
4) If you love the look and are willing to live for awhile on the bleeding edge to get it, consider HLG.

In terms of HDR delivery, one might have an easier path starting from HLG, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to choose it over V-LogL.

Any thoughts/opinions/corrections welcome.
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series