GH-5 image in viewscreen dims at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 6th, 2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Major Player

GH-5 image in viewscreen dims

I have been getting used to my new GH-5, and find an annoying behavior every time I use it. After about 30 seconds into shooting a scene, the image in the view screen automatically darkens. It may be half a stop, maybe a full stop. It is very noticeable, and happens even if I am not touching the camera. It happens with every new clip. Reviewing the actual footage shows no such changes. Is this some way the camera is trying to save battery power? Whatever it is, I would like to get rid of it. Can someone suggest how?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: GH-5 image in viewscreen dims

On the wrench menu turn OFF "Economy" , page 2/4 and on the cWrench menu page 4/6 make sure constant preview in On
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ron. I'll try it.
Old May 12th, 2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Ron,

I took your suggestion. All it did was to activate that awful function where the viewfinder goes on and the monitor screen goes off when something passes close to the camera (like my face).

Any other ideas?
Old May 12th, 2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Fn5 button on the left side of the viewfinder set whether the viewfinder or monitor is set. You may have pressed this to set on auto. Page 42 in the manual. Also look at pages 238 and 239 I have mode 2 selected
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Trustee

My GH5 does this too. After about 30 seconds of not touching anything, my screen dimms quite a bit. If you touch the screen or any button, it jumps back into full brightness.

No economy setting seems to disable this feature.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You have the monitor set to auto or mode 1 Cliff. You can adjust the standard birghtness to taste too. page 238 in manual. In mode 1 the monitor will reset to standard brightness after 30 sec. If you touch anything it will brighten up again. Standard , mode 2 setting will not adjust to ambient light though so you will need to manually set how you want it to look.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series