GH5 imagestabilisation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 6th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

GH5 imagestabilisation

I was shooting at an event today and was using my 40-150mm f2.8 lens on my gh5 handheld, Canon might have their unrivalled dual pixel autofocus system but Panasonic has their unrivalled stabilization, I even dare to question if Olympus can beat what I am showing in below video.

I do know that Olympus has a more efficient sensor stabilization but with the last firmware update Panasonic added I.S. lock to the GH5 which is so good in getting tripodlike shots that it's ridiculous.

Just to demonstrate how efficient it is I did a quick shot in my backyard, you see me zooming in from 40 to 150mm, focussing and then I"m engaging I.S. lock which I have assigned to the button next to the lens on the gh5 body. This is the full frame equivalent focal length of 300mm with a UNstabilized lens, so only sensor stabilization with added I.S. lock.

password: IS

Last edited by Noa Put; May 6th, 2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH5 imagestabilisation

I have just bought a 45-200 tele lens for my GH5. At full zoom (the FF equivalent of 400mm), it is remarkably steady although I haven't used the IS lock function yet.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The is lock is only good for shots that don't move so panning or tilting will give a jerky movement but if you want something that comes very close to a fixed tripod shot this is it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Major Player

One of the downsides of IS, (including in post) is that when the shutter angle is anything but very short (usually recommended to avoid 'gritty' video), the stabilised video shows blurred edges on the trailing side of moving images. The problem is that with the edge locked still, the motion blur is much more visible. When there is camera shake, the blur follows the edges to smooth the motion (as in motion blur which the eye accepts with movement).
The only fix that I can see is to shoot with a very small shutter angle, then apply motion blur or frame blending in post, (if the stabilisation is done by a an NLE then make sure that the motion blur is done after it).
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series