Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 25th, 2018, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it?

Hi, a friend of mine advised me to use this viewfinder on sunny days. Have you ever used it? Is it useful to make videos?This is the link: https://www.amazon.it/GGS-Swivi-S5-l...evole+SWIVI+S5

Thank you
Old July 25th, 2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it?

Considering where you will be shooting you"ll need something to shield off incoming sunlight when you look through the viewfinder, what's on the gh5 now is not sufficient for that purpose. A addon loupe for the lcd screen will certainly help to get a better view of what you are shooting.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Major Player

At first glance this particular example seems massively overpriced. There are much lower cost even maybe identical versions available, shop around. The can be useful on some cameras where the EVF shuts down when shooting video (like the Canon 60D) or where your rig stops you from using the EVF.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 12:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Listing View Post
At first glance this particular example seems massively overpriced. There are much lower cost even maybe identical versions available, shop around. The can be useful on some cameras where the EVF shuts down when shooting video (like the Canon 60D) or where your rig stops you from using the EVF.
Maybe you didn't ever use that kind of viewfinder and you don't understand its usefulness in sunny days. Surely it also has its downsides. Anyway I don't understand why only one or two viewfinders have a cockpit that gives the option to see the screening LCD image from above so that you can shots putting the camera down.
Attached Thumbnails
Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it?-41hy9bjyggl.jpg   Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it?-78.jpg  

Viewfinder for LCD: have you ever used it?-5.jpg  

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; July 26th, 2018 at 06:46 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Major Player

I have three versions of these including a Zacuto and a version of the one you've illustrated all be it without the ability of that one to "look round corners". However I very seldom use any of them because for me its far more important to be able to adjust setting on the fly by touching the lcd without having to remove a viewfinder. I improvise with a shade if needs be even if its just a baseball cap to hand; sometimes I carry the Zacuto on a lanyard on my shoulder. I'm using canons rather than Panasonics but I guess its the same scenario.

I'm not sure if the Pannys can work with smartphones (both wireless and wired) but if so that would be another option. The smartphones can of course be used to control the cams and do not need to be physically close to the cams.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

I am somewhat astonished.
I have always used a pro cam and I therefor always had a viewfinder with an eypiece.
Furthermore, I prefered to buy a camera that had the most important settings under a specific button.
I recomend a procam to all of you, allthough it is slightly more expensive.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Many are telling me GGS Swivi S5 is a very usefufl piece. Other guys are telling GH5 EVF has a lot more definition than a LCD screen and it is not usefull. What is your thought about the definition of LCD?

About ProCam, what ProCam do you seggest? I thin it is big and I never can buy it and use it in my trips around the world.
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Trustee

There is always this company, which makes a very useful product that transforms your LCD into an EFV. I don't have one, but made one almost identical a few years ago, & love using it.
https://vary-i.com/
Old July 26th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Vary-i seems a valid solution for my GH5 because I am going to Africa where there are sunny days. Many times I shoot with the camera at the hips and I can't see inside the EVF. I was thinking to buy Vary-i loupe for my GH5, but before I need to know your experiences with it. It is a little expensive and I don't like to throw away money. I know GH5 LCD screen has worse resolution than the EVF and it is only 800 x 600 pixels. Could you give me some real suggestions please?

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; July 26th, 2018 at 10:46 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Maybe you didn't ever use that kind of viewfinder and you don't understand its usefulness in sunny days.
I've actually still got a collection of this type of viewfinder from years ago (hence the mention of the 60D), and like I said, they can be useful. None of them ever cost near as much as the Euro 243 example you pointed to, even the Zacuto, maybe prices have gone up. But there's no electronic parts and I doubt the optics on that model are anything special, up to you if you think the dual view is worth a few hundred Euros. Although it wouldn't suit field use, you can buy a Lilliput monitor with hood for less. I agree with other posters that if you've got an EVF without a rig you don't need a loupe. Other thing, the fittings on these loupes tend to be loose or fiddly (I finally ended up gluing one on with hot melt). BTW, I've just come back from Africa, the "remote tribes" seemed to have a very good understanding of the value of money.
Old July 26th, 2018, 11:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Adriano, since my post above I've just been thinking about this - I don't think you'd get any benefit at all from this device on a hand-held or tripod mounted GH5. Note you still have to put your eye on it to shoot, so it doesn't do more than the EVF. What you're probably really after is a sunhood
Old July 27th, 2018, 05:13 AM   #12
Major Player

Yes, you are right but I can shoot from below. Look at thie link: https://vary-i.com/product/vary-i-solo-for-the-gh5/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series