Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 28th, 2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5

I'm back from a month's trip in Ethiopia and maybe I'll sell the GH5, but here in my country I have to make some other tests in Automatic before deciding. The people in the forum is very well prepared and knows the GH5 well and also their work but not mine and often they give incorrect advice. I started to hate my GH5 for many reasons. 1) In manual I could never shoot what I wanted but I shot only the final part of what I wanted to film. In manual way I always got a delay of 10-15 seconds in order to change shutter speed, aperture, etc. etc. 2) Every time I needed to change or remove the ND filter and / or the lens it made me stomach cramps. 3) It is impossible to hold the GH5 in the hand as well as a videocamera. 4) It does not have the zoom like a video camera. 5) Batteries do not last like those of the camcorder. 6) Stabilizing the videocamera is better when you film walking. 7) The audio is worse than that of a videocamera. etc. etc.
I stop here because otherwise I get depression just talking about the problems GH5 gave me. On the other hand I got a wonderful video quality. There is only one problem: this time I will not be able to do the video editing of my trip because it is not what I wanted.
Now I would like to try GH5 in Automatic to see how it responds. If I'm not satisfied I sell it. I think it is not the right camera for me. The technicians of the video can not understand what I do in my travels.
Good night to all.
Old September 28th, 2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Report of the trip in Ethiopia with the GH5

Quote:
The people in the forum is very well prepared and knows the GH5 well and also their work but not mine and often they give incorrect advice.
Seriously? Now it's our fault you messed up? :)

I told you before that you needed a simple point and shoot camera with auto functionality, based on all questions you asked you come across as someone with very basic knowledge in handling a video camera, there is nothing wrong with that but then don't buy and use a complicated camera without practise and then blame the camera and the rest of the world for it if it didn't work out, you might not like to hear it but it's the person behind the camera that is the problem here.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Seriously? Now it's our fault you messed up? :)

I told you before that you needed a simple point and shoot camera with auto functionality, based on all questions you asked you come across as someone with very basic knowledge in handling a video camera, there is nothing wrong with that but then don't buy and use a complicated camera without practise and then blame the camera and the rest of the world for it if it didn't work out, you might not like to hear it but it's the person behind the camera that is the problem here.
....ditto

Adriano, hopefully this will be a lesson hard learned and you take Noa's reply to heart, and come away with some experience that will help you improve your skills in the future. I give you credit for asking a lot of questions before your trip, but seriously, just about every time someone replied, you argued with their answer to the point I often wondered why you asked because you acted like a know-it all.

If you feel we do not understand your work, perhaps you should consider it is the person explaining it, not necessarily the people trying to understand it. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't remember reading any of your post explaining your assignment and asking what camera platform would be best suited.

As Noa points out, before you venture off into a challenging shoot environment, it is always on the shoulder of the cameraman to become skilled with their camera and equipment. It often takes many hundreds of hours shooting to become proficient. If it is taking 10-15 seconds to make manual adjustment on the GH5 I would think you just haven't given yourself time to become skilled enough in a pressure shooting setting.

I might also suggest you visit a doctor, as I have no idea and have never heard of anyone getting stomach cramps from changing a lens or removing an ND filter. There is probably something else causing your stomach issue.

If you have had any experience with a camcorder, you should have noticed the physical platform differences the moment you picked up the GH5, or similar size and shape DSLR. If you haven't experience with a camcorder, you are still speaking out of your inexperience. I've been shooting with cameras from 56 years, stills, film and video. Just about every size, shape, weight, and type of handheld to should mount rigs and I can shoot with any of them on any project. Yes, some are better suited for a job than others, but it is our skills which determine the platform we select and our obligation to learn the equipment, both it's advantages and it's short falls and learn to adjust.

Of course it does not have a zoom like a camcorder!! What lens are you using/selected on the GH5, and what camcorder are you comparing it to? And, what camera are you comparing the battery life to? I think you are ranting and whining brought on by your frustration to realize the biggest problem your having with shooting a project may be yourself.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.......the audio in the GH5 is not up to par with some camcorders, not all. That is why we use audio recording gear with DSLR and Camcorders, the audio in almost all cameras suck! But despite this short fall, what kind of mics were you using? I would venture to say you expected the in camera mic to record good audio, your inexperience again is showing.

And, you never tried the GH5 in auto modes before your trip to compare to manual? Are you serious? Again, your inexperience and lack of developing skills, caused by yourself, put you in a corner. Your mistake isn't that uncommon. There are many people who think all they need is a brand name camera and watch a few Youtube videos, to venture off and capture video in an exotic land, to find out the hard way, that filming is a lot harder than it may look!

You most likely will take my criticism as beating up on you, I'm not, I hope you will take it as constructive. But at this point maybe it is a good idea for you to sell your GH5. But before you purchase another camera, maybe use the money to take a few film classes, rent equipment instead of buying and do some self-training projects to determine which equipment is best suited for you. Or, maybe just take the money and go on holiday to the islands and relax on the beach for a few days to unwind, and consider your career path options!
Old September 28th, 2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think right from the beginning we all told you that a camcorder with inbuilt ND's was the thing you wanted. But you were determined to buy the GH5. As you have found out unfortunately it is not that easy to use compared to a camcorder. The AX100 you have is fine. It is you that need to get the best out of it rather than continuously run in auto if you wanted better image quality. I think a few of us gave you some advice on trying different settings etc.

I am sorry you are disappointed but I am afraid the rest of us predicted what has happened.

Last edited by Ron Evans; September 29th, 2018 at 06:10 AM.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Again many of your replies make me smile a lot and above those of George Dean. Do you think to take less time thaj 10 seconds for shooting once you turn on your GH5? ahahaha I think you don't understand my work. Do you travel alone? Do you go in remote areas? Do you go where the sun pulp the brain? Do you go where you can't eat for several days? You still don't understand my work and you are giving me advices. If you turn on your GH5, after choosing the shutter speed and camera aperture, then after to have adjusted the variable ND filter and then the focus, how many seconds do you need? If you are really experienced and you take less than 10 seconds before shooting you are a liar. And if you take around 10 seconds and you tell me it is ok for a good shot you don't know my work. Please, I don't want those suggestions.
Now I know very well my GH5, I mean basic knowledge. That's what I need.
Old September 28th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well Adriano, Thank You for your reply, it certainly does provide more information and insight into your issues. Without a doubt you did not take my critic as constructive, which doesn't surprise me. From your initial post and this past reply it is clear to me that everything happens to you, no one else has it as hard or demanding and we (or at least I) will never understand your tremendous work overload. You say that without knowing me and include the word 'liar'. I feel sorry for you, but can't help you. We are never going to communicate on a meaningful level, and frankly I'm good with that. Have a nice day little feller.
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Major Player

"A bad workman blames his tools". Something my dad used to say. So irritating.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
1) In manual I could never shoot what I wanted but I shot only the final part of what I wanted to film. In manual way I always got a delay of 10-15 seconds in order to change shutter speed, aperture
It is possible to set the exposure to auto so that all you have to do is focus meaning power up the camera, halfpress the shutterbutton to prefocus and press further to record, that you can do within 2 seconds, so yes, you could get a usable shot out of the camera in 2 seconds, not 10 or 15 if you want. You even could try your luck and let the camera autofocus so then you only need to power the camera and press record. I could tell you how to set this in the cameramenu but since you called us liars for being able to do it quicker then 10 seconds I won't.

Quote:
2) Every time I needed to change or remove the ND filter and / or the lens it made me stomach cramps.
Didn't you know the gh5 is not a fixed lens camera? If you need to shoot in an environment where you don't have the time to change lenses then put on a zoom with a wide range like a 12-100mm from Olympus. There is a way to magnetically attach a nd filter to your lens so that you don't waste time to screw it off or on, just stick it to the lens or pull it off, can be done in 2 seconds. I could tell you where to get such a magnetic nd system but you probably will find it wrong advice so I won't bother.
Quote:
3) It is impossible to hold the GH5 in the hand as well as a videocamera.
Didn't you know the gh5 has the shape of a photocamera? basically it's designed to take photos which doesn't mean you can't shoot video with it but it will be more difficult. That's like buying a motorcycle, stopping at a red light and don't put your feet on the ground and then fall over. You won't complain then that you don't have that problem with a car unless you find it normal that someone has to explain the difference between 2 and 4 wheels.

Quote:
4) It does not have the zoom like a video camera.
Again, the gh5 is a photocamera, none of the lenses for it have the controllable smooth speed like fixed zooms on videocamera's.

Quote:
5) Batteries do not last like those of the camcorder.
There are solutions to externally power the camera for a longer period like there exist a small monitor which allows to power the monitor and camera simultaniously whith a much bigger battery but for a weird reason I just forgot which type it is.

Quote:
6) Stabilizing the videocamera is better when you film walking.
The GH5 has one of the best stabilising you will find for photocamera's, not as good as some videocamera's but still better then what sony or canon offers. If you want to walk around with the camera then use a gimbal, the stabilising is not made for that purpose.

Quote:
7) The audio is worse than that of a videocamera
The gh5 has a xlr unit you can mount on top of the camera so you can use professional mikes for better audio.

I found it necessary to respond to the issues you faced to make it clear it's your lack of understanding that is causing it but I don't feel like providing you with any possible solutions as you made it clear you find us all too stupid to understand what you actually need, this is also my last response to you, I wish you luck in your travels to shoot video because you will need it.

Last edited by Noa Put; September 29th, 2018 at 02:25 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #9
Trustee

Adriano, you've only got yourself to blame. You were given the best possible advice. Most here predicted that whilst you wanted the improved video quality of the GH5, you were unprepared for the steep learning curve switching to such a camera entails. It took me a few years to properly adapt and it's true I'm still learning. Even with the GH5, it took me a few shoots to really get to grips with the camera and that is coming from someone who used the GH2, GH3 and GH4.

It takes time to master any tool and you seemed to wanted to avoid that learning curve by asking lots of questions instead and not always giving full thought to the answers. Well as I you found out, experience is a better teacher than forums can provide. Following your previous threads, I could easily see you were heading for a fall. You were unwilling to consider that a camera like a GH5 needs plenty of time and practise before committing to a run and gun filming situation, where it's critical to get your shot.

The GH5 is not a camcorder and you can't expect to use it as if it is one. Accept its limitations rather than fighting them and you get great results. It means working differently.

And I can get a shot in less than 10 seconds. Shutter is set to constant 180 degrees, aperture is handled by the dial on my lens and I can put on an nd filter in 5 seconds, but if outdoors it stays on. Indoors it's almost always off. I have switched the camera On and filmed in less than 10 seconds. It takes practise.

Now I'm sure we know little of your work, but your situation is not that different to anyone else new to the camera. I am sure most of us here could film in similar circumstances and get better results. It's not the remote location, heat, working alone or lack of food that was your downfall, it's simply lack of experience with a different type of camera.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 06:11 AM   #10
Major Player

I will have a hard brain and I still don't understand you. 1) Has anyone ever told me to use the GH5 automatically? Noooooo, only I asked if I could get decent results using the camera in automatic mode and all you answered me to use it in manual mode. Now you tell me I need 2 seconds to use it in automatic mode? I know it but maybe I get better video with a videocamera in automatic mode.
2) It seems you don't know well GH5 as me. Every time I turned on my camera I noticed every config were changed: shutter speed, camera aperture and variable ND filter. I always had to confif them again.
I always wanted to use my GH5 in automatic but you don't recommend this way.
Old September 29th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Trustee

Every time I switch on my camera, my shutter is exactly the same at 180 degrees. Aperture is controlled by my lens. Though some have to be controlled via the camera. Never had an issue. ND filter is external so nothing to do with switching the camera on.

Unless your camera is C1, C2 or C3, it won't reset. Of course you can set these to certain settings including aperture, shutter and ISO and it'll be that setting no matter how often you turn the camera off and on.

Get to know your camera. I spent a few months customising every button to my liking. You can use manual mode and let ISO run as auto. Leaving shutter set to 180 degrees permantly and just adjust aperture to your needs. Takes seconds to start shooting.
Old September 29th, 2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Like Noa this may be my last response to you as you do not seem willing to take anyone's advice.

You are confused as to deciding on quality and tools for the job considering your own capabilities. You will have to get this sorted out in your brain before moving forward. For instance a RED camera will provide better quality than the GH5 but I am sure would be even more inappropriate than the GH5.

You have a perfectly good camera, the AX100 but it is your knowledge that is holding you back in getting better images from it. As others have suggested I think you need to go to some courses so that a live instructor can give you advice and critic. Not watching things on the internet or reading books. Things will not get better until you improve your skill level. I think most all of us feel the week link in the process is you not any of the cameras you have at the moment.

I have the GH5, GH5S, AX100 and AX53. They are used for very different situations. Shooting theatre its the GH5, GH5S and AX100 on tripods. If I am shooting my family events with grandchildren running around it is the AX53 for very good reasons. It has the best stabilizer out of all the cameras I have with the longest zoom so I do not get in the way of any action is small enough and the battery last a long time. When I go skiing its a totally different set. Sony HX30V pocket camera with 20x optical zoom taking stills and video also the Sony AS30 actioncam. Do these compare on absolute image quality. Of course not the GH5S is by far the best of the group but running around hand held is a disaster compared to the AX53.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
Every time I switch on my camera, my shutter is exactly the same at 180 degrees. Aperture is controlled by my lens. Though some have to be controlled via the camera. Never had an issue. ND filter is external so nothing to do with switching the camera on.
I don't know what is your work with GH5 but I always make trek in the day and in the night. In manual way I want to leave the shutter speed around 1/100 and to manage the aperture. But very time I turn on my GH5 I notice the shutter speed has changed to 1/50 or 1/25 or 1/250, etc. I have always to set it manually at 1/100.
Old September 29th, 2018, 10:20 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I don't know what is your work with GH5 but I always make trek in the day and in the night. In manual way I want to leave the shutter speed around 1/100 and to manage the aperture. But very time I turn on my GH5 I notice the shutter speed has changed to 1/50 or 1/25 or 1/250, etc. I have always to set it manually at 1/100.
My work covers Weddings, corporate work, plenty of run n gun work and also long distance walks, mountain treking as well. However that has absolutely nothing to do with the settings on your camera. Let me clear. Battery life has nothing to do with your work, the ability to handhold the camera has nothing to do with your work. In fact most of your issues you raise have nothing to do with your work and are quite common to anyone being introduced to the GH5 having worked a camcorder.

The shutter speed should not reset. Either your camera is faulty or your settings are wrong. When I switch off my camera, and then switch it back on the shutter speed is the same. In fact aperture and ISO are the same. The only thing that can change is focus. I've just tried it now. I turned on my camera that was switched off an hour ago after speeches and the settings are identical to what I had set during the speeches. So something is amiss with your camera.
Old September 29th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #15
Major Player

Steve, I don't have problems in my country with those setting. I had them only in Ethiopia. Maybe in my trips I handle badly my. GH5.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series